Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 / Coronavirus - Aus Govt Tracing App

COVID-19 / Coronavirus - Aus Govt Tracing App

Old Apr 23rd 2020, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID-19 / Coronavirus - Aus Govt Tracing App

There's another similar thread on The Barbie. As it stands I would not download such an app for reasons given on that thread. Namely the accuracy along with issues of what happens further down the track. As I explained, there is a saying, that being "never let a crisis go to waste".A bit of Cartian skepticism in order here, I'm afraid.
Old Apr 24th 2020, 12:26 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged. Sorry for missing it earlier.
Old Apr 24th 2020, 12:59 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It will be illegal for anyone other than Health officials to access the data from the tracking app.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...rce=reddit.com
Old Apr 24th 2020, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It will be illegal for anyone other than Health officials to access the data from the tracking app.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...rce=reddit.com
Now why doesn't that install confidence in me? Government, or at least this side of politics have long proven that they cannot be trusted. Or at best such guarantees are largely irrelevant. You may recall the Metadata scandal that telco's collected?
Old Apr 25th 2020, 1:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Now why doesn't that install confidence in me? Government, or at least this side of politics have long proven that they cannot be trusted. Or at best such guarantees are largely irrelevant. You may recall the Metadata scandal that telco's collected?
Preaching to the choir.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

So if someone is diagnosed with C-19 who is responsible for changing the app to show that this person is infected?
Old Apr 26th 2020, 12:26 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game
So if someone is diagnosed with C-19 who is responsible for changing the app to show that this person is infected?
Although they haven't released said app yet, they say the process looks like :
When people downloaded the app they would be required to enter:
  • Their name
  • Their age range
  • Their postcode
  • Their phone number
Then, when people were within 1.5 metres for 15 minutes, the app via Bluetooth, would record the other person's name and phone number. They say it's encrypted on the phone, ...

If someone was confirmed positive, their data goes up to a central data store, so those people who's details had been captured could be called.

Now, if you are paying attention, you will realise why anyone who knows will be noping out. You have to provide personally identifying information, which someone else then records, and for some reason that gets sent to a central store. Obvious issues are that the personal details shouldn't be necessary, the fact that the are captured to your phone makes it possible for someone to use the app to intercept and store said info for their own purposes, and the government grabs the info into a central store - which isn't needed.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Although they haven't released said app yet, they say the process looks like :
When people downloaded the app they would be required to enter:
  • Their name
  • Their age range
  • Their postcode
  • Their phone number
Then, when people were within 1.5 metres for 15 minutes, the app via Bluetooth, would record the other person's name and phone number. They say it's encrypted on the phone, ...

If someone was confirmed positive, their data goes up to a central data store, so those people who's details had been captured could be called.

Now, if you are paying attention, you will realise why anyone who knows will be noping out. You have to provide personally identifying information, which someone else then records, and for some reason that gets sent to a central store. Obvious issues are that the personal details shouldn't be necessary, the fact that the are captured to your phone makes it possible for someone to use the app to intercept and store said info for their own purposes, and the government grabs the info into a central store - which isn't needed.
Exactly this. Intrusive seeking of information should be questioned. A simple action such as opening a Term Deposit account the other day, meant a host of questions I have never been asked before such as do I have any children. What has that to do with holding a bank account? It ended up me claiming to be not in possession of a mobile phone as keep a land line open for such purposes.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 4:59 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Exactly this. Intrusive seeking of information should be questioned. A simple action such as opening a Term Deposit account the other day, meant a host of questions I have never been asked before such as do I have any children. What has that to do with holding a bank account? It ended up me claiming to be not in possession of a mobile phone as keep a land line open for such purposes.
It's been released, and its even more of a cluster**** than expected. The mobile phone number validation seems to be broken/too simplistic on Android and iphone users are expected to keep their phones unlocked and with the app as the foreground task when they are walking around (because they have no access to the develop API side of things).

In short, this is amateur hour and I wouldn't trust it two times over.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

It's been released, and its even more of a cluster**** than expected. The mobile phone number validation seems to be broken/too simplistic on Android and iphone users are expected to keep their phones unlocked and with the app as the foreground task when they are walking around (because they have no access to the develop API side of things).

