Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Couple of stupid questions

Couple of stupid questions

Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

scott1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Couple of stupid questions

Is it worth me keping my laptop? I do have a plug in hard drive where everything is backed up on, so it can be moved from PC to PC. Just wondered how the laptop would work on the Ausi travel plugs. Being only a couple of quid I was worried if they will harm the laptop.

How easy is it to get an Aus license? I have a full car and bike one, so obviously, I'd like to get them swapped over to Aus versions too. Be nice to have a choice of car or bike.

TOM TOM. Read that they are expensive over there. Seems TOM TOM have wised up the the people moving to Aus as its £111. for an Aus map, yet only about £30 for any other country. Also seem to remember reading that the cars have a different ciggie plug. Are adaptors available?

Renting. Got a long way to go yet, but is it pretty easy to find a temporary place for a coule of weeks while I look for something more permanent. Its not so bad as its only going to be me going. So dont matter if its just a room to rent out really. Just wondered what people experiances are on this.

Thanks all.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:47 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Couple of stupid questions

Originally Posted by scott1974
Is it worth me keping my laptop? I do have a plug in hard drive where everything is backed up on, so it can be moved from PC to PC. Just wondered how the laptop would work on the Ausi travel plugs. Being only a couple of quid I was worried if they will harm the laptop.

Yuur laptop will work perfectly well with he trave; plug, same Voltage

How easy is it to get an Aus license? I have a full car and bike one, so obviously, I'd like to get them swapped over to Aus versions too. Be nice to have a choice of car or bike.

I had my licence in about 20 minutes from walking in the door so i dont see any problems there, a good idea to get this as soon as you get here as its a big thing when they ask for ID, i cant say if you will get the Bike licence on it withought any probs as i only had the car licence

TOM TOM. Read that they are expensive over there. Seems TOM TOM have wised up the the people moving to Aus as its £111. for an Aus map, yet only about £30 for any other country. Also seem to remember reading that the cars have a different ciggie plug. Are adaptors available?

get the TomTom in the UK they are expensive here, you can get the maps off Ebay $100 or so

Renting. Got a long way to go yet, but is it pretty easy to find a temporary place for a coule of weeks while I look for something more permanent. Its not so bad as its only going to be me going. So dont matter if its just a room to rent out really. Just wondered what people experiances are on this.

Cant help you with that sorry

Thanks all.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all.
I'd bring your laptop. My son's worked fine out here. If you bring a UK four way adaptor with power surge protection you will only need to change the plug to an Aussie one then you can plug in your laptop and a few other things if you need to.

It should be a straight swap for both car and bike, although some people have had trouble with the bike licence. Which state are you going to?, I will find the website with info on for you.

We bought a Navman a year ago. Cost us $499 - prices have come down a bit since then. Have a look on www.dse.com.au for an idea of prices. Remember to haggle if you buy one here

I stayed at a Big4 Caravan park www.big4.com.au - was great just like a holiday
Old Aug 28th 2007, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

scott1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. Looking at going to somewhere around the Brisbane area. Still dont know much about the suburbs. Dont want to end up somewhere and finding there are no jobs around there for me.

Will keep the laptop then. Not too fussed about a bike license, as ong as I can get a car one sorted and get my own wheels so I can at least travel looking for jobs. Unless I get a job lined up before I get there of course.

Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Looking at going to somewhere around the Brisbane area. Still dont know much about the suburbs. Dont want to end up somewhere and finding there are no jobs around there for me.

Will keep the laptop then. Not too fussed about a bike license, as ong as I can get a car one sorted and get my own wheels so I can at least travel looking for jobs. Unless I get a job lined up before I get there of course.

Thanks for your help.

Both licences should be a straight swap: http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...icence_holders