Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
I think you are really taking the P now.

Some of your customers have been posting for more than 2 years and know what parts of the site is called, just because we are old we are not stupid.

We have only asked for the 'old thread' to be kept together, not how we should use the site.

Maybe if you took a less patronizing style you may just get back the long term posters you seem to have lost and keep the ones you have got.

Bear in mind we are all paying about £40,000 to come out to Oz and we will be users of many of the services your advertisers provide.
On the contrary, a lot of people are talking about us breaking up the " site" and ruining the "forum", making people log in to different "sites" when they mean threads. Its been pointed out that many people are not familiar with the idea of a forum this large, or with the terms that go with it - a very common problem when people are new to the internet, regardless of which forum they are posting in. I'm being honest when I say I was baffled by the whole thing when i first found the site.

As with all my posts in the CPV threads, its meant to be helpful, I'm sorry you don't see it that way. If you mixed with most of the posters in the Barbie you'd find they share your opinion that I'm an interfering old busybody and should take a long walk off a short pier, but really I'm just doing my job

As an aside, I should add that it really makes no difference to me how much money you spend on someone who advertisers on the site. Being a premium member I don't see the ads anyway, and I certainly don't get any revenue from them!!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

miscellaneous is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Originally Posted by framboy
Including us, just got CO and not had the usual congrats, think the Mods have messed up a good site
CONGRATULATIONS, it will all go with a swing now, as I got my CO 6/10/10 and have now had my permit confirmed on the 2/12/10 the, next and last step is to make my travel arrangements to get validation. so hold on tight and go forth.

Best Wishes
Elaine
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:20 pm

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
On the contrary, a lot of people are talking about us breaking up the " site" and ruining the "forum", making people log in to different "sites" when they mean threads. Its been pointed out that many people are not familiar with the idea of a forum this large, or with the terms that go with it - a very common problem when people are new to the internet, regardless of which forum they are posting in. I'm being honest when I say I was baffled by the whole thing when i first found the site.

As with all my posts in the CPV threads, its meant to be helpful, I'm sorry you don't see it that way. If you mixed with most of the posters in the Barbie you'd find they share your opinion that I'm an interfering old busybody and should take a long walk off a short pier, but really I'm just doing my job

As an aside, I should add that it really makes no difference to me how much money you spend on someone who advertisers on the site. Being a premium member I don't see the ads anyway, and I certainly don't get any revenue from them!!
Just because people don't use the "correct" terminology it doesn't make them new to the internet!

With approx 32,275 threads in the Barbie there could possibly be some truth in the opinion!

Incidentally there are approx 68,000 threads in the Immigration, Visas & Citizenship Forum for Oz to trawl through!

I said I wouldn't post again, but having read so many narrow minded replies from the moderators, especially one who obviously thinks we are all on crutches, have no idea how to operate a computer, let alone find our way around the BE site, I am surprised that any of us have managed to get visas!

Matt
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you mixed with most of the posters in the Barbie you'd find they share your opinion that I'm an interfering old busybody and should take a long walk off a short pier, but really I'm just doing my job
How on earth can you be doing your job if you are upsetting CUSTOMERS by not giving them what they want? I really seem to be living in a different world to you.

Charlie
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:49 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie5
How on earth can you be doing your job if you are upsetting CUSTOMERS by not giving them what they want? I really seem to be living in a different world to you.
What about those people who need information on CPVs and have to trawl through hundreds of banter or lifestyle posts to actually find information they need ? Or legitimate questions frustrated by being overwritten by chat by the vocal few and regular contributors.

As a person who had to sponsor my own mother in law through hers, I found this site invaluable in completing her application and no doubt others will. I've never contributed to the CPV threads in the past, simply put because I have no desire to read hundreds of posts of chat.

Is it really so painful to have immigration matters in its proper place and "lifestyle"/chat in another for the benefit of all ?

I would suggest that the majority of the readership on this forum are lurkers who rarely, if ever, post and use this as a source of information. Is it reasonable to have huge unwieldy threads masking the real pearls of wisdom we all have to share ?
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 10:40 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Charlie
No members of BE are "customers" because we aren't "selling" anything.

Moderators are volunteers, it's not their job. They are just regular members like yourself. They just want to "give back" to the community and help people out. So I would really appreciate it if you could all bear that in mind.

All we've done is spilt ONE thread into TWO ... nothing more. Your support network is still here, just now in TWO threads .. instead of ONE. There is no need to turn it into a big issue, in the grand scheme of things it's rather a small thing really.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 10:45 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miscellaneous
CONGRATULATIONS, it will all go with a swing now, as I got my CO 6/10/10 and have now had my permit confirmed on the 2/12/10 the, next and last step is to make my travel arrangements to get validation. so hold on tight and go forth.

Best Wishes
Elaine
You must be so excited. When are you off?
Old Dec 4th 2010, 4:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Charlie
If I were you, I'd be grateful for that, my world is pretty lousy most of the time, wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Originally Posted by sirmatt101
Just because people don't use the "correct" terminology it doesn't make them new to the internet!

With approx 32,275 threads in the Barbie there could possibly be some truth in the opinion!

Incidentally there are approx 68,000 threads in the Immigration, Visas & Citizenship Forum for Oz to trawl through!