In short, this is amateur hour and I wouldn't trust it two times over.
Validation works here. App is in background. Running an Android here.

IPhone might be different as Bluetooth on Apple won't run in backgroud.

Just get on it and be a part of the solution rather than the problem.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 10:27 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Beoz
Just get on it and be a part of the solution rather than the problem.
This app is more problem than solution and I don't think anyone should be installing it. Not only is it badly set up, a vector for things we don't want, its also way too late to have any meaningful effect. When you have zero new cases, what's it supposed to do exactly, other than allow government to gauge exactly how dumb the general public are?

I'm betting it will be hacked inside 24 hours as well
Old Apr 26th 2020, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

This app is more problem than solution and I don't think anyone should be installing it. Not only is it badly set up, a vector for things we don't want, its also way too late to have any meaningful effect. When you have zero new cases, what's it supposed to do exactly, other than allow government to gauge exactly how dumb the general public are?
Garry, you have criminal history on waiting to take down anything the Liberal party implement. This just another one of your propaganda stunts. And a selfish dangerous one at that.

Badly set up? Why do tell. I have just told you the validation works fine so your propaganda came unstuck there.

You tried to tell us a few weeks back we needed full lockdown . That was total incorrect propaganda and as a result you haven't been seen on here for a week.

We are virtually at 0 new cases. This is the perfect time to implement in case of a wave 2. Is it really going to hurt you to receive a phone call telling you someone in Coles had the virus and you should have a test, perhaps to protect someone elderly close to you?

I'm betting it will be hacked inside 24 hours as well
So? So can any app on your phone. Ever do internet banking?
Old Apr 26th 2020, 11:29 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Garry, you have criminal history on waiting to take down anything the Liberal party implement. This just another one of your propaganda stunts. And a selfish dangerous one at that.
Sigh. Why is it the liberal/libertarian types are always the one to trust governments, provided they agree with the ideology? Usually of governments with fascist tendencies. This would be extremely dangerous for people to support no matter their politics. Which is I guess why you fall for it hook line and sinker.

Badly set up? Why do tell. I have just told you the validation works fine so your propaganda came unstuck there.
Bollocks. Just go and look at the people taking this app apart. It's very much amateur hour, which makes me think it will be perverted very quicky.

You tried to tell us a few weeks back we needed full lockdown . That was total incorrect propaganda and as a result you haven't been seen on here for a week.
You think I was wrong? You really haven't been paying attention, the only solution is eradication, as I said. Still is, even more so with the understanding that's been gained on reinfection and ventilators. Oh, and I've been on a different computer which is why I didn't bother to log in.

We are virtually at 0 new cases. This is the perfect time to implement in case of a wave 2.
Yep, focus on eradication and that's it. This app has nothing to do with that target.

Old Apr 26th 2020, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't be a lemming. It'll be a hard sell, I expect anyway. The Lib's certainly cannot be trusted . I have given an example previously. If you feel it is in your interest to get the app, by all means do so. Those of us that won't be getting it have ample concerns outlined already around the matter.

Old Apr 26th 2020, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sigh. Why is it the liberal/libertarian types are always the one to trust governments, provided they agree with the ideology? Usually of governments with fascist tendencies. This would be extremely dangerous for people to support no matter their politics. Which is I guess why you fall for it hook line and sinker.
It's got nothing to do with trusting governments. It's got everything to do with adopting a tool which will pin point some people a positive person has been in contact with.

You have been attempting to social distance right? That's the governments message. It's an easier message to sell because it's all about you you you. This one is all about everyone. It's just a slight re-adjustment for you.

You think I was wrong? You really haven't been paying attention, the only solution is eradication, as I said. Still is, even more so with the understanding that's been gained on reinfection and ventilators. Oh, and I've been on a different computer which is why I didn't bother to log in.

Yep, focus on eradication and that's it. This app has nothing to do with that target.
Find me a country that has eradicated the virus? It doesn't exist.

Find me a teacher that has been infected by a student? Again it doesn't exist.

Propaganda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.