Couple of tips

Old Nov 25th 2003, 11:54 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Couple of tips

Hi All

Still trawling for jobs, although we do have 3 weeks mail sorting before Xmas.

Was advised the other day to de-UK my CV, which was 2 pages, and add more job description, achievements and reasons for leaving for each position.

Also when applying for government jobs, I've been ringing up the 'please call blah blah for more details' and introducing myself. One woman gave me a bit of insider info and said that she would look out for my resume.

Hope that these tips help and chin up to everyone still looking for work. Apparently it'll pick up after Xmas!
Old Nov 26th 2003, 12:38 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Couple of tips

Originally posted by Pookin
Hi All

Was advised the other day to de-UK my CV, which was 2 pages, and add more job description, achievements and reasons for leaving for each position.

Also when applying for government jobs, I've been ringing up the 'please call blah blah for more details' and introducing myself. One woman gave me a bit of insider info and said that she would look out for my resume.

Hope that these tips help and chin up to everyone still looking for work. Apparently it'll pick up after Xmas!
I've just interviewed some people for a job here, and the CVs I was sent by the agencies ranged in size from 5 pages (the shortest) to 17 pages!! I called up one agent (the guy who found me this job when I was still in the UK) and asked him what the hell he was doing sending me a 15 page CV, and did he really think I was going to wade through it? Apparently, you put EVERYTHING into a CV out here...... so forget all that 'maximum 2 A4 pages for your CV' stuff you learned applying for UK jobs.

Also, check the various companies / university / government websites - they usually have a 'vacancies' page, where you can trawl for jobs in your specialty, and then contact, by phone or email, the people who'd actually be doing the interview.

Watch out for 'internal only' jobs - they won't look at an external CV, and a lot of the externally advertised jobs will go to internal applicants by preference, otherwise the unions want to know why their members aren't getting preferential treatment!

So, yeah, good tips.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 1:18 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pookin
Hi All

Well done on getting the postal job Pookin,

My CV is probably 15 pages long, I had been thinking about shortening it, so probably good you and DUP posted this info. The trouble with a detailed CV is that its then difficult to de UK it because of the detail.

We have stopped writing any reference to the UK on any letters of introduction but my referees are all in UK!!
Old Nov 26th 2003, 1:23 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Jirrupin
We have stopped writing any reference to the UK on any letters of introduction but my referees are all in UK!!
Hi Donna

Email addresses and (UK) phone numbers are good enough. The bloke we just hired has just come back to Oz from the UK, having spent 12 years there, so all his referees are UK. Put 'References on request' on the bottom of the CV. That's perfectly acceptable.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 1:36 am
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by downunderpom
Hi Donna

Email addresses and (UK) phone numbers are good enough. The bloke we just hired has just come back to Oz from the UK, having spent 12 years there, so all his referees are UK. Put 'References on request' on the bottom of the CV. That's perfectly acceptable.
Hi,

Yes I have all the UK phone numbers and email addresses, I even have written references from my last 5 employers, which I had to obtain for my skills assessment.

But when I had my interview with the Centrelink guy, he told me that they were no good because I could have written them myself and that employers wouldn't bother contacting the UK!! I said its easy now with email and he said I suppose it is, but he clearly didn't think it was going to happen. I know people have said with government jobs etc that they would contact the UK referee and if I am ever lucky enough to get that far I would expect them to check out my credentials.

He offered to be a OZ referee for me, he said he could tell people he had met me and I seemed a nice person!!!!

When I did get an interview I put him forward as a referree and it was dismissed!!

I always add his name add and tel no. to my applications, but its not brought any joy at the moment. It does seem that WA is particularly insular. He's probably forgotten who I was now He probably says everyone is nice when a prospective employers rings him just to keep his figures up.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 1:41 am
I like kittens.

If the employers are interested in you, they'll send off the emails. If they get no response, then they may question your choice of referees, and ask for alternatives. At the end of the day, they'll trust their own judgement, based on the interview, rather than some faceless stranger.
Also, I suppose in your line of work they have to be a bit more careful than (say) an IT person. All we can screw up is some data / hardware - you deal with people's lives!

