British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   COVID-19 / Coronavirus - Aus Govt Tracing App (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/covid-19-coronavirus-aus-govt-tracing-app-932233/)

Beoz Apr 26th 2020 11:42 am

Re: COVID-19 / Coronavirus - Aus Govt Tracing App

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12844414)
Don't be a lemming. It'll be a hard sell, I expect anyway. The Lib's certainly cannot be trusted . I have given an example previously. If you feel it is in your interest to get the app, by all means do so. Those of us that won't be getting it have ample concerns outlined already around the matter.

Yep. Let's trust Aderns method of seeking a non existent zero over a Morrison way of flattening the curve which as a by product has done better than Adern, with still a bit of an economy left. Yep ...... the left wingers fooled again.

Amazulu Apr 26th 2020 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12844412)
Usually of governments with fascist tendencies.

:rofl:

moneypenny20 Apr 26th 2020 1:06 pm

Can we keep not resort yet again to personal insults and political nonsense? Discuss the app rationally and politely. Let's see if you can manage that.

abner May 4th 2020 2:00 pm

The real problem with the app is that its contact-tracing use case is basically trivial until mass-transit utilisation gets back above the 10 - 15% of normal patronage that it currently sits at now, or dining and entertainment venues are allowed to become crowded again. Neither of those things is going to happen soon.

That leaves plenty of time to see the promised source-code release, the promised privacy legislation, and solutions to the usability bugs the app presents, before any thinking person needs to consider adopting it.

Beoz May 5th 2020 1:44 am

Originally Posted by abner (Post 12848137)
The real problem with the app is that its contact-tracing use case is basically trivial until mass-transit utilisation gets back above the 10 - 15% of normal patronage that it currently sits at now, or dining and entertainment venues are allowed to become crowded again. Neither of those things is going to happen soon.

That leaves plenty of time to see the promised source-code release, the promised privacy legislation, and solutions to the usability bugs the app presents, before any thinking person needs to consider adopting it.

Chicken and egg situation. The app needs adoption before mass-transit, dining or entertainment venues are allowed to be back in business.

the troubadour May 6th 2020 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12848457)
Chicken and egg situation. The app needs adoption before mass-transit, dining or entertainment venues are allowed to be back in business.

No it doesn't. Already places around the world are 'opening up' sans app. No where has achieved the numbers required to my knowledge to even begin to make this work. With such safe guards unlikely anywhere will either. What is needed is a clear indication that the virus is in decline as appears the case in certain Australian states and a managed return to some degree of normalcy over time.

the troubadour May 6th 2020 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12844419)
Yep. Let's trust Aderns method of seeking a non existent zero over a Morrison way of flattening the curve which as a by product has done better than Adern, with still a bit of an economy left. Yep ...... the left wingers fooled again.

Best leave out the political ideology. If you prefer the right's take that has cost countless lives in UK, USA , Brazil to name a few then your choice. NZ done, as I explained exceptionally well. Nobody knew just how bad this virus would be in the early stages, and many unknowns are still out there. Adern done the right thing.
Not sure how politics can be divorced from matters around virus. It is as witnessed around the world an extremely political matter just as scietific.

Beoz May 8th 2020 2:44 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12848973)
Best leave out the political ideology. If you prefer the right's take that has cost countless lives in UK, USA , Brazil to name a few then your choice. NZ done, as I explained exceptionally well. Nobody knew just how bad this virus would be in the early stages, and many unknowns are still out there. Adern done the right thing.
Not sure how politics can be divorced from matters around virus. It is as witnessed around the world an extremely political matter just as scietific.

