British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Council rates in Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/council-rates-australia-278299/)

ABCDiamond Jan 18th 2005 6:43 am

Council rates in Australia

Council rates

I've just received my Rates bill in for the next quarter, so I thought I'd share the info (i'll share the bill as well if I get any takers :D )

Total Rates for the Quarter, here in Redlandshire QLD, is $452.73

The breakdown is:
General rate $184.49
Environmental charge $ 15.00
Landfill charge $3.00
State Government Fire Levy $32.20

Water Access Charge $ 43.35
Water consumption $49.69 (1,075 litres per day average)
Sewerage $ 109.06
Waste/Recycling service $ 43.75

less discount for early payment -$27.91

Rates are calculated on the size of land you have, and the location, NOT on the house size etc.

Gjn200 Jan 18th 2005 7:00 am

Re: Council rates in Australia

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Council rates

I've just received my Rates bill in for the next quarter, so I thought I'd share the info (i'll share the bill as well if I get any takers :D )

Total Rates for the Quarter, here in Redlandshire QLD, is $452.73

The breakdown is:
General rate $184.49
Environmental charge $ 15.00
Landfill charge $3.00
State Government Fire Levy $32.20

Water Access Charge $ 43.35
Water consumption $49.69 (1,075 litres per day average)
Sewerage $ 109.06
Waste/Recycling service $ 43.75

less discount for early payment -$27.91

Rates are calculated on the size of land you have, and the location, NOT on the house size etc.

Good! Despite all the 'its too expensive here' threads that works out cheaper than the UK ( unless you live in a shoe box:))

MrsDagboy Jan 18th 2005 7:04 am

I just got mine as well, I was shocked to see it was $529 for the quarter which I thought was quite high compared to Brisbane City Council which would be around the $450 mark.

But then I looked a bit closer at the breakdown & found that they have charged $61 for tranfer of ownership fee :rolleyes: , so if you take that off its about the price I expected afterall :) .

ABCDiamond Jan 18th 2005 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Good! Despite all the 'its too expensive here' threads that works out cheaper than the UK ( unless you live in a shoe box:))

This particular land size is 738sqm. The house size doesn't affect the cost.

For a land size of 706sm, the total Quarterly cost is $431.07

MrsDagboy Jan 18th 2005 7:58 am

I just worked out ours (less the $61) is $435 if paid by the due date for a 668sqm block.

cresta57 Jan 18th 2005 8:11 am

Ours are $498.24 per year including £20 fire levy and $50 waste levy that's for 2.25 ha. Ooooer madam, it is the back of Hicksville though :eek:

ABCDiamond Jan 18th 2005 8:26 am

Originally Posted by cresta57
Ours are $498.24 per year including £20 fire levy and $50 waste levy that's for 2.25 ha. Ooooer madam, it is the back of Hicksville though :eek:

What's that saying: "Location, Location, Location" and with it come the higher rates bills :D

2.25 ha does equal 5.5 acres doesn't it ? That's about 30 times the size of my land :D

bridiej Jan 18th 2005 9:30 am

I think I'm right in saying that in SA you get a rebate for taking your own waste to the tip - is that correct?

Also, do you get rebates if you have your own water supply?

cresta57 Jan 18th 2005 10:08 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
What's that saying: "Location, Location, Location" and with it come the higher rates bills :D

2.25 ha does equal 5.5 acres doesn't it ? That's about 30 times the size of my land :D

I love it here, Deb and I were sat outside last night after the storm and it was so quiet and peaceful, just the sound of the cicadas. I grew up in a very small village in rural Lincolnshire, lived in Grimsby after we were married and always hankered for the village lifestyle again. In 14 yrs I never really got used to the noise of people and traffic.
Guess you can take the boy out of the country but not the country out of the boy ;)

Pollyana Jan 18th 2005 10:18 am

Originally Posted by cresta57
I love it here, Deb and I were sat outside last night after the storm and it was so quiet and peaceful, just the sound of the cicadas. I grew up in a very small village in rural Lincolnshire, lived in Grimsby after we were married and always hankered for the village lifestyle again. In 14 yrs I never really got used to the noise of people and traffic.
Guess you can take the boy out of the country but not the country out of the boy ;)

Bet you wore shoes back in Lincolnshire though.......bit chillier on the tootsies there :D

OzTennis Jan 18th 2005 11:32 am

Rates on our place in Williamstown, Melbourne (Hobson's Bay Council) $1,245 for 2004/05. It is based on land size and a thing called, I think, capital improved value of the building. I would estimate that this is roughly under 0.2% of the property value. Council tax (in Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland, based on property value banding) £90 per month, £1,080 or $2,650 p.a (probably 1% of property value). Of course councils in the UK have a statutory duty to deliver more services than their Australian counterparts (often what the council does here, the state or federal govt does there).

OzTennis :)