Keep your chin up - it will happen for you.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

I am proud of my UK experience and believe it counted for alot when I got the job out here and I had no shortage of interviews and 2 offers when i arrived.

Two employees made appointments by email to phone my referees and rang them up for the references.

Therefore it could depend entirely on what industry you are in and what role you are looking for as to whether you 'de' UK your CV or make it 2 or 15 pages. You can't generalise.

My CV was 4 pages but the front sheet was a summary.

Mash

PS There are vacancies at my company for Merchandise Planners, Buyers and Buying Controllers, in Adelaide...UK Blue Chip experience would be an advantage.

Originally posted by downunderpom
If the employers are interested in you, they'll send off the emails. If they get no response, then they may question your choice of referees, and ask for alternatives. At the end of the day, they'll trust their own judgement, based on the interview, rather than some faceless stranger.
Also, I suppose in your line of work they have to be a bit more careful than (say) an IT person. All we can screw up is some data / hardware - you deal with people's lives!

Keep your chin up - it will happen for you.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 6:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've got 2 CVs/Resumes - one is the full version, 12 pages, details of all the duties in all my jobs etc, the other is 4 pages and just has basic details - so if I'm going for a basic job (like sorting mail) I use the short one, for anything serious like government jobs, use the full version. I've also got 2 written references from the UK which have been accepted by all the employers I've offered them too.
Another thing I've found that they like here, which is now disregarded in the UK, is info about hobbies/interests/club memberships etc.
Thats a good tip from Downunderpom about the webpages - I've got a list that I go through daily with university sites, government jobs, etc - they are often updated on a day to day basis, and jobs turn up there sometimes before they go on the "Seek" and other agency sites.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 6:42 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Put your CV on your web site, along with links to previous employers websiates and e-mail addresses. It's pretty easy really.

Should add: if you include e-mail addresses, make sure someone must edit them for them to work; for example <[email protected]>; so that robots will not suck e-mail addresses from your website and spam your referees.

Last edited by Megalania; Nov 26th 2003 at 8:19 am.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 6:48 am
WBB

Originally posted by Megalania
Put your CV on your web site, along with links to previous employers websiates and e-mail addresses. It's pretty easy really.

:scared:

that set's alarm bells off

Old Nov 26th 2003, 6:59 am
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by Megalania
It is a good idea, I have my own website geared solely for my CV it has copies of my references and certificates, police clearance etc. And my website address is on my CV.

I don't know if anyone looks at it though
Old Nov 26th 2003, 7:05 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jirrupin
It is a good idea, I have my own website geared solely for my CV it has copies of my references and certificates, police clearance etc. And my website address is on my CV.

I don't know if anyone looks at it though

What a great idea! Will ask the other half how to go about it. Tips welcome, though. Can I easily attach all my electronic copies of certificates etc?

P.S What is your URL, Donna. Was thinking that if we all network it might help.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 8:23 am
Good to be back in UK

Hi Pookin

I will send you PM, too many nuts lurk on these forums to reveal personal info.

Last edited by Jirrupin; Nov 26th 2003 at 8:38 am.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 9:50 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

12 page CV's!! unbelievable... who would possibly want to see 12 pages worth of CV. I know if I was hiring and saw a 12 page cv, it would go straight in the "head stuck up own arse" pile...

I suppose if you were going for professor of astrophysics, or CEO of the Australian Rugby Union or something - 12 pages would be okay.

But for the local supermarket, or IT support job or whatever, I would think 4 pages maximum.

Another thing I found - is that if you're looking for jobs outside your field - especially 'lesser' skilled positions - then dumbing down your CV is advisable. I think a lot of people can be intimidated by your experience and qualifications if you're going for a job a checkout operator.

I guess tailoring your CV to the job is the golden rule.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 9:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the "dumbing down " theory - hence having a shorter CV for the supermarket/ lavatory cleaner jobs.
However, when I have offered agencies the choice between the 12 page CV or the 4 page basic one, I've been asked for the longer one each time. Maybe I have got my "head up my own arse" but I still managed to get a job after producing my 12 pages of c**p

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.