Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 / Coronavirus - Aus Govt Tracing App

COVID-19 / Coronavirus - Aus Govt Tracing App

Old May 24th 2020, 12:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID-19 / Coronavirus - Aus Govt Tracing App

Originally Posted by Beoz
Why bother fighting it? If it helps in anyway shape or form to speed up the contact tracing abilities just install it. This morning the NSW CMO said their analysis of the data shows excellent results on Android and poorer results on Apple but they are tweaking the app to perform better on Apple. Like all software the first release is never the final. Just install it and stop being a hindrance.
Who's fighting what? And I have no idea what relevance the rest of your post has to what I posted. I was simply pointing out that what we'd been told about the numbers downloading the app being necessary before restrictions could be eased wasn't true.
Old May 25th 2020, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Who's fighting what? And I have no idea what relevance the rest of your post has to what I posted. I was simply pointing out that what we'd been told about the numbers downloading the app being necessary before restrictions could be eased wasn't true.
They also said lockdown would be in place until September. They also said free child care was for 6 months - they changed it. Victoria said school would not resume until term 3. Queensland want closed borders until September. NSW bought 1200 ventilators - they are currently using 3. They said 6 million people are on job seeker - due to some dumb employers putting in 1500 rather than 1 it turns out to be 3 million.

I don't think there is a rule book on COVID 19 even for the medical professionals who give the guidance here.
Old May 25th 2020, 7:49 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

They also said lockdown would be in place until September. They also said free child care was for 6 months - they changed it. Victoria said school would not resume until term 3. Queensland want closed borders until September. NSW bought 1200 ventilators - they are currently using 3. They said 6 million people are on job seeker - due to some dumb employers putting in 1500 rather than 1 it turns out to be 3 million.

I don't think there is a rule book on COVID 19 even for the medical professionals who give the guidance here.
I really think if someone said 'it's a nice day' you'd turn it into a rant You know, sometimes people just post something for information without an ulterior motive in mind.
Old May 25th 2020, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I really think if someone said 'it's a nice day' you'd turn it into a rant You know, sometimes people just post something for information without an ulterior motive in mind.
Its not a nice day, in Perth or Sydney. Right?
Old May 26th 2020, 10:51 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

<snip>

On an alternative track, what is it with it the idiots in Victoria that they can't deal with the infectious and potentially infectious? Who the hell lets someone get on a domestic aircraft after an international arrival without testing them before FFS? Looks like it's not luck that means Victoria still has cases - it's incompetence.

Last edited by moneypenny20; May 26th 2020 at 12:10 pm. Reason: Unnecessary.
Old May 26th 2020, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
<snip>

On an alternative track, what is it with it the idiots in Victoria that they can't deal with the infectious and potentially infectious? Who the hell lets someone get on a domestic aircraft after an international arrival without testing them before FFS? Looks like it's not luck that means Victoria still has cases - it's incompetence.
Not aware of this story. Isn't everyone entering from abroad supposed to be 2 week hotel quarrentined in their arrival city?
Old Jun 19th 2020, 3:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Got in the car yesterday and was confused why Spotify didn't start up. Forgot about it until I was reading a FB post from a friend saying he'd found the COVID app had been put on his phone without his knowledge. Checked and found it on mine. I must have missed the memo saying they were doing that. Not impressed.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Got in the car yesterday and was confused why Spotify didn't start up. Forgot about it until I was reading a FB post from a friend saying he'd found the COVID app had been put on his phone without his knowledge. Checked and found it on mine. I must have missed the memo saying they were doing that. Not impressed.
Are you saying the Australian government has forced Apple or Android to install an app on your phone?
Old Jun 19th 2020, 11:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you saying the Australian government has forced Apple or Android to install an app on your phone?

Old Jun 19th 2020, 2:07 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm saying I didn't download the app on my Android but yesterday it was on my Android. I've never even looked the app up.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 10:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm saying I didn't download the app on my Android but yesterday it was on my Android. I've never even looked the app up.
Well, a few questions and a lot of digging around overnight....... no evidence at all of any plans to force the app onto people's phones. Its a mystery.
Old Jun 20th 2020, 3:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Seems it isn't the Govt app, its the phone company.....https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53120290A Covid-19 tracing software tool has appeared in the settings of both Android phones and iPhones as part of an update of their operating systems.

The "exposure notification" tool is switched off by default, and is not a tracing app itself.

It enables an app to run in the background while still using Bluetooth.

This lets the app measure the distance between two handsets - and then alert the phone owner if someone near them later tests positive for Covid-19.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Was it the COVIDSafe app? As Polly pointed out Apple and Google have been working on their own apps.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 12:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Seems it isn't the Govt app, its the phone company.....https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53120290A Covid-19 tracing software tool has appeared in the settings of both Android phones and iPhones as part of an update of their operating systems.

The "exposure notification" tool is switched off by default, and is not a tracing app itself.

It enables an app to run in the background while still using Bluetooth.

This lets the app measure the distance between two handsets - and then alert the phone owner if someone near them later tests positive for Covid-19.
Interesting, thanks Poll.

Was it the COVIDSafe app? As Polly pointed out Apple and Google have been working on their own apps.
Can't remember, I deleted it after seeing COVID app. Updates are one thing, installing random apps during an update, and turning off Bluetooth at the same time is something else entirely. No matter, in future I' might actually read what's going to be updated before clicking the 'Update now' button so I'm not taken by surprise when something odd happens!
Old Jun 21st 2020, 12:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting, thanks Poll.

Can't remember, I deleted it after seeing COVID app. Updates are one thing, installing random apps during an update, and turning off Bluetooth at the same time is something else entirely. No matter, in future I' might actually read what's going to be updated before clicking the 'Update now' button so I'm not taken by surprise when something odd happens!
I learnt my lesson when a U2 album downloaded itself to my iPod some years ago, horrific it was

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.