Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Old Dec 4th 2010, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Katie1955 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - now sparkling in Australia!!

Originally Posted by Barbaran
Hi Guys,
Where am I ? Lifestyle or Information? Where are all my friends?
We're all here I think, just waiting for the dust to settle a little

Katie
Old Dec 4th 2010, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

poshslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to all
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Originally Posted by Julian927
Just prior to leaving England in October, we noticed the post mentioned above where Phil Spencer from Phil Down Under was looking for likely candidates to take part in the next series. We applied and the following day were telephoned. The next day the film crew arrived at our rented accommodation to film us for 5 hours, including at they gym!
They then arranged to film us on arrival at Sydney airport and again the following day when we met up with our two grandchildren.
Last Monday filming started on the house search. Prior to this their researchers had checked out the details of over 100 houses, and narrowed it down to 30 which they physically visited. Finally coming up with a shortlist of 4 which we visited in person. To begin with we were very nervous but as time passed with the crew we became more relaxed. I have to say that Phil Spencer is as charming off screen as on screen. There was no pressure to buy at the end of the show.....but WE DID. We exchanged contracts on Thursday, 4 days after the search began. We are delighted with the house. The show goes out in England in January on Channel 4. Our show is based in NSW, the others are Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth, Canberra, central Sydney and one on the Gold Coast. We think ours was the only one for elderly folk joining their families, the others were youngsters leaving parents at home in England. The show will also go out in Australia in April - we think.
Julie and Ian
Congratulations on your new house!
Really looking forward to seeing 'your' program, as everything normally is slanted towards 'the youngsters'.
Our daughter is in Russell Lea which is great for them, but far too expensive for us, so hope they choose to move further up the coast before we get to move to be near them.
Good luck with your new life.................
Pam
Old Dec 4th 2010, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Julian927 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Originally Posted by fiz
Congratulations! It must feel great to have bought. it is interesting to hear about behind the scenes stuff from the programme as well.
If it isn't giving too much away, whereabouts in NSW were you looking to buy and how are the house prices at the moment? I hope to be doing the same in 12 months time, fingers crossed.....
regards
Fiz
We were looking anywhere between Gosford and about 45-50 minutes further north......because of prices. If we had moved our money 18 months ago we could have afforded to live closer to our children, one of whom lives in Gladesville and the other in Berowra Heights....but prices in Gladesville are about 500,000 for a 2 bedroom apartment.....and small houses, with no garage start at about 600,000 in Berowra as it is commuter distance. Hence the reason for looking around Gosford, Terrigal, North Avoca, Woongarrah, Wadalba, Berkely Vale etc. 4 bedroom estate houses can be found from around 420,000. Terrigal and North Avoca are very nice areas and the prices are more expensive for smaller properties.
Hope this helps.
Julie
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

miscellaneous is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue
You must be so excited. When are you off?
Thank you Sue, Hope to go to NZ and back into Aus somewhere in mid Jan2011. at least then I will 100% legitimate. Another 2 years down the line and I can then become an Australian Citizen, so the circle will be complete.

Best Wishes
Elaine.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Lovely story. Welcome to NSW.

Charlie
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by miscellaneous
Thank you Sue, Hope to go to NZ and back into Aus somewhere in mid Jan2011. at least then I will 100% legitimate. Another 2 years down the line and I can then become an Australian Citizen, so the circle will be complete.

Best Wishes
Elaine.
Then you can change your location?

Don't you have to wait 4 years now?
Old Dec 5th 2010, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

coloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nice

Originally Posted by DavidandGill
On a completely different subject -

We heard a couple of weeks ago that our Granddaughter, Scarlett, had been asked to be "the face of the Royal Children's Hospital Good Friday Appeal 2011". She had a heart transplant in 2009 and is treated at the RCH, and its her 2nd birthday tomorrow. The Director of the Appeal, and photographer from the HS (popular daily newspaper, think "Hark the **** angels + big yellow globe in the sky!) came to their home today to take photos to be used for the Appeal and because its her birthday tomorrow, they decided to write an article for publication in tomorrow's paper. She will feature in a few articles over the next few months in the paper, and will be making public appearances at various Good Friday Appeal events as well as appearing on TV and in billboard advertising.

Fame, not as we would have chosen it, but for a great cause. Once again we can only express deep sympathy and thanks to all donor families and thanks to all the wonderful medical and support staff at the RCH and all other hospitals that treat children with life threatening illness.

Gill
(Very proud Nanny!!)
How wonderfull, you must be so proud and justifiably so. Maddy is becoming a little bit more sociable with me but I guess it will take time and that's something we're not short of now.

More info for anyone interested: we bought a car yesterday and thanks to our Australian son-in-law's amazing bargaining powers got $2K knocked off the asking price. Insurance through Coles has cost $405, we did this on line and didn't have any proof of no claims bonus but did have some boxes to tick about past claims (we've not had any claims in the last 4 years). I've also been trawling through looking for private health insurance. It's recommended that we do this and new migrants have 1 year from registering with Medicare to find insurance and qualify for the government rebate. We registered with Medicare when we came over to validate in April which in hindsight was a mistake but we still have until April to sort it out. The cheapest we have found so far is $160 per month for both of us, this includes 35% rebate as Tony is 69. That is for a very basic policy but I'm guessing that if we wanted to upgrade we could do so quite easily. We will certainly have to do some belt tightening, the cost of most things seems to have shot up. House price rises in Perth seem to have eased a little but they are still very expensive and I'm not quite sure what we will do. Atleast we seem to have finally conquered the dreaded jet lag and are feeling more 'normal'.

