Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Countdown to take-off ... 5 days to go!

Countdown to take-off ... 5 days to go!

Old Feb 8th 2005, 3:08 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Countdown to take-off ... 5 days to go!

Hi all,

Bored out me 'ead at work, so I thought I'd share news from the GG household.

I expect you're all fed up of reading about how my shipping went, so I'll not dwell on that. Except to say that PSS came on Monday, 31 January and expertly took away the contents of our home. Mr GG and I moved into a local pub that evening and stayed there, working during the day as normal, until Wednesday.

Then on Thursday, we loaded up the car (again!) with all four suitcases (all of which are very badly packed at the moment, so I can find nothing. Must reorganise at some point.) and headed back north for the final goodbyes. Thursday night was spent in Bolton saying goodbye to friends, Friday night was my Mum and Step-Dad. Saturday daytime was my niece and nephew (2 and 4 respectively. Us: 'We're off to Australia now.' Them: Bye then ... - while sat completely engrossed in Hungry Hippos. Different priorities at that age obviously!). Saturday night was my Dad, Step-Mum, brothers and sister and Sunday was Patrick's Mum, Dad and brother. We were planning on staying up north on Monday night too, but it was such an exhausting experience, we booked a random hotel back in Oxford for last night and came home early. The car journey back to Oxford was quiet, both of us thinking that 'this is it, we'll not see them all for ages now'. But by the time we'd got back down south and started doing some practical stuff again (getting rent references from landlords, couple of address changes, picking up our tickets!!!), we were both in a much more positive frame of mind.

Today we move back to the pub until Thursday night. We're selling the car today too, so as of this evening I am keyless! Work continues until Friday and I'm really liking the normality and routine of that. Means that I can focus on the everyday, rather than the unknown void I'm about to leap into and start to worry. On Friday evening we're heading to a hotel at Heathrow airport. We're meeting friends there for drinks (lots and lots!!) and Saturday will be spent with a hangover. Then on Sunday it's off for some plane spotting and a good bit of British queuing at the airport. Wooooo hoooooo!!! Bring it on!

We've both agreed that we're so pleased we planned it this way. We can now focus on the positives and the future and get into the right frame of mind, rather than be worried about everyone else. Although, it's not an approach that's going to work for everyone. The goodbyes were tiring. But there were some good laughs and the majority of people's responses have been 'aren't you brave'; no envy or bitterness or negativity, just genuine best wishes, for which I am both eternally lucky and grateful.

It's all getting very close and very exciting, and I just needed to let someone else know, because I can't help but sit and grin moronically!

Think that's about it. And apologies for the stoopid length of this post!

Nichola
Old Feb 8th 2005, 3:20 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Countdown to take-off ... 5 days to go!

Show off

Good luck
Old Feb 8th 2005, 3:23 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I know! Just at the moment could happily shout it from the roof, so this way I at least maintain (some) dignity!

Cheers

Originally Posted by fraser
Show off

Good luck
Old Feb 8th 2005, 3:37 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I know! Just at the moment could happily shout it from the roof, so this way I at least maintain (some) dignity!

Cheers
Yep I think I'll be unbarably smug if I ever get that damn visa
Old Feb 8th 2005, 3:41 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck and enjoy those airport queues! BTW thanks for your shipping thread, because you did all my research for me, so that my research consisted of reading your thread. Cheers!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:24 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy your flight and good luck !!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:46 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooh so exciting!

How civilised. No tearful people at the airport, all goodbyes done - nice one. Look forward to the posts from the upsidedown land.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

You must be so excited. Good luck, best wishes, all the best etc etc
Hope it all goes smoothly and keep us posted
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:44 pm
Anna

Peanuts100 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I expect you're all fed up of reading about how my shipping went, so I'll not dwell on that. Except to say that PSS came on Monday, 31 January and expertly took away the contents of our home. Mr GG and I moved into a local pub that evening and stayed there, working during the day as normal, until Wednesday.

Then on Thursday, we loaded up the car (again!) with all four suitcases (all of which are very badly packed at the moment, so I can find nothing. Must reorganise at some point.) and headed back north for the final goodbyes. Thursday night was spent in Bolton saying goodbye to friends, Friday night was my Mum and Step-Dad. Saturday daytime was my niece and nephew (2 and 4 respectively. Us: 'We're off to Australia now.' Them: Bye then ... - while sat completely engrossed in Hungry Hippos. Different priorities at that age obviously!). Saturday night was my Dad, Step-Mum, brothers and sister and Sunday was Patrick's Mum, Dad and brother. We were planning on staying up north on Monday night too, but it was such an exhausting experience, we booked a random hotel back in Oxford for last night and came home early. The car journey back to Oxford was quiet, both of us thinking that 'this is it, we'll not see them all for ages now'. But by the time we'd got back down south and started doing some practical stuff again (getting rent references from landlords, couple of address changes, picking up our tickets!!!), we were both in a much more positive frame of mind.

Today we move back to the pub until Thursday night. We're selling the car today too, so as of this evening I am keyless! Work continues until Friday and I'm really liking the normality and routine of that. Means that I can focus on the everyday, rather than the unknown void I'm about to leap into and start to worry. On Friday evening we're heading to a hotel at Heathrow airport. We're meeting friends there for drinks (lots and lots!!) and Saturday will be spent with a hangover. Then on Sunday it's off for some plane spotting and a good bit of British queuing at the airport. Wooooo hoooooo!!! Bring it on!

We've both agreed that we're so pleased we planned it this way. We can now focus on the positives and the future and get into the right frame of mind, rather than be worried about everyone else. Although, it's not an approach that's going to work for everyone. The goodbyes were tiring. But there were some good laughs and the majority of people's responses have been 'aren't you brave'; no envy or bitterness or negativity, just genuine best wishes, for which I am both eternally lucky and grateful.

It's all getting very close and very exciting, and I just needed to let someone else know, because I can't help but sit and grin moronically!

Nichola
Hi Matey,

I can't belive you only have 5 days to go! Si and I have 3 weeks and even now I am sh*$*ing myself!
Have a great time in America, and see you in Sydney xxx
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

wishing you all the best in the adventure that lays ahead, goodluck
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:41 pm
Merlot

Best of luck with the move.

Merlot

Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

aussiesoon will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your post - we are hoping to fly around 20th March and I know that I will have some v.upset family members, so it's interesting to see how you've done it. Like you we're encouraging people not to come to the airport - we really want to focus on the future and say our goodbyes in private. We are also thinking of booking into a Heathrow hotel the night before, mainly so that we don't have to negotiate the M25 with a deadline. Last time we were so paranoid about arriving on time, we arrived 4 hours before check-in opened. There really isn't a lot to do in Heathrow airport at 2am!

Anyway thanks for sharing. Have a great flight and wonderful start.

Rachel.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:37 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Hiya,

I was like you in the weeks before the move, but the closer it gets I'm getting less nervous and more excited!

Hope that the final stages are comng along OK - and that the tax thing's sorted now!

It will be great to meet up again on the other side, so I'll send you a PM when we're over there.

And thank you to everyone else for your responses too.

GG

Originally Posted by Peanuts100
Hi Matey,

I can't belive you only have 5 days to go! Si and I have 3 weeks and even now I am sh*$*ing myself!
Have a great time in America, and see you in Sydney xxx
Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:43 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

all the best!! I am excitied for you.... the scenic route to Australia will be fab.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Amanda5 will become famous soon enoughAmanda5 will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: Countdown to take-off ... 5 days to go!

Hi all,

Nichola
Good luck for your new adventure!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.