British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cpv-off-topic-posts-now-sparkling-lifestyle-chat-australia-695388/)

Les Avalook Nov 22nd 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Originally Posted by fiz (Post 8997606)
Hi Steve-I got a case officer today!!!! Could you update the tracker please? (The date I was assigned one was the 20th but it took a couple of days to come through from my agent)

Best regards

Fiz

Great news Fiz, we saw your post last night and then checked the tracker to find you are 1 month ahead of us. :ohmy:

Guess what, the 4.am wake up started last night. :o

We are having a meal with our son and his partner tonight, the one that is staying in the UK, so we can let him know how close it is getting.

sirmatt101 Nov 22nd 2010 6:51 pm

Re: Driving licenses

Originally Posted by sandch (Post 8997987)
We overlooked one thing folks (well only one so far but watch this space).

In Victoria, if you have entered on a permanent visa you can drive for 6 months after first entry on the permanent visa on your UK license, then you have to get a Vic one.

So if you travel to validate, the 6 months starts then. If your next visit is outside that initial 6-month period, you have no valid license on which to drive.

So, having discovered that, we've booked in at Werribee on Friday to get it sorted. Should have done it in September 2009! And I expect someone has commented on it in these threads in the past and I missed it. I dont know what the other state rules are.

So remember - it may be better to get the driving license sorted out on the validation trip.

Hi Steve, thats quite a good point. When we got our drivers licences back in Jan/Feb in Qld, we had to have a residential address with some proof of that address, as well as passports with visa & UK licences. We used our daughters address, but had no proof, as she was with us, she was able to certify to that effect, but could only do it for me! Once my licence was issued I was then able to certify my OHs address, so we got there in the end. I must say that the staff went out of their way to facilitate us when we didn't have any proof of address.

I don't know about other states in Oz, but in Qld they only issue a basic car licence against your UK one, they don't give you any of the other classes like up to 7500kgs, tractors etc that can be on your UK licence, you have to take another test to get them.

I think that you are on a fast learning curve Steve, so keep the reports coming please.

Best of Luck

Matt

fiz Nov 22nd 2010 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Les Avalook (Post 8998625)
Great news Fiz, we saw your post last night and then checked the tracker to find you are 1 month ahead of us. :ohmy:

Guess what, the 4.am wake up started last night. :o

We are having a meal with our son and his partner tonight, the one that is staying in the UK, so we can let him know how close it is getting.

Thanks for everyone's good wishes. Even more good news-they have found my medical and I've got the all clear there too-had an email at 4.30 am from my agent!

regards
fiz

K and M Nov 22nd 2010 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by fiz (Post 8997362)
Heard today that I have a Case Officer!!!!:) For all of you just behind me on the tracker my lodgement date was actually 14th August 2009 and the letter was sent on 20th November 2010 so by my calculations that's 15 months and 6 days.....!

Puzzled that she has asked for me to do my medicals since they were done and sent in September so am trying not to panic about them being lost in some huge building in Sydney...:confused:

Having waited so long, there's a strange mixture of anti climax and panic setting in...

Fiz

Well done Fizz, It is good to see that the CO allocation has started up again!!!:rofl:

It has been quiet for to long!!!

I note that ebbonie who has an ack. date of July 2009 has been skipped, could they have fallen by the wayside?

peewit Nov 22nd 2010 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by sirmatt101 (Post 8998628)
Hi Steve, thats quite a good point. When we got our drivers licences back in Jan/Feb in Qld, we had to have a residential address with some proof of that address, as well as passports with visa & UK licences. We used our daughters address, but had no proof, as she was with us, she was able to certify to that effect, but could only do it for me! Once my licence was issued I was then able to certify my OHs address, so we got there in the end. I must say that the staff went out of their way to facilitate us when we didn't have any proof of address.

I don't know about other states in Oz, but in Qld they only issue a basic car licence against your UK one, they don't give you any of the other classes like up to 7500kgs, tractors etc that can be on your UK licence, you have to take another test to get them.

I think that you are on a fast learning curve Steve, so keep the reports coming please.

Best of Luck

Matt

Hi Matt
My NSW licence says Licence Class C, R
C is Car (Vehicle seating up to 12 adults.to 4.5 tonnes GVM. Tractor, Implement) and R is Rider for a motorcycle. Great for cruising down the Indian Ocean Road to Perry Lakes (just North of Perth) on a Harley when I come to visit WA.
Great news Fiz for reaching the final stages of the visa process.
Regards Peewit

MikenSueNW3 Nov 22nd 2010 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by K and M (Post 8998730)
Well done Fizz, It is good to see that the CO allocation has started up again!!!:rofl:

G'Day

We get vicarious pleasure out of seeing other members' excitement of getting a CO, yet it all seems a bit distant still, as we're still pretty near the bottom of Steve's tracker.

