Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Julian927 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Originally Posted by sandch
You brave people! Any idea when it will be broadcast?
Steve
Not really any idea on broadcast time, definitely next year rather than this. We will try and find out more during the filming and post on this forum.
Julie and Ian
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MikenSueNW3
What an Aussie welcome!

One query for future reference: Did the RTA "deface" your UK licences when issuing the NSW ones? (It can be useful to have UK ones in reserve for return visits.)

Mike
No our UK licence was returned completely unharmed. One thing worth considering though, when our son returned to the UK at some point, his photo card had expired - as the photo needs renewing every 5 years - and he was unable to renew it as he was not a UK resident - I had to tell my insurance company this fact - they were OK with it, but apparently if I had not told them his insurance would have been void.
Julie and Ian
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:08 am

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Julian927
We needed passports, UK driving licences - you need the original issued date which is not the one on the photo card - so you take the paper part - otherwise you are in danger of being issued with a P plate!! Evidence of your Australian address - they suggested a utility bill which as we had only been here for a couple of days we did not have. We went to our bank and changed our address from our UK address to our son's address and asked for a printed statement. In fact they gave us a letter, stamped. Luckily I also took an old statement that had our UK address on it. On arrival at the RTA they said the bank letter was not acceptable on its own, but with the old statement they accepted it. You can buy 1, 3 or 5 year licences - progressively better value for money. We chose 5 year at $153
The RTA office was very efficient, you fill in the form, take a number, a bit like Waitrose meat counter and sit and wait to be called. They take your photo there and then and about 5 minutes later you are given your licence.
Julie and Ian
Presumably you have your visa label in your passports? As the visa is one of the documents required, those few that have had their visas issued electronically will need some form of proof of that, when going for their driving licences?

Cheers

Matt
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:18 am

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda

The only thing I can think of is that they are referring to the reduction in the number of years needed for a pension, but that happened a while ago, or have I missed something?
Could be. It can't refer to the more recent "plan" for a standard basic pension of £140pw, as that hasn't been formulated yet.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:20 am

We needed passports, UK driving licences - you need the original issued date which is not the one on the photo card - so you take the paper part - otherwise you are in danger of being issued with a P plate!! Evidence of your Australian address - they suggested a utility bill which as we had only been here for a couple of days we did not have. We went to our bank and changed our address from our UK address to our son's address and asked for a printed statement. In fact they gave us a letter, stamped. Luckily I also took an old statement that had our UK address on it. On arrival at the RTA they said the bank letter was not acceptable on its own, but with the old statement they accepted it. You can buy 1, 3 or 5 year licences - progressively better value for money. We chose 5 year at $153
The RTA office was very efficient, you fill in the form, take a number, a bit like Waitrose meat counter and sit and wait to be called. They take your photo there and then and about 5 minutes later you are given your licence.
Julie and Ian
Thank you, that's useful information!

Cheers

Steve
Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

It was well worth the postage and has already saved us a lot of hassle.

Julie
Totally agree with this. Couldn't have got my seniors discount card without it!

Charlie
Old Oct 29th 2010, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by charlie5
Totally agree with this. Couldn't have got my seniors discount card without it!

Charlie
Yes we applied for that today, just took our passports complete with visa page plus our Australian Driving Licence to a local JP ( 5 minutes away) and have sent away for our Seniors Discount Card.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 11:53 am

Yes we applied for that today, just took our passports complete with visa page plus our Australian Driving Licence to a local JP ( 5 minutes away) and have sent away for our Seniors Discount Card.
Discount Vegemite, wow, I am getting really excited now

Cheers

Matt
Old Oct 29th 2010, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by sirmatt101
Discount Vegemite, wow, I am getting really excited now

Cheers

Matt
So they actually make you pay for Vegemite?
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by sandch
So they actually make you pay for Vegemite?
Careful Steve, you haven't left these shores just yet

I am really hopeful that once you are out there in Oz, wearing your shorts, hat with corks, tinnie in one hand, that you will come to the realisation that Vegemite is part of life.........

Cheers

Matt
Old Oct 29th 2010, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Careful Steve, you haven't left these shores just yet

I am really hopeful that once you are out there in Oz, wearing your shorts, hat with corks, tinnie in one hand, that you will come to the realisation that Vegemite is part of life.........

Cheers

Matt
We have just finished breakfast here, Saturday morning - toast and Bovril! We save our Marmite for fresh bread and butter. (It certainly added weight to our baggage - 2 large jars of each!)
Julie
Old Oct 30th 2010, 8:17 am

We have just finished breakfast here, Saturday morning - toast and Bovril! We save our Marmite for fresh bread and butter. (It certainly added weight to our baggage - 2 large jars of each!)
Julie
It will eventually run out - and what then - VEGEMITE

Matt
Old Oct 30th 2010, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

It will eventually run out - and what then - VEGEMITE

Matt
Ugh! It makes your breath smell, or should I say, it makes ones breath smell. I think I would buy My Mate.
Julie
Old Oct 30th 2010, 5:11 pm
fiz
Forum Regular

fiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud of

Ugh! It makes your breath smell, or should I say, it makes ones breath smell. I think I would buy My Mate.
Julie
For all of us marmite lovers..some Christmas ideas?

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/C~200295~Marmite
Old Oct 30th 2010, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by fiz
For all of us marmite lovers..some Christmas ideas?

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/C~200295~Marmite
Well, whatever makes you happy

Matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.