Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Covert Racism! shhhhhhh

Covert Racism! shhhhhhh

Old Dec 13th 2009, 12:17 pm
native West Aussie

Genevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant future
Default Re: Covert Racism! shhhhhhh

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Accents are a pain in the arse. But they are not race and disliking them is not racism.
Not quite true. I can see where you're coming from, but in WA at least, discrimination on the basis of race is defined in the Equal Opportunity Act 1984 as follows:

a person discriminates against another person on the ground of race if, on the ground of —
(a) the race of the aggrieved person;
(b) a characteristic that appertains generally to persons of the race of the aggrieved person; or
(c) a characteristic that is generally imputed to persons of the race of the aggrieved person,

the discriminator —

(d) treats the aggrieved person less favourably than in the same circumstances, or in circumstances that are not materially different, the discriminator treats or would treat a person of a different race; or
(e) segregates the aggrieved person from persons of a different race.

In plain English, this means that if I don't hire you for a job on the basis of 'your Paki accent' (for example) this is direct racial discrimination, and is unlawful.

Guess who's had to develop up equal oppotunity training for their organisation and deliver it to 1500 employees??
Old Dec 13th 2009, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barbitana
Folks,
Sometimes find it absolutely disgusting to feel so-called "covert racism". Many examples are around like when your chance (with all qualifications/experience) to get a management position is considerably less than someone else (usually less qualified!)...actually I've heard (and felt) many horrible things...anyone else in the same boat?

Cheers,

PS. It's called "covert" as opposed to "overt" because no one's gonna attack you using a bat they just silently drop your request! with a nice smile though!
You only have to read through this forum to see how racist some Brits are to Aussies, lumping them all together as "uncaring" for example. Unfortunately it swings both ways!
Old Dec 13th 2009, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah of course I'm not Brit and am not saying anything about any particular race. What I am saying is absolutely about a bunch of people that prevent you from your very obvious rights with a nice smile or behind so-called policies.

I believe native English speakers do enjoy sort of immunity against 80% of these aweful actions. Just imagine a manager who kicks all non-native-english speakers out of interview just by putting this term in their job ads:

"Outstanding communication skills"

When you appear for an interview "hehehe" it turns out that the successful candidate will be working in an isolated room with a bunch of grunty equipment! and of course once a month might have a 30mins meeting with the manager!
Old Dec 13th 2009, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

I think its a world wide problem. For instance if an Australian white male was to apply for a role as an IT Manager in a company in Mumbai, I wonder if they would have equal opportunities for the job, or would an equal or less qualified "local" get the nod?

However we are told that there are vast shortages of skilled staff in Australia, so there should be plenty of jobs for everyone of any colour, race, creed or accent. Certainly there are people from every culture in my place or work, and at all levels, so these guys dont seem to have had any problem getting a job in the Australian workplace.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 3:57 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Barbitana
Folks,
Sometimes find it absolutely disgusting to feel so-called "covert racism". Many examples are around like when your chance (with all qualifications/experience) to get a management position is considerably less than someone else (usually less qualified!)...actually I've heard (and felt) many horrible things...anyone else in the same boat?

Cheers,

PS. It's called "covert" as opposed to "overt" because no one's gonna attack you using a bat they just silently drop your request! with a nice smile though!
Oh of course, because I didn't get the job it MUST be racism ... how dare they choose someone else, disgusting, outrageous, not fair, I want my mummy, blah blah blah ....

Maybe the real reason lies in your attitude at not being chosen and they picked up on it at the interview and/or aptitude tests.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yes, it's almost as bad as the UK.
Racism is far worse in Australia!
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by UncleKev
I think its a world wide problem. For instance if an Australian white male was to apply for a role as an IT Manager in a company in Mumbai, I wonder if they would have equal opportunities for the job, or would an equal or less qualified "local" get the nod?
Why compare Australia to a developing country? We would expect much higher standards with regards to anti-discrimination in Australia - I doubt India has many of the anti-discrimination laws that exist in Australia.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 7:43 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genevieve
In plain English, this means that if I don't hire you for a job on the basis of 'your Paki accent' (for example) this is direct racial discrimination, and is unlawful.
If a job does not require ""Outstanding communication skills"" and an applicant is rejected only for not having them then that is illegal discrimination but it would be, on its own, impossible to know if it is racism.

If a job does demonstrably require ""Outstanding communication skills"" and an applicant does not have them then that is legal discrimination even if it is characteristic of the person's purported race not to have them.

Last edited by WillBlack; Dec 13th 2009 at 9:21 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 7:49 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin
The word "racism" is used at the drop of a hat in Britain.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get a chance to read through the posts or you're just referring to the opening of the discussion?

Originally Posted by BAY
Oh of course, because I didn't get the job it MUST be racism ... how dare they choose someone else, disgusting, outrageous, not fair, I want my mummy, blah blah blah ....

Maybe the real reason lies in your attitude at not being chosen and they picked up on it at the interview and/or aptitude tests.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Why compare Australia to a developing country? We would expect much higher standards with regards to anti-discrimination in Australia - I doubt India has many of the anti-discrimination laws that exist in Australia.
Your attitude is exactly what is wrong. You see white people as naturally having higher standards than 'darkies' therefore its ok for Indians to be racist as they are less 'evolved' than higher beings i.e. White Westerners.

I find your view to be extraordinarily racist.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 10:40 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by comet555
Perhaps they thought she'd work for cheaper?
Well it didn't work... She got the job, and I gave up work and live off her income now

Old Dec 13th 2009, 10:44 pm
ABCDiamond

Maybe to some people, but not to others... As a Brit in the UK I never noticed it, but my wife did.

She prefers living in Australia = Racism is worse in the UK. (for some people)

Old Dec 13th 2009, 10:45 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
No just good taste
Old Dec 13th 2009, 11:04 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree. I reckon it's no different to the UK or most other western countries. A lot of what is defined as racism on this site i.e a white Australian discriminating against a white Briton is not racism - as both are of the same race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.