Reload this Page >

Couple moving to Sydney in Aug - Paul & Amy

Couple moving to Sydney in Aug - Paul & Amy

Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

Connell_UK2Syd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Couple moving to Sydney in Aug - Paul & Amy

Hello all,

Writing this from my newly emptied flat (all furniture packed up and on a ship) the move to Sydney is now starting to feel very real.

Myself and my partner Amy are moving over in just 2 weeks with work and would love to hear from people here with any advice, any social groups and, for myself, any sports groups (running/football) that people would recommend.

Cheers,

Paul
Old Jul 31st 2012, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Couple moving to Sydney in Aug - Paul & Amy

Originally Posted by Connell_UK2Syd
Hello all,

Writing this from my newly emptied flat (all furniture packed up and on a ship) the move to Sydney is now starting to feel very real.

Myself and my partner Amy are moving over in just 2 weeks with work and would love to hear from people here with any advice, any social groups and, for myself, any sports groups (running/football) that people would recommend.

Cheers,

Paul
Sydney is a pretty big place - where are you moving to?
Old Jul 31st 2012, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Connell_UK2Syd is an unknown quantity at this point

We'll be in Chatswood for the first month. I'll be working in Epping so will most likely live somewhere like Crows Nest/Balmain etc to be close to harbour and work.

P
Old Jul 31st 2012, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

We'll be in Chatswood for the first month. I'll be working in Epping so will most likely live somewhere like Crows Nest/Balmain etc to be close to harbour and work.

P
Oh, sorry but you will be along way from our gang down here in The Shire....but good luck.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

P
Crows Nest/Balmain is a strange choice for someone working in Epping. Crows does make a bit more sense, but Balmain is a strange choice if proximity to Epping is key. It can be done but a bit of a nightmare, as you'd end up driving through some pretty snarled up routes and tolls.

In what you are looking for, I'd say you'd be better off having Chatswood as a hub and looking at Lane Cove, Lindfield, Greenwich kind of areas. Lots of greenery for running, pools, sports and a much easier commute.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

P
Chatswood is a mostly Chinese community and gets very busy everyday of the week. I use to work there and it was always a nightmare driving and finding a parking spot even in Westfield. Even on foot it was chaos. I would suggest Crows Nest as a better place for commuting to Epping and the city. St Leonards station is a 5 min walk from Crows Nest.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:11 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

+1
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future

Check out the Thursday after-work drinks in the city when you arrive. Always a nice way to meet a few people. Chatswood will be handy as a place to start with because of the train line, and you won't need to go into the city for the likes of opening a bank account, getting a driving license, medicare card etc.., but yes, I agree that I wouldn't want to live there too long, and parking is a pain in the posterior. If you like Asian food though, you're sorted!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the others. Chatswood is fine for initial settling in, but not as a permanent base. It will also depend on your income as to where you live- the closer to the CBD the pricier things are on the North Shore, unless you live in a not very nice bit. Lindfield is very nice, but again has a favoured side.
I keep laughing, even after 4 years when the radio announcer keeps going on about traffic hold ups in the Epping tunnel- it sounds like "F-ing" tunnel. Avoid a travel route that involves it though.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 10:45 am
Just Joined

georgieboy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, me and my girlfriend recently moved to Balmain from bristol. we are keen to meet new people and make some friends. how about meeting up some time?
Old Aug 15th 2012, 3:36 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

georgieboy, look under the meet ups forum, their is a regular Sydney CBD drinks on every thursday and we have a couple of couples from Balmain/Drummoyne area...even a fellow from Brizzle as well I believe!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

I lived in artarmon for a while and that was ok. Chatswood isn't to bad. There's as many Anglo Australian there as there is Chinese, just not many brits. And coincidentally the rent is about $200 less for similar accommodation just 1 train stop away in st Leonard's/crows nest. And check out the great northern on a week night if you get bored.

Last edited by martin1978; Aug 16th 2012 at 10:54 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

We live in Carlingford (before Epping, a while ago Marsfield & St Leonards)

No advice really just wanted to say hello, I am planning on organising a few meetups but the first few will be child related.

I am from Sydney originally, him indoors in the expat but we both don't know many people in Sydney so would be good to meet others.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

YOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really nice

we are coming to Sydney Nov12,we were recommended Canterbury we are mid 40s with girls 12 and 9 any one around Canterbury or any groups etc, OH is working in St Peters,
Old Sep 11th 2012, 4:23 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by YOFFSBACK
we are coming to Sydney Nov12,we were recommended Canterbury we are mid 40s with girls 12 and 9 any one around Canterbury or any groups etc, OH is working in St Peters,
What was the Canterbury recommendation based on? That's quite a defined suburb to recommend, as opposed to Inner West etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.