Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Couple of quick bank/currency exchange questions...

Couple of quick bank/currency exchange questions...

Old Feb 21st 2009, 10:55 am
Chief Innovation Officer

stormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nice
Default Couple of quick bank/currency exchange questions...

Hey!

Since we got our visa the day before Valentine's Day (hurrah!) we've swung into action. Or rather the OH has, while I attempt to extricate myself from a temporary commitment to the rat race.

Invariably at this time people have posers of an Australian nature. These concern money. Here:

1. Is there a bank recognised in Australia as a 'leader' in great customer service, that offers good accounts with benefits like unlimited or loads of ATM withdrawals for free/cheap?

2. We're on a 475 (which is technically classed as 'temporary') visa. I don't know how we stand regarding tax and stuff, since this isn't PR. BUT - how has anyone else who has moved to Oz, handled their currency exchange? Is there a wise way to do it - and a decent company to use to make the exchange from £ to AUD?

Thanks a billion!

Stormy
Old Feb 21st 2009, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Couple of quick bank/currency exchange questions...

Originally Posted by stormywhether
and a decent company to use to make the exchange from £ to AUD?

Stormy
I can recommend OzForex. Had no trouble at all with them and usually got a very good rate.

Last edited by marco121068; Feb 21st 2009 at 11:10 am. Reason: Typo
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

1. Is there a bank recognised in Australia as a 'leader' in great customer service, that offers good accounts with benefits like unlimited or loads of ATM withdrawals for free/cheap?
No. You will find threads on here with good and horror stories for all the banks.

2. We're on a 475 (which is technically classed as 'temporary') visa. I don't know how we stand regarding tax and stuff, since this isn't PR. BUT - how has anyone else who has moved to Oz, handled their currency exchange? Is there a wise way to do it - and a decent company to use to make the exchange from £ to AUD?
Use somebody like Ozforex (as already mentioned) or HiFx. Every transfer I've done I've found their rates to be better than the banks.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

Hey!

Since we got our visa the day before Valentine's Day (hurrah!) we've swung into action. Or rather the OH has, while I attempt to extricate myself from a temporary commitment to the rat race.

Invariably at this time people have posers of an Australian nature. These concern money. Here:

Thanks a billion!

Stormy
1. We're with Citibank over here. No withdrawl fees if your salaries are paid in each month and come to over
$2500 (check this figure).
We opened a sterling current account in the UK with a AUD savings acount linked to it. We put our money that we had converted at the time in this and withdrew it and paid for things with cash (not a bad thing) over here, until we got our Citibank account sorted over here.
Overall, not a bad service. Took a little bit longer to get our cards, but apart from that no complaints.
Usual stuff comes with it : personal banker, internet and telephone banking etc

2. We used Hifx as their service and return of calls was better. Really good.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:40 pm
Chief Innovation Officer

stormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nice

Originally Posted by lastone
We opened a sterling current account in the UK with a AUD savings acount linked to it.
That sounds great. Can you tell me more about this: which bank, and what specifically you asked the bank for in terms of the account type, etc?

Thanks!

Stormy
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

That sounds great. Can you tell me more about this: which bank, and what specifically you asked the bank for in terms of the account type, etc?

Thanks!

Stormy
It was with Citibank. We phoned them and told them what we needed, they told us what they had.

One of the things that attracted us was that we could do sameday electronic tranfers from the UK AUD account to our OZ account, though when we tried to it would only let us transfer 22,000 at time online. We did over the phone and it took 4 days to clear. It wasn't a problem, but is something to bear in mind when you go with them, although I don't think it's much different with any of the other banks

http://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/b...?merchant=citi

Try the link and you can see the dirfferent sorts of accounts
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

hitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nice

Hey!

Thanks a billion!

Stormy
i invest money globally and for any currency exchanges i always use RationalFX, £-oz$ quote me very tight and money on account there in 2 days... can give you my dealers details if you want, sure he will look after you.
Will
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:37 pm
Chief Innovation Officer

Originally Posted by hitchw
i invest money globally and for any currency exchanges i always use RationalFX, £-oz$ quote me very tight and money on account there in 2 days... can give you my dealers details if you want, sure he will look after you.
Will
Awesome - please do fella! I can't seem to PM you - but you can me! Would really appreciate it.

Thanks a million!

Dave