However, it does seem to indicate that we may well be at the same stage in a year's time, more or less.

Good luck to all those on the home run!

Mike

MikenSueNW3 Nov 22nd 2010 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by peewit (Post 8998883)
Hi Matt
My NSW licence says Licence Class C, R
C is Car (Vehicle seating up to 12 adults.to 4.5 tonnes GVM. Tractor, Implement) and R is Rider for a motorcycle.
Regards Peewit

G'Day

I guess that would include a 3.5 tonne motor home?

Mike

DaveandLinda Nov 22nd 2010 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by fiz (Post 8997362)
Heard today that I have a Case Officer!!!!:) For all of you just behind me on the tracker my lodgement date was actually 14th August 2009 and the letter was sent on 20th November 2010 so by my calculations that's 15 months and 6 days.....!

Puzzled that she has asked for me to do my medicals since they were done and sent in September so am trying not to panic about them being lost in some huge building in Sydney...:confused:

Having waited so long, there's a strange mixture of anti climax and panic setting in...

Fiz

Hi Fiz

Congratulations, it's all systems go now. It makes us all feel just a step nearer. With regard to the panic stations, I think I have already reached that stage and we still have abouta year to go before we get a case officer!

DaveandLinda Nov 22nd 2010 11:03 pm

With regard to driving licences, does anyone know the situation if you go over as a visitor to Perth? Presumably you can drive on your UK licence but is there a time limit on it if you are on an extended 12 month tourist visa? Or does anyone know the website address to look this up?

MikenSueNW3 Nov 22nd 2010 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda (Post 8999000)
With regard to driving licences, does anyone know the situation if you go over as a visitor to Perth? Presumably you can drive on your UK licence but is there a time limit on it if you are on an extended 12 month tourist visa? Or does anyone know the website address to look this up?

G'Day

Have a look at http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20393.asp.

It seems that you can drive for as long as you like, until your UK licence expires.

Mike

sandch Nov 23rd 2010 5:03 am

Originally Posted by peewit (Post 8998609)
Hi Sandch
Great that you have made it to Oz. Your appointment for getting a drivers licence is booked, but in Sydney I just looked up on the RTA website what documents were required and where my nearest office was. I took my documents to the office without any appointment. 30 minutes later I walked out with my shiny new NSW photo ID driving licence. My UK driving licence was looked at but given back fully intact.
Regards Peewit

Hi Peewit. Sounds a tad more civilized than over here where you have to make an appointment. But they do promise to give you back your existing license! We have to travel to Werribee as our nearest centre has no appointments until 2 Dec. However it's a minor inconvenience in the scheme of things.

sandch Nov 23rd 2010 5:05 am

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda (Post 8999000)

Same here in Victoria - no limit unless you come in on a permanent visa, then you have to do something about changing over.

sandch Nov 23rd 2010 5:06 am

Originally Posted by miscellaneous (Post 8999111)
Steve

Please note on the tracker, yesterday 22/11/10 I drew the BIG bank cheque,:blink: and sent it by Registered post to my Case Officer, I now await my pre-grant letter, before arranging flights to NZ in Jan 2011.

When I return to Oz to validate it, this will be just in the nick of time, as my years visitors visa expires on the 29th Jan.

Although I now feel stony broke, at least I will be legitimate.:ohmy::thumbup:

Best regards
Elaine

Aaargh. Ah well Elaine, you'll feel like you "belong".:)

jtct Nov 23rd 2010 6:34 am

1 Attachment(s)
In case you are interested "Last week, a group of thieves broke into a warehouse in West Yorkshire and heisted a truck load of Marmite Christmas products worth over £60,000, including 15,000 bars of the newly launched Peculiar Milk Chocolate Marmite Bar and over 2,000 products in the Marmite Christmas Gifting range! We need your help to find the thieves, so if anyone has information they can share, contact the West Yorkshire Police on 0845 60 60 606 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Don’t fret Marmite lovers, extra workers have been drafted in to run shifts to keep up with demand and security has also been beefed up with 24 hour surveillance to guard the remaining Marmite stock".

sirmatt101 Nov 23rd 2010 7:16 am

Originally Posted by jtct (Post 8999733)
In case you are interested "Last week, a group of thieves broke into a warehouse in West Yorkshire and heisted a truck load of Marmite Christmas products worth over £60,000, including 15,000 bars of the newly launched Peculiar Milk Chocolate Marmite Bar and over 2,000 products in the Marmite Christmas Gifting range! We need your help to find the thieves, so if anyone has information they can share, contact the West Yorkshire Police on 0845 60 60 606 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Don’t fret Marmite lovers, extra workers have been drafted in to run shifts to keep up with demand and security has also been beefed up with 24 hour surveillance to guard the remaining Marmite stock".

Ok, its got to be a bunch of CPVers "Wot did it" :rofl:

Cheers

Matt