Cath & Tony
Old Dec 5th 2010, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by coloneldube
How wonderfull, you must be so proud and justifiably so. Maddy is becoming a little bit more sociable with me but I guess it will take time and that's something we're not short of now.

More info for anyone interested: we bought a car yesterday and thanks to our Australian son-in-law's amazing bargaining powers got $2K knocked off the asking price. Insurance through Coles has cost $405, we did this on line and didn't have any proof of no claims bonus but did have some boxes to tick about past claims (we've not had any claims in the last 4 years). I've also been trawling through looking for private health insurance. It's recommended that we do this and new migrants have 1 year from registering with Medicare to find insurance and qualify for the government rebate. We registered with Medicare when we came over to validate in April which in hindsight was a mistake but we still have until April to sort it out. The cheapest we have found so far is $160 per month for both of us, this includes 35% rebate as Tony is 69. That is for a very basic policy but I'm guessing that if we wanted to upgrade we could do so quite easily. We will certainly have to do some belt tightening, the cost of most things seems to have shot up. House price rises in Perth seem to have eased a little but they are still very expensive and I'm not quite sure what we will do. Atleast we seem to have finally conquered the dreaded jet lag and are feeling more 'normal'.

Cath & Tony
Hi Cath and Tony

That's interesting. So, are you saying that if you register with Medicare when you come over to validate then the 1 year countdown starts then? I assume that if you come over on visitor's visa and register with them then this doesn't affect anything?
Old Dec 5th 2010, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Hi Cath and Tony

I assume that if you come over on visitor's visa and register with them then this doesn't affect anything?
Yes. I had to register on a visiting visa because of an accident. However, when time came to register as a resident, the "system" found my previous registration.

Charlie
Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
Then you can change your location?

Don't you have to wait 4 years now?
Spot on, Thanks for the prompt, clearly I am still in the past, from when my daughter arrived here, upon checking this, they changed it in 2007, so yet another long wait.

Location wise , I am very happy and settled here in Hastings, no regrets in the slightest. Will only move when destiny beckons.

Kind regards
Elaine
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

coloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nice

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Hi Cath and Tony

That's interesting. So, are you saying that if you register with Medicare when you come over to validate then the 1 year countdown starts then? I assume that if you come over on visitor's visa and register with them then this doesn't affect anything?
Yes, that's right so we have until next April. We got a letter in the post with some literature about the rebate and the count down. We had never registered for visiting Medicare in the past so we weren't on the system previously. We used a search facility to find an insurer and they've not wasted any time, the phone rang at just after 9 with a saleswoman wanting to sign us up then and there. We will probably sort it out after Christmas. Now off to a swimming lesson with Maddy.
Cath & Tony
Old Dec 6th 2010, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by miscellaneous
Spot on, Thanks for the prompt, clearly I am still in the past, from when my daughter arrived here, upon checking this, they changed it in 2007, so yet another long wait.

Location wise , I am very happy and settled here in Hastings, no regrets in the slightest. Will only move when destiny beckons.

Kind regards
Elaine
Hi Elaine, the location I refered to is on your avatar , you maybe need to move from Northampton to Hastings.

Go to the top of the page and click on the My Profile box.

When that opens you will see a list on the left, look down that and you will a group headed Settings & Options .

Clip on Edit Profile .

Scroll down the page and under Additional Information you will find a box with Location - where you live.

Ages ago you put in Northampton so you could change (or add) that to Hastings Victoria.

Can you tell I'm bored?
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
Hi Elaine, the location I refered to is on your avatar , you maybe need to move from Northampton to Hastings.

Go to the top of the page and click on the My Profile box.

When that opens you will see a list on the left, look down that and you will a group headed Settings & Options .

Clip on Edit Profile .

Scroll down the page and under Additional Information you will find a box with Location - where you live.

Ages ago you put in Northampton so you could change (or add) that to Hastings Victoria.

Can you tell I'm bored?
Wonderful Les, I do feel clever, all done and dusted, so thanks for this info: I feel really with it now
As my daughter signed me up into the Expats thread. I have not given it a thought since. so well spotted.

Best wishes
Elaine
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:57 pm
We're on our way!!

SueAshforth has a brilliant futureSueAshforth has a brilliant futureSueAshforth has a brilliant futureSueAshforth has a brilliant futureSueAshforth has a brilliant futureSueAshforth has a brilliant future

Help!! Where's the CPV thread gone? I know they were splitting it up but I can't find the other half.....
Old Dec 6th 2010, 2:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueAshforth
Help!! Where's the CPV thread gone? I know they were splitting it up but I can't find the other half.....
Do you mean the visa bit? Its HERE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.