Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Countdown to Xmas in Oz - what countdown??? No fuss - it's great!

Wikiposts

Countdown to Xmas in Oz - what countdown??? No fuss - it's great!

Old Nov 17th 2005, 11:24 pm
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of
Default Countdown to Xmas in Oz - what countdown??? No fuss - it's great!

This will be my second Xmas here this year and it still feels great not having that awful countdown to Xmas that seems to start in Britain around the end of September. In fact, you'd hardly know it was Xmas in 6 weeks or whatever it is.

You can easily get parked in shopping centres. There are a few Xmas decorations around but it's not being rammed down our throats. Best of all up here on the Sunshine Coast is that most shops seem to have big sales just BEFORE Xmas.

The most stressful thing to think about is how many kilos of prawns to buy and which beach to eat them on.....

Ho ho ho and a bottle of
Old Nov 17th 2005, 11:25 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Countdown to Xmas in Oz - what countdown??? No fuss - it's great!

Originally Posted by sunshinesarah
This will be my second Xmas here this year and it still feels great not having that awful countdown to Xmas that seems to start in Britain around the end of September. In fact, you'd hardly know it was Xmas in 6 weeks or whatever it is.

You can easily get parked in shopping centres. There are a few Xmas decorations around but it's not being rammed down our throats. Best of all up here on the Sunshine Coast is that most shops seem to have big sales just BEFORE Xmas.

The most stressful thing to think about is how many kilos of prawns to buy and which beach to eat them on.....

Ho ho ho and a bottle of
It's gathering pace here in Melbourne, one of our neighbours had their tree up four weeks ago
Old Nov 17th 2005, 11:29 pm
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fraser
It's gathering pace here in Melbourne, one of our neighbours had their tree up four weeks ago
Blimey. Do they do the dodgy external house decorations down there too?
Old Nov 17th 2005, 11:36 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey. Do they do the dodgy external house decorations down there too?
Yep they're running a competition where we live, I saw it in the local rag.

Haven't seen any likely entrants yet.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 11:43 pm
sunshinesarah

Originally Posted by fraser
Yep they're running a competition where we live, I saw it in the local rag.

Haven't seen any likely entrants yet.

Well, you have to be in it to win it! When in Rome and all that....
Old Nov 18th 2005, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Ho ho ho and a bottle of
I do agree that Sept/Oct is too early but i am due to arrive on the sunshine coast the day b4 New Year and i will REALLY miss Christmas in UK next year. I like a bit of build up(as its all over so damned quickly) but most of all i like to realise it IS Christamas. Couple of years ago spent Xmas Day on the Gold Coast and you wouldnt have known that it was any different to the other 364
Old Nov 18th 2005, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Ho ho ho and a bottle of
Sounds great Sarah hoping to be on the beach next Christmas now.Thought we would be there by now but the house is not selling.
I may as well enjoy the last British Christmas and make the most of it.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

My second xmas here in Perth and love the fact that its so laid back.

Had no stress at all this year or last.

Have mates coming over on xmas day and the future mother in law is arriving from Scotland to spend xmas with us.

Really looking forward to having laid back barbie with lots of drinks to celebrate and swimmingin the pool.

My other half informed me this evening that according to the weather experts we are going to be 43 degrees on xmas day.

Christ its going to be very very hot.

Future mother in law arrives 16th Dec for 3 weeks and we are taking her to Quay west resort Bunker Bay on 3rd Jan for 3 days telling her that its a wee weekend away for her before she leaves to fly back to Scotland.

The truth is we are getting married on the 4th Jan and we will tell her on the day after breakfast that she had better get her best frock or bikini on as we are off to the beach at mid day to wed.

Mags
Old Nov 18th 2005, 5:33 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by desperate2go
I do agree that Sept/Oct is too early but i am due to arrive on the sunshine coast the day b4 New Year and i will REALLY miss Christmas in UK next year. I like a bit of build up(as its all over so damned quickly) but most of all i like to realise it IS Christamas. Couple of years ago spent Xmas Day on the Gold Coast and you wouldnt have known that it was any different to the other 364
Bliss!!!
Old Nov 18th 2005, 6:08 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I miss my Aussie Christmas's although I like my cold English ones. I miss about the Aussie ones...

-being surrounded by family (well the ones who live there)
-English breakfast cooked on the BBQ with Champagne and Orange
-the 'lucky dip' presents. A friend of the family always wraps lucky dips and something they are a little naughty!!
-the cheesy christmas tunes played on the stereo and the noise of the Australian wildlife as we sit outside enjoying the heat
-the way it is light at 5am!

In England, I like

-Turning the heater on in the morning and seeing the condensation on the window
-Making a cuppa before sitting in front of the heater to open pressies
-cold evenings, seeing ppl's tree's through their windows
-Starbucks 'gingerbread' lattes on cold Sunday's
-Turkey roasting and the smell! The kitchen all warm n toasty
-Christmas specials on the telly
-M&S YUMMMM their Christmas brochure looks scrummy!

Susan
Old Nov 18th 2005, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Awww Maggy that's fantastic, sounds gorgeous! Hope it goes to plan & you have a lovely day, sounds perfect!
Loopy
Old Nov 19th 2005, 10:18 am
sunshinesarah

Good on you Maggie - have a FAB wedding day.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 10:21 am
sunshinesarah

Well good on you for getting right into the English Xmas.
Not that I'm missing them but just out of curiosity, what tv 'specials' are they showing this year?

Have you endured our Queenie's speech yet?
Old Nov 19th 2005, 10:25 am
sunshinesarah

Hang on in there Dreamaway. We have friends in Bingham who only got 2 viewings in so many months and were panicking that they would not be able to sell before arriving. They reduced their price by 5k and it sold within a few weeks. They are arriving here 5th Dec.

We lived in Bottesford prior to coming here - loved Bottesford. People keep telling us how much Nottingham has gone down hill though in a year. Real shame. I'm a Londoner but fell in love with Nottingham in the 3 years I was there. Where are you?
Old Nov 19th 2005, 10:52 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

How lovely, wish I could be there to see her face

Originally Posted by maggy
My second xmas here in Perth and love the fact that its so laid back.

Had no stress at all this year or last.

Have mates coming over on xmas day and the future mother in law is arriving from Scotland to spend xmas with us.

Really looking forward to having laid back barbie with lots of drinks to celebrate and swimmingin the pool.

My other half informed me this evening that according to the weather experts we are going to be 43 degrees on xmas day.

Christ its going to be very very hot.

Future mother in law arrives 16th Dec for 3 weeks and we are taking her to Quay west resort Bunker Bay on 3rd Jan for 3 days telling her that its a wee weekend away for her before she leaves to fly back to Scotland.

The truth is we are getting married on the 4th Jan and we will tell her on the day after breakfast that she had better get her best frock or bikini on as we are off to the beach at mid day to wed.

Mags

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.