Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A couple of (legal) ways to gain some extra money when emigrating

A couple of (legal) ways to gain some extra money when emigrating

Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:33 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A couple of (legal) ways to gain some extra money when emigrating

Really great thread Buzzy, thank you
Old Jul 27th 2010, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Damson
2. Choose to shop at places that participate in the VAT refund scheme. If you are leaving the country for ever, anything you buy in your final 3 months in the UK from a shop participating in the VAT refund scheme is VAT-free, provided you take it with you when you go. I bought a heap of stuff from M&S, new work suit, shirts, even socks and pants. You then fill in one of their refund forms, they give you a stamped receipt. Here's the trick - you then present this at the VAT refund counter at Heathrow and they will give you all the VAT back in cash, any currency. In our case they did not ask to see proof that we were exporting the goods.

Does this apply only to goods that you take to the airport or could you, say, buy a fridge from M&S and take the receipt to the airport for a refund?
No. You have to take the goods to the airport with you. You may get away without having to show the goods, but don't bank on it.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:00 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
No. You have to take the goods to the airport with you. You may get away without having to show the goods, but don't bank on it.

Cheers

Steve
ahhh ... that's a shame. All the details are here. Items sent as "freight" do not qualify for the refund...
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:14 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I knew about most but not the VAT free stuff. Wish I had known that at the time. Are you able to get your VAT back when you are there on holidays too I wonder? Missed out there I think

Oh well live and learn

Jo
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:17 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joh117
I knew about most but not the VAT free stuff. Wish I had known that at the time. Are you able to get your VAT back when you are there on holidays too I wonder? Missed out there I think

Oh well live and learn

Jo
Yes you are, provided you do not live in the UK or, I think, Europe.

BB
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:58 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We had to show our Australian passports at Heathrow to get the VAT refund - I would have thought that a UK one wouldn't cut the mustard.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joh117

Oh well live and learn

Jo
I think you can, as long as you are taking them with you. You can't send them in advance and have to prove that you don't live in the UK (according to M&S when I asked them ages ago)
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
1. Work out how much tax in total you will have paid on the date you emigrate by looking at a pay slip and multiplying the tax by the number of months of the tax year you will have worked (assuming you get paid the same each month).

2. Then look up the income tax threshholds for the tax year you are emigrating in. Work out the total you will have earned in the tax year you are emigrating in by multiplying your gross pay by the number of months in the tax year until you emigrate. Then apply that total to the income tax thresholds to get the amount of tax you should have paid.

The rebate will be approximately the answer to 1 minus the answer to 2.

BB
Thanks.

Tax threshold in the UK is currently £6,475 for anyone wanting to know. I will be owed a nice amount, plus the extra of untaken holiday pay from my work when I leave, this is looking to be a lovely little bonus!!!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:59 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Course now that I mentioned getting a refund on your TV licence I've realised that we pay ours monthly so we won't be entitled to a refund!!

But hopefully it'll be useful for someone else...

Tx
Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

One question I'd like to ask regarding the P85 tax refund...

If one was to return to the UK before the start of the next tax year, and gain employment, would they have to pay the refunded tax money back? Or would they just be on a stupidly high tax code for the rest of the year?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:02 pm
kjj
Forum Regular

kjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RedT
Course now that I mentioned getting a refund on your TV licence I've realised that we pay ours monthly so we won't be entitled to a refund!!

But hopefully it'll be useful for someone else...

Tx
Even if you pay monthly you will get some refund because you pay in advance for half of your next licence.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:33 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kjj
Even if you pay monthly you will get some refund because you pay in advance for half of your next licence.
Oh swish! No harm in asking them I suppose, see what they say when the time comes!

Tx
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RedT
Oh swish! No harm in asking them I suppose, see what they say when the time comes!

Tx
Yes you can, as I managed to get quite a bit back from them earlier this year!!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
We had to show our Australian passports at Heathrow to get the VAT refund - I would have thought that a UK one wouldn't cut the mustard.
You can show any passport you like. To get the VAT refund you need to be a non-EU resident, not a non-EU citizen.

I've had VAT refunded a couple of times and I only have a British passport.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:10 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A couple of (legal) ways to gain some extra money when emigrating

Originally Posted by Wol
A UK one is fine mate as long as you can prove you are leaving the UK/EU for at least a year. So a one-way ticket and an Australian visa would do it for instance.

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.