Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Court without solicitor

Court without solicitor

Old Apr 4th 2006, 12:32 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Court without solicitor help needed

Hi

It looks like my ex may not sign a Stat dec to allow the children to go to Australia.

we can not afford to go to court using a solicitor. It has already cost alot and that was just for sending letters !!!!

Has anyone gone though the family court without a solicitor?, Is it easy or very scary :scared: .

thanks for your help

Last edited by Lee Family; Apr 4th 2006 at 1:15 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Paul the spark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Court without solicitor help needed

Has anyone gone though the family court without a solicitor?, Is it easy or very scary :scared: .

thanks for your help [/QUOTE]

Hi

I worked for 10 years in the Manchester Courts as a Legal Executive although this was 7 years ago now I doubt the system has changed dramatically. Judges or District Judges are trained lawyers and are only, in my experience, difficult with other lawyers who come before them without sufficient knowledge of the case.

You should ensure that you are fully aware of your legal argument (ie the information you have which states why the court should allow you to take the children). You will be allowed to put your case forward and when the judge has heard the other side of the story he will make his decision. It is not unheard of for people to do this on their own and be sucessful.

Good luck and don't worry they will be kind to you I am sure.

Jo
Old Apr 4th 2006, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Court without solicitor help needed

Originally Posted by Lee Family
Hi

It looks like my ex may not sign a Stat dec to allow the children to go to Australia.

we can not afford to go to court using a solicitor. It has already cost alot and that was just for sending letters !!!!

thanks for your help

my ex represented himself on the first 2 court appearences, he had to have statements and you will need assistance with that i think! he looked prertty damnedscared to me, i was too and i had a solicitor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you know my story, he backed out when it came to the final hearing and he was going to need a barrister £400 per hour!!!!!!!!!

still cost us 2k though!

try everything, even offer to pay for a flight for him annually even though it might go through you!!!!
Old Apr 4th 2006, 7:34 pm
Jif
Forum Regular

Jif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant future
Default Re: Court without solicitor

Courts bend over backwards for "litigants in person" who don't have a lawyer.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jif

cant say that happened in my ex's case! everything was very matter of fact for both parties and we just went through the whole long process as mapped out. in fact, the second court appearence my ex tried to delay things and the judge made him look about an inch big!!
Old Apr 5th 2006, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jif

wouldn't say this was the case! court system is really about justice/fairness.... it's about who (or who's lawyer) puts up the best fight!

example: 2 men caught in same week for same crime. identical cases, ideatical judge, only difference 1 had legal rep, other self represented....

legal rep guy paid $5000 fine

non legal rep spent 6 months in prison!

lee family - have PMed you
Old Apr 5th 2006, 7:11 pm
Jif
Forum Regular

Jif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant future

I just mean in the case of family applications, that's been my experience, which I think is pretty fair