Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

pemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
with all due respect thats a load of rubbish mate. We brought all our stuff from UK and used it for years until it conked out as did all my family who are here. If you have stuff worth bringing i'd bring it and save yourself as much money as poss as it's not cheap to live here especially since the GFC. It doesn't help that UK pensions get frozen from the day you leave, so every penny counts.
Hi
would suggest you read later comments and i did not say "would not work", said may be more expensive on electric due to less insulation. Plus of course shipping cost!!! do you have shares in a shipping company?
reagrds
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Julian927 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
It is not so much the width as the length is different which can be a problem in some bed frame styles.

http://www.the-pillow.com.au/resources/bed_sizes.php

Ikea beds are a completely different problem as they use continental sizes in the UK but use Oz sizes in Oz. We have the 160cm type mattress from the UK so no match in Oz as we have a bed frame style bed.

Would need a London Underground annoucement 'Mind the Gap' if we dropped an Oz mattress in the frame.
I have been watching the comments about bed sizes (and fridges) with interest. We have just bought a King Size bed over here and the "Manchester" (Australian term for bed linen) Even though we got the Manchester in the sale at 40-50% off it was still more expensive than in England. So if you are bringing your bed, make sure you bring the fitted sheets etc. as folk say, it is the length of the bed which is different....plus the naming of sizes, the latter can be overcome though.
Before shipping our fridge my husband checked on a website to make sure our fridge was compliant with the regs over here. It was, so we shipped it. White goods are more expensive. To provide an example Miele washing machines range from $1799 - $2200 although currently they are offering $200 off that.
Julie
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:52 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pemajoka
Hi
would suggest you read later comments and i did not say "would not work", said may be more expensive on electric due to less insulation. Plus of course shipping cost!!! do you have shares in a shipping company?
reagrds
I suggest you get over yourself mate and stop talking rubbish. Shipping costs are a given and people can make their own minds up as to whether they bring their stuff here or not. Higher costs regarding running items with UK insulation is a load of crap. I brought over brand new white goods and they cost the same to run as the stuff I have purchased over here since. I have relatives who have also done the same. Why make a mountain out of a molehill and scare people with old wives tales

My advice is for people on contributory pensions to save as much money as possible as it has already cost them an arm and a leg to get here. Give people the information and let them make an educated decision. People can either take stuff or leave it depending on the age of the items and the shipping costs but don't leave something like a fridge or freezer [expensive items] thinking it won't work, because it will. Whether someone brings it or not is up to them but the bottom line is it will work out here and it won't cost an arm and a leg to run "due to less insulation"
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:00 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julian927
I have been watching the comments about bed sizes (and fridges) with interest. We have just bought a King Size bed over here and the "Manchester" (Australian term for bed linen) Even though we got the Manchester in the sale at 40-50% off it was still more expensive than in England. So if you are bringing your bed, make sure you bring the fitted sheets etc. as folk say, it is the length of the bed which is different....plus the naming of sizes, the latter can be overcome though.
Before shipping our fridge my husband checked on a website to make sure our fridge was compliant with the regs over here. It was, so we shipped it. White goods are more expensive. To provide an example Miele washing machines range from $1799 - $2200 although currently they are offering $200 off that.
Julie
Spot on
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Julian927 is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest you get over yourself mate and stop talking rubbish. Shipping costs are a given and people can make their own minds up as to whether they bring their stuff here or not. Higher costs regarding running items with UK insulation is a load of crap.
I was shocked to read this comment written by a "Moderator". Although the facts in your message re: shipping costs etc. are all true they way in which you expressed yourself is out of order considering your position is to moderate the conference.
This type of posting will not encourage others to post on this forum if this is the type of reply that they receive. Is there a "Super Moderator" out there who can sort this out?
Julie
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:06 pm

I was shocked to read this comment written by a "Moderator". Although the facts in your message re: shipping costs etc. are all true they way in which you expressed yourself is out of order considering your position is to moderate the conference.
This type of posting will not encourage others to post on this forum if this is the type of reply that they receive. Is there a "Super Moderator" out there who can sort this out?
Julie
Even as moderators we are entitled to our opinions as much as you are. In Australia we express ourselves far more openly than in UK. I think some of you will get a shock when you get to Aus but good luck anyways

Advice re complaint: If you are unhappy that I have said something you don't like you can complain to Admin. If you read the site rules it's all there. Moderators do not get paid and freedom of speech is available to all of us.

