British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Council Tax on Properties? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/council-tax-properties-686754/)

AndrewMarilyn Sep 24th 2010 12:08 pm

Council Tax on Properties?

Just trying to establish any hidden costs associated with renting a property.

Is there an equivalent to the UK Council Tax, that we need to consider, or is that covered by Income tax?

Thanks

Wendy Sep 24th 2010 12:16 pm

Re: Council Tax on Properties?

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn (Post 8872714)
Just trying to establish any hidden costs associated with renting a property.

Is there an equivalent to the UK Council Tax, that we need to consider, or is that covered by Income tax?

Thanks

Landlords have to pay Rates here, not the tenant. If you were buying, then you'd have to pay them. :)

bcworld Sep 24th 2010 12:16 pm

Rates.

However you don't pay them as a tenant - the landlord does.

bcworld Sep 24th 2010 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 8872735)
Landlords have to pay Rates here, not the tenant. If you were buying, then you'd have to pay them. :)

Wot she said. :D

Wendy Sep 24th 2010 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 8872742)
Wot she said. :D

Snap :D

bcworld Sep 24th 2010 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 8872746)
Snap :D

:lol: hey you edited your post....or did I imagine that! :unsure:

AndrewMarilyn Sep 24th 2010 12:20 pm

Thanks guys..........simples!

Lisa and Martin Sep 30th 2010 3:32 am

Landlord also pays part of water bill - the fixed charge water service and sewerage fee. You only pay the variable metered amount as a tenant.

fish.01 Sep 30th 2010 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Lisa and Martin (Post 8886007)
Landlord also pays part of water bill - the fixed charge water service and sewerage fee. You only pay the variable metered amount as a tenant.

Can only be charged for water if water saving devices fitted I think...in qld anyway?

Lisa and Martin Sep 30th 2010 9:18 am

Oops, you may well be right, I forgot this country operates on a state-by state basis for some things. The OP is moving to Sydney so my comment would apply to him. Everyone else - please take under advisement!

Mochinbach Feb 9th 2011 9:21 pm

Can anyone tell me what they're paying for council tax / rates? Wendy, an Adelaidian perspective would be good :):p

Scotty1 Feb 9th 2011 9:42 pm

new law in NSW from 1st Feb that you can only be charged for water usage if water efficient taps and showerheads installed

Suspect not everyone will comply with this one

Scotty

AlliF Feb 9th 2011 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Scotty1 (Post 9165279)
new law in NSW from 1st Feb that you can only be charged for water usage if water efficient taps and showerheads installed

Suspect not everyone will comply with this one

Scotty

I'm in Vic so dont know when/if this will be coming in there, but am i interpreting that correctly? :confused:
Does it not seem a bit strange that you do everything they(govt) ask to save water then you are the ones that get charged for it and those that are wasting water get it for nothing?
Surely that is the wrong way round! Not exactly a great incentive to be environmentally friendly is it?
And how on earth are they going to monitor it?!:confused:

fish.01 Feb 9th 2011 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by scotdownunder (Post 9165311)
I'm in Vic so dont know when/if this will be coming in there, but am i interpreting that correctly? :confused:
Does it not seem a bit strange that you do everything they(govt) ask to save water then you are the ones that get charged for it and those that are wasting water get it for nothing?
Surely that is the wrong way round! Not exactly a great incentive to be environmentally friendly is it?
And how on earth are they going to monitor it?!:confused:

if the landlord installs water saving devices they can pass the excess water charge on to the tenants.

if the landlord does not fit water saving devices they have to pay all the water charges themselves.

AlliF Feb 9th 2011 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by fish.01 (Post 9165348)
if the landlord installs water saving devices they can pass the excess water charge on to the tenants.

if the landlord does not fit water saving devices they have to pay all the water charges themselves.

Ah, ok that makes a (little) bit more sense. We own (or should I say the bank owns ;))so wouldn't make any difference to us in that case.

Still as scotty1 says that system would seem to be a bit open to abuse by some unscrupulous landlords if it's not monitored.:sneaky: