Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Covert Racism! shhhhhhh

Covert Racism! shhhhhhh

Old Dec 13th 2009, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Covert Racism! shhhhhhh

Folks,
Sometimes find it absolutely disgusting to feel so-called "covert racism". Many examples are around like when your chance (with all qualifications/experience) to get a management position is considerably less than someone else (usually less qualified!)...actually I've heard (and felt) many horrible things...anyone else in the same boat?

Cheers,

PS. It's called "covert" as opposed to "overt" because no one's gonna attack you using a bat they just silently drop your request! with a nice smile though!
Old Dec 13th 2009, 2:49 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Covert Racism! shhhhhhh

What race are you?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 3:10 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Covert Racism! shhhhhhh

I agree, my wife and I applied for the same job once, and she got it, even though I was more qualified. I reckon I lost the chance because I was white and English ... or Male, or something .... Whatever it was, they obviously discriminated against me.

Old Dec 13th 2009, 3:11 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I agree, my wife and I applied for the same job once, and she got it, even though I was more qualified. I reckon I lost the chance because I was white and English ... or Male, or something .... Whatever it was, they obviously discriminated against me.
No just good taste
Old Dec 13th 2009, 3:12 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
No just good taste
'Taste' discrimination then

Old Dec 13th 2009, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute

This shoud not make any difference! that's the whole point mate!
I am white but let's try it; develop 2 test CVs one with an Indian (or Chinese, Japanese, Middle easters, african or south american) name and call the other one "John Citizen" exactly the same qalifications, same certs and same experience...look at your phone to see which guy is going to get a call from the agency! pathetic!

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
What race are you?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:13 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Covert Racism! shhhhhhh

Originally Posted by Barbitana
This shoud not make any difference! that's the whole point mate!

I am white
Ah, well that will obviously count against you in a predominantly white country. I can appreciate your concern.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:24 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Perhaps they thought she'd work for cheaper?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:51 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Its the personality that matters. If you get lots of well qualified candidates, a friendly, team player will always swing it - unless of course they are women, not female, coloured, not coloured as the case may be.

I think i got a first class honors because I was female. I did another guys assignment once as a test and it was cracking - he got a 2:1. I never had less than a first I dont think. Either that or the lecturers guage you on past performance - he used to get a lot of 2:2s and was quite annoying.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:52 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

oh yes - and I find it extremely racist here. its quite stomach turning at times.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

You wont believe this, but I've heard about (and seen) guys invited to interviews then as soon as they revealed their actual accent (eastern european, MDern or even British or whatever) they were told "well, although someone else's been hired for the role but we just wanted to get some details from you!"

Originally Posted by viviennef
oh yes - and I find it extremely racist here. its quite stomach turning at times.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:50 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Folks,
Sometimes find it absolutely disgusting to feel so-called "covert racism". Many examples are around like when your chance (with all qualifications/experience) to get a management position is considerably less than someone else (usually less qualified!)...actually I've heard (and felt) many horrible things...anyone else in the same boat?

Cheers,

PS. It's called "covert" as opposed to "overt" because no one's gonna attack you using a bat they just silently drop your request! with a nice smile though!

Ahem. You make a couple of valid observations IMO, but I'd disagree with the conclusion. Firstly, management positions are in most cases positions of trust - be that project manager, general manager or a sales manager. Experience (and let alone educational credentials) is weighted heavily against how close your hiring manager feels you are "one of them" - in spirit, in prior behavior, perhaps they may be looking for someone who can bring their own team with them, or expand their customer base with their own personal network. Having an accent turns them off, true, so in the situation you describe, I'd make an accent (no pun) on the local network and value you can bring to the management position and sell it like there is no tomorrow.

The conclusion I disagree with, is manifestation of racism by recruiters, where I think it is plain 'ole odds game. I have no respect for what recruiters do (and can explain that in 1500 words or less, elsewhere). Simply put, they run against, lets say, one position that was put out to 10 recruiting agencies and there are 50-100 applicants. The hiring bonus goes to one - this is why they are piling up resumes to pick one or two up, that in their perception has a maximum chance of being hired, all for one reason - to increase their chance of being paid. This is why any threat to that, like an accent, is an off switch.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously racism exists everywhere in the world but surprised you find Sydney worse than other places given it has the seventh-largest percentage of foreign-born people in the world. All those people are finding jobs and employing each other so surprised it isn't just a mix of everyone now.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 10:30 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

You wont believe this, but I've heard about (and seen) guys invited to interviews then as soon as they revealed their actual accent (eastern european, MDern or even British or whatever) they were told "well, although someone else's been hired for the role but we just wanted to get some details from you!"
Accents are a pain in the arse. But they are not race and disliking them is not racism.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 10:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
Yes, it's almost as bad as the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.