Reload this Page >

Is cover letter required?

Is cover letter required?

Old Dec 30th 2009, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

passionite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is cover letter required?

Hi

I'm in the process of applying software jobs. Just wondering if a cover letter is required while I'm sending my resume..
Old Dec 30th 2009, 6:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is cover letter required?

Originally Posted by passionite
Hi

I'm in the process of applying software jobs. Just wondering if a cover letter is required while I'm sending my resume..
How else is the recipient going to know what the resume is for if you don't do a covering letter?
Old Dec 30th 2009, 6:23 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Is the Pope Catholic ?
Old Dec 30th 2009, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Most advertised jobs will have instructions on how to apply, and that will include writing a letter, follow them!

In the UK many employers will just ditch random CV's in the bin if not for an advertised post or if the other requested info is not included.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

passionite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
How else is the recipient going to know what the resume is for if you don't do a covering letter?
1. If CV is sent in reply for a job advertisement, isn't it obvious for the recipient what the resume is for?

2. If its a random email to an employer, isn't it enough to mention in the subject something like "Resume - C++ 10 years experience" ?

I'm not up to start a debate over this but just wish to understand if a 'cover letter' is essential for every job we apply?

I'm on a massive job hunt and just wondering if I have to compose a suitable cover letter for every job application?

Also, just curious that if so much information has to be mentioned in the cover letter, what is the resume for?
Old Dec 30th 2009, 8:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

1. If CV is sent in reply for a job advertisement, isn't it obvious for the recipient what the resume is for?

2. If its a random email to an employer, isn't it enough to mention in the subject something like "Resume - C++ 10 years experience" ?

I'm not up to start a debate over this but just wish to understand if a 'cover letter' is essential for every job we apply?

I'm on a massive job hunt and just wondering if I have to compose a suitable cover letter for every job application?

Also, just curious that if so much information has to be mentioned in the cover letter, what is the resume for?
If I, as an employer, received a resume with no letter, it would go in the bin. I would not know what job it related to and would assume the applicant was either stupid or just didn't understand the best way of getting a job.

You need to let them know what job you're applying for, briefly what your skills, abilities, benefits you would bring to the specific job etc etc etc. As has been said, the job advert should give details of the specifications required. That includes, normally, a detailed list of criteria requirements they want you to fulfil in that letter.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 10:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

No. Maybe the advertisement comes from a recruitment agency which has dozens or even hundreds of jobs advertised. How are they to know which one you're applying for?
See question 1.
Yes it is.
Yes you do.
In your cover letter you say which job you are applying for and outline very briefly why they should bother to look at your resume. Your resume/CV goes into detail about your experience and qualifications.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Wandering Hotelier is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be better to be more focused rather than sending masses of CVs which wont get read.

The letter is the opportunity to show where your skills and experience fit the specific needs of the employer. A CV doesnt really do that at a glance, the letter (and CV) helps you to get to the next step - the interview.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

If you applying online via SEEK or MyCareer then a cover letter most likely is not necessary as your resume is directly linked to that online application. I think too many people are stuck in the archaic mindset that you will be posting it.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Wandering Hotelier is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
If you applying online via SEEK or MyCareer then a cover letter most likely is not necessary as your resume is directly linked to that online application. I think too many people are stuck in the archaic mindset that you will be posting it.
but they pop out the other end in the HR office and someone has to read and sift them...
Old Dec 30th 2009, 10:47 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
Correct - Cover Letters belong to the days of Letters of Introduction and the Old Boys' Network.

There is no need to include one unless it's specifically asked for. This usually occurs where an employer is recruiting directly - a rarity these days. In IT most jobs are filled internally, or through contacts with previous contractors, or through agencies.

If the standard of English in some agency-advertised jobs in the likes of seek.com.au is anything to go by, it's likely that some of the recruitment consultants wouldn't even know what a Cover Letter is.

So if you're sending your CV to prospective employers on spec, then include one just to let them know something about yourself. Otherwise it's unnecessary.

For agency-advertised jobs I'd usually phone them first.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wandering Hotelier
but they pop out the other end in the HR office and someone has to read and sift them...

Well no actually. I highly doubt any HR office will be directly receiving them as overwhelmingly it will go to a recruitment agency and the online application is directly linked with a job reference number.