Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A couple of Questions

A couple of Questions

Old May 16th 2011, 7:02 am
Just Joined

therecanbeonlyone is an unknown quantity at this point
Question A couple of Questions

My partner and I are hoping to come over to Bribane around October on her 457 Visa, how long before we can apply for a mortgage? Would we need to be PR for one? How much deposit would we need?

When we come over we will both be 44 will we still be ok applying for a PR after 2 years or should we look to start before we are 45?
Old May 16th 2011, 7:15 am
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all
Default Re: A couple of Questions

The two year rule is a myth...............

You can apply for an ENS PR visa (856) as long as you meet the criteria to get it. The two year rule that most people talk about is to avoid a skills assessment which is a requirement for the 856 visa if you have not been doing the job in Australia for two years.

With the mortgage question it will depend on the lending criteria of the bank you go to. We were able to secure a mortgage on a 457 visa after 3 months, but we put down a 70% deposit.

There are no hard and fast rules on getting credit I'm afraid.
Old May 16th 2011, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by therecanbeonlyone
My partner and I are hoping to come over to Bribane around October on her 457 Visa, how long before we can apply for a mortgage? Would we need to be PR for one? How much deposit would we need?

When we come over we will both be 44 will we still be ok applying for a PR after 2 years or should we look to start before we are 45?
If I were 44, I would probably be looking to get PR asap. It isn't impossible after then by any means, but it is just a bit harder.
Old May 16th 2011, 9:51 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Antney
The two year rule is a myth...............

You can apply for an ENS PR visa (856) as long as you meet the criteria to get it. The two year rule that most people talk about is to avoid a skills assessment which is a requirement for the 856 visa if you have not been doing the job in Australia for two years.

With the mortgage question it will depend on the lending criteria of the bank you go to. We were able to secure a mortgage on a 457 visa after 3 months, but we put down a 70% deposit.

There are no hard and fast rules on getting credit I'm afraid.
A minor correction - you applying is step two, and step one is the employer processing the nomination for the visa on your behalf. If they do not want (or can not, as in not eligible themselves) to do that, there is nothing you can do do make them. Unless you have their picture with a goat, which is somewhat unlikely me thinks.

Re. mortgage - if you are on a temp visa, am I right in thinking you need to get a FIRB approval before you can buy any property?
Old May 16th 2011, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.firb.gov.au/content/real_...ct_sheets2.asp

FIRB approval is usually very fast and easy. You add a clause to the house/land buying contract to say that the sale is subject to FIRB approval.
Old May 16th 2011, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

therecanbeonlyone is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for your replies