Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A couple of questions

A couple of questions

Old Feb 11th 2004, 12:19 am
I never gave up trying

gunnercaz is on a distinguished road
Question A couple of questions

Applied for skilled Independant Visa(Nov 2003) and sent a certified copy of the positive skills assement letter from Australian Computer Society - Should I have sent the original?
Heard its quicker to send the original as it may delay the application as they may request it later? Should I send it on? Any views?

If the visa is granted - Not sure whether or not to move furniture as I have been told that wood and other material is not accepted - My bed is pine, along with wardrobes and stuff - What things can be transported that meets the Australia guidelines?

Views on the above 2 questions would be appreciated. :-))

Many thanks.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 12:22 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A couple of questions

They asked me for the origional, cos i only sent a certified copy.
Bring all of your furniture, unless you are loaded!
Wood is fine, they don't like bamboo.

trying to find link for list of stuff they don't accept
Old Feb 11th 2004, 12:26 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

click here....

http://www.affa.gov.au/content/outpu...A7D8C8015E4BDD

should help!
Old Feb 11th 2004, 12:47 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: A couple of questions

Originally posted by gunnercaz
Applied for skilled Independant Visa(Nov 2003) and sent a certified copy of the positive skills assement letter from Australian Computer Society - Should I have sent the original?
Heard its quicker to send the original as it may delay the application as they may request it later? Should I send it on? Any views?

If the visa is granted - Not sure whether or not to move furniture as I have been told that wood and other material is not accepted - My bed is pine, along with wardrobes and stuff - What things can be transported that meets the Australia guidelines?

Views on the above 2 questions would be appreciated. :-))

Many thanks.
Pine furniture is pretty cheap here in Aus.. it's just things like hardwood (decent wood) are expensive and hard to come by.

Pine beds - cheap, around $300/400 for queen, and as cheap as $200 for the slatted type, around $100 and something for a single slatted bed , a decent mattress - expensive. Wardrobes - don't bother if you're moving to a new house , most new homes have built in wardrobes. Again there are plenty of Pine furniture shops around which are cheap. I was browsing in one the other week over at Strathpine (can't remember the shop's name, but was near Super A Mart) big carved book shelves - stained pine around $89/$99, buffets - $300, big Tv stands - around $350/400.

Dining Tables - expensive - a decent sized one will set you back about $800 plus (and that's just pine)
Decent coffee table - expensive
Tables seem the most expensive items of furniture here , but as for the rest - pine is pretty cheap here in the independently owned shops (non - big chain stores)

Personally I can't stand pine (too soft a wood) . .. and wish I had bought /stocked up on a lot more decent furniture when I left Sing . Hubby has just started to get into the old woodwork now.. happily playing in the garage in the evenings with his toys - had enough of pine furniture which scratches and warps.

Don't get me wrong the pine shops here - some of the furniture looks very nice, and is pretty cheap, but personally I do not like pine as it's not very hardwearing.

But I'd leave your wardrobes if I were you - I have not lived in one house here that does not have built -in wardrobes. Depends on your house.

cheers