I said I wouldn't post again, but having read so many narrow minded replies from the moderators, especially one who obviously thinks we are all on crutches, have no idea how to operate a computer, let alone find our way around the BE site, I am surprised that any of us have managed to get visas!

Matt
I have a niece who is on crutches, she's 15, I don't really see what that has to do with the price of eggs! And I'll be honest, I have absolutely no idea how old any of you are and it really doesn't matter to me. I suspect some of the CPV posters are younger than me. The info I posted is info I have used several time over the years for people who are confused when they start using forums - whether they ar 9 or 99, in the UK, India, Australia, Sweden, going for a CPV, PMV, ENS or whatever, its irrelevant. Getting one's head round terms like threads and forums is something everyone new to forums has to do, and while some of you are clearly familiar with forums, others just as clearly aren't, so by helping people to understand what we say when we tell someone "your thread is now in the Meet-ups forum" is just part of my voluntary job trying to help users (not customers).

I'm sorry that you seem to have joined the anti-Pollyana faction, a I said if you read some of the threads in the barbie you will see its quite a large club, as moderating is a thankless task. However, if you have any further issues with my mod-ding, I suggest you contact Sue (site Admin) off the forum so that the thread can get back to the discussion of the merits of vegemite......
I like the new cheesy version myself
Old Dec 4th 2010, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Centurion
Is it reasonable to have huge unwieldy threads masking the real pearls of wisdom we all have to share ?

Change bad. Big dragon come down from mountain and burn village. All gone.

Old Dec 4th 2010, 5:26 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Les Avalook

Change bad. Big dragon come down from mountain and burn village. All gone.

Yes. Like that. Although I have probably made countless better examples of absurdity in the thousands of posts I've made. Most of them I suspect

Last edited by Centurion; Dec 4th 2010 at 5:29 am.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

How about we all just call a truce now.

We all, one way or another, have found our way back to this thread and maybe we can just nudge back to here any lost souls.

If we keep replying to the mods comments (and I know I am very guilty, but they started it ) they will never go back to lurking and our posts will just get lost in what looks like the mods and admin thread.

Hopefully in a day or so, like the snow, it will all just disappear.

As Ringo would say Peace and Love Peace and Love Peace and Love
(Gosh,I showing my age)
Old Dec 4th 2010, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Yes, let us just get on with it and hope the moderators disappear again into their own world.

Charlie
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Julian927 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue
Post it in here, this is for Australia Lifestyle chat after all

The production company for Phil Down Under posted a few threads in our Media Requests forum looking for participants. It would interesting to know if anyone from BE will be in the new series.
Just prior to leaving England in October, we noticed the post mentioned above where Phil Spencer from Phil Down Under was looking for likely candidates to take part in the next series. We applied and the following day were telephoned. The next day the film crew arrived at our rented accommodation to film us for 5 hours, including at they gym!
They then arranged to film us on arrival at Sydney airport and again the following day when we met up with our two grandchildren.
Last Monday filming started on the house search. Prior to this their researchers had checked out the details of over 100 houses, and narrowed it down to 30 which they physically visited. Finally coming up with a shortlist of 4 which we visited in person. To begin with we were very nervous but as time passed with the crew we became more relaxed. I have to say that Phil Spencer is as charming off screen as on screen. There was no pressure to buy at the end of the show.....but WE DID. We exchanged contracts on Thursday, 4 days after the search began. We are delighted with the house. The show goes out in England in January on Channel 4. Our show is based in NSW, the others are Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth, Canberra, central Sydney and one on the Gold Coast. We think ours was the only one for elderly folk joining their families, the others were youngsters leaving parents at home in England. The show will also go out in Australia in April - we think.
Julie and Ian
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:35 am
fiz
Forum Regular

fiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Julian927
Just prior to leaving England in October, we noticed the post mentioned above where Phil Spencer from Phil Down Under was looking for likely candidates to take part in the next series. We applied and the following day were telephoned. The next day the film crew arrived at our rented accommodation to film us for 5 hours, including at they gym!
They then arranged to film us on arrival at Sydney airport and again the following day when we met up with our two grandchildren.
Last Monday filming started on the house search. Prior to this their researchers had checked out the details of over 100 houses, and narrowed it down to 30 which they physically visited. Finally coming up with a shortlist of 4 which we visited in person. To begin with we were very nervous but as time passed with the crew we became more relaxed. I have to say that Phil Spencer is as charming off screen as on screen. There was no pressure to buy at the end of the show.....but WE DID. We exchanged contracts on Thursday, 4 days after the search began. We are delighted with the house. The show goes out in England in January on Channel 4. Our show is based in NSW, the others are Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth, Canberra, central Sydney and one on the Gold Coast. We think ours was the only one for elderly folk joining their families, the others were youngsters leaving parents at home in England. The show will also go out in Australia in April - we think.
Julie and Ian
Congratulations! It must feel great to have bought. it is interesting to hear about behind the scenes stuff from the programme as well.
If it isn't giving too much away, whereabouts in NSW were you looking to buy and how are the house prices at the moment? I hope to be doing the same in 12 months time, fingers crossed.....
regards
Fiz
Old Dec 4th 2010, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Katie1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Julian927
Julie and Ian
Hi both,

Will look forward to watching the next series, especially NSW. Pleased to hear that you have purchased your new ozzie home & I hope that you both settle quickly & easily

Katie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.