There's very few things the UK, USA, and Brazil have in common with New Zealand and the way to play virus control. Land size, Population, Density of living, Methods of movement, all those things which can make a viral epidemic better or worse have no relevance between New Zealand and the countries you mention. You would be better off doing your research around places like Iceland and Taiwan. As for how they knew how bad it would be in the early stages, true to a degree, but a lot of countries had to the head start, Ardern could have looked at Iceland and Taiwan. See was probably looking at Italy and thinking, "how can I grab a few headlines in amongst this". That's the way she rolls.

paulry May 8th 2020 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12849926)
There's very few things the UK, USA, and Brazil have in common with New Zealand and the way to play virus control. Land size, Population, Density of living, Methods of movement, all those things which can make a viral epidemic better or worse have no relevance between New Zealand and the countries you mention. You would be better off doing your research around places like Iceland and Taiwan. As for how they knew how bad it would be in the early stages, true to a degree, but a lot of countries had to the head start, Ardern could have looked at Iceland and Taiwan. See was probably looking at Italy and thinking, "how can I grab a few headlines in amongst this". That's the way she rolls.

:goodpost:

spouse of scouse May 19th 2020 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12848457)

Well that's what the Federal government told us. But they lied.

The federal government sold the app to the public as the key to easing restrictions across the country, however last week when the Senate debated the legislation for the app, foreign minister Marise Payne admitted the number of downloads of the app was not a consideration for national cabinet in the easing of restrictions.

“The approach to easing of restrictions, as you will have seen through the national cabinet process, is based on the health advice that’s received through the [Australian Health Protection Principal Committee], where it’s possible for Australia and Australians to do.

“And the states and territories are using that as the premise, not based on the number of people who have downloaded the app.”
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ontact-tracing

Beoz May 20th 2020 1:10 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12855361)
Well that's what the Federal government told us. But they lied.

The federal government sold the app to the public as the key to easing restrictions across the country, however last week when the Senate debated the legislation for the app, foreign minister Marise Payne admitted the number of downloads of the app was not a consideration for national cabinet in the easing of restrictions.

“The approach to easing of restrictions, as you will have seen through the national cabinet process, is based on the health advice that’s received through the [Australian Health Protection Principal Committee], where it’s possible for Australia and Australians to do.

“And the states and territories are using that as the premise, not based on the number of people who have downloaded the app.”
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ontact-tracing

Why bother fighting it? If it helps in anyway shape or form to speed up the contact tracing abilities just install it. This morning the NSW CMO said their analysis of the data shows excellent results on Android and poorer results on Apple but they are tweaking the app to perform better on Apple. Like all software the first release is never the final. Just install it and stop being a hindrance.

moneypenny20 May 20th 2020 8:16 am

Woman at work asked me how the app was supposed to work because it just kept closing on her. I asked if she had an iPhone and she does. Told her to leave the app open when she locked the phone. She looked later and found her battery nearly dead. Not an Apple user so don't look at me for help!

Beoz May 20th 2020 8:35 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12855559)
Woman at work asked me how the app was supposed to work because it just kept closing on her. I asked if she had an iPhone and she does. Told her to leave the app open when she locked the phone. She looked later and found her battery nearly dead. Not an Apple user so don't look at me for help!

Another fine advertisment for Apple.

Pollyana May 20th 2020 11:40 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12855559)

It wlll kill the battery.
She needs to keep the app open, phone unlocked bluetooth running .... as you said. But she will also need to keep the phone on charge or running off portable power packs. Just insane. Why design an app of such potential importance that drains phone batteries?

Beoz May 20th 2020 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12855620)
It wlll kill the battery.
She needs to keep the app open, phone unlocked bluetooth running .... as you said. But she will also need to keep the phone on charge or running off portable power packs. Just insane. Why design an app of such potential importance that drains phone batteries?

Ha ha. Why design an app that uses Bluetooth? Ha ha. I think you meant to day "Why design a phone that drains your battery using Bluetooth".

It's a bit like saying my web browser is so slow because I refuse to upgrade from a dial up modem.

Oh Apple. Thankfully the iPhone is nearly dead and buried.

PS (I suspect and hope the later models are not such a drain on battery when using Bluetooth.)