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Jan 10th 2011 at 7:12 pm. Reason: advice re complaint
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

pemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the rough

Even as moderators we are entitled to our opinions as much as you are. In Australia we express ourselves far more openly than in UK. I think some of you will get a shock when you get to Aus but good luck anyways

Advice re complaint: If you are unhappy that I have said something you don't like you can complain to Admin. If you read the site rules it's all there. Moderators do not get paid and freedom of speech is available to all of us.
thanks Julian927 for the comment. as with many of the posters to the old thread I will now keep my opinions to myself and allow "the experts" to pass comments and give advice
sianara
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:03 pm

thanks Julian927 for the comment. as with many of the posters to the old thread I will now keep my opinions to myself and allow "the experts" to pass comments and give advice
sianara
Not sure what you mean by "the experts"? Do you mean people like me who already live in Aus, who have been through the visa process and have lived successfuly in Aus for some time? Or do you mean Moderators who come on here to try and help and therefore give their opinion and accept their opinion is as valid as yours?

I personally gave information that I thought would be useful as I know how hard it is at the moment for those on the contributory parent visa as the exchange rate is lousy. Added to this the pension freeze and the increased cost of living, I understand fully that every penny counts therefore to salvage anything and bring it over and save money is important, hence my comments re bringing anything you can from UK, within sensible reason.

Your comments are valid as are mine and people can make their own minds up as to what they want to do, however a balanced viewpoint is what is required. If by this you choose to take your bat and ball home and not comment, that is your choice. However your points are equally as valid and appreciated whether I agree with them or not.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

sianara
Unfortunately, what was once a full and active parent visa thread has had the life kicked out of it. It is noticeable that many previously active participants just don't respond now.

A real pity that "moderators" had to interfere.

Charlie
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by charlie5
Unfortunately, what was once a full and active parent visa thread has had the life kicked out of it. It is noticeable that many previously active participants just don't respond now.

Charlie
This is a public forum. Forums are for everyone to contribute, not just for the clique of people on here. It is incredulous that anyone should think otherwise
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie5

Charlie
Charlie,

I saw that you've contributed to the old forum since the split, and as one still pursuing my visa I thank you for that. But please accept that for us still going throught the process, the split is so much better. We can concentrate on the information we need and the people who want to make jokes about vegemite can do so without cluttering up the visa forum. Let's just move on.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Julie

Moderators are entitled to opinions and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the context or tone of 'sonlywalter's response.

If she appeared indignant it was because someone posted a load of crap that was false and misleading.

The response post stands.

Rete
Supermoderator
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

MikenSueNW3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Moderators are entitled to opinions and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the context or tone of 'sonlywalter's response.

If she appeared indignant it was because someone posted a load of crap that was false and misleading.

Rete
Supermoderator
I disagree strongly – opinions are OK, but there is a right and wrong way of expressing them in this context.

I'm off elsewhere. Byee

Mike

Last edited by MikenSueNW3; Jan 11th 2011 at 12:39 am.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MikenSueNW3
I disagree strongly – opinions are OK, but there is a right and wrong way of expressing them in this context.

I'm off elsewhere. Byee

Mike
I agree. To quote from a favourite book of mine - "thanks for the fish".

Charlie
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

audie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete

Rete
Supermoderator

I would quote MikenSue as well. It seems that all the moderators have changed and NOT for the better.

To have one of our moderators saying that someone posted a load of crap is less than acceptable.

The comments people make are indeed their own opionions and very often they are qualified with the statement - I am not an expert so do check with an agent, lawyer etc etc.

This forum has descended into rude and crass name calling - not the place for me.

Actually while we are on this topic - is there a rule where we cannot be on more than one forum - to be unable to MENTION some useful info from another site? - I may have read rules in the begining saying that it is not permitted to mention another forum but that doesn't make sense . We are permitted to watch several stations on tv and comment. We are able to read many newspapers from the UK, Canada and AUstralia and agree or disagree with whatever is our feeling. Is this site above this?

At the moment my situation is very stressful - I have received helpful information from people on two forums. I don't take as gospel everything tht is sent to me - I read it though and then decide myself whether it is relevant to me. What is important is that there are people out there who both need and want help or just someone to talk to.

Our friends and family (especially those who are really not keen on us leaving them) do not want to hear about our visas woes, so we need this forum to be upbeat sometimes, to be sympathetic and definitely not to be told that their posts are CRAP.

I would have thought that rudeness should not be tolerated - especially by the moderators. Actually I did not even realise that we had moderators before all this vegemite stuff. I am happy to say that I can still talk with our vegemite friend and many of the others on PIO and if this means that I will be expelled fromm BE - so be it! I actually think the whole thing is ridiculous. I just popped in today as I have ill all week and that has woken me up, so for that I thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
audie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.