Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Council entry to private property in Caboolture.

Council entry to private property in Caboolture.

Old Oct 22nd 2015, 10:57 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Council entry to private property in Caboolture.

I have a friend who had a Moreton Bay Regional Council employee/agent enter her yard without the person's knowledge. A complaint was then raised with the house occupier about the number of cats she has inside (which is another story, as their own online information and paperwork says she had under the legal amount)..... My question to those in the MBRC area is, do council employees/agents have the right to enter a closed yard without permission or notification? Has anyone had any experience with MBRC, or other, employees/agents entering their yard?
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 12:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Council entry to private property in Caboolture.

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I have a friend who had a Moreton Bay Regional Council employee/agent enter her yard without the person's knowledge. A complaint was then raised with the house occupier about the number of cats she has inside (which is another story, as their own online information and paperwork says she had under the legal amount)..... My question to those in the MBRC area is, do council employees/agents have the right to enter a closed yard without permission or notification? Has anyone had any experience with MBRC, or other, employees/agents entering their yard?
I'm pretty sure that council employees, as the enforcers of local bylaws, have the right to enter the front or back yard of a property without notification or permission. I'd hope that they wouldn't abuse this though, and make some effort to sort any issues out with the occupier via phone or letter, prior to taking such action.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 9:38 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

If one of the neighbours had complained to council about the number of cats and/or the conditions in which they may be being kept, then I suspect the council would have the right to investigate under the cruelty to animals act.

It would depend upon if and what allegations were made I guess. Hard to say without knowing the facts.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 10:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Surely if the police were investing a crime they would need a warrant to search a property unless they had reason to believe a crime was in progress or someone was in imminent danger of grievous harm or death. Doesn't the same standard apply to coucil inspectors?
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 12:57 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Surely if the police were investing a crime they would need a warrant to search a property unless they had reason to believe a crime was in progress or someone was in imminent danger of grievous harm or death. Doesn't the same standard apply to coucil inspectors?

Warrants aren't always necessary - sometimes 'Reasonable grounds to suspect that ' is all that's needed. But it very much depends on the offence and the powers of arrest and search attached to the offence.

I'm really not inclined to think that investigating the number of cats on a premises would come with any sort of power of entry.

S
Old Oct 24th 2015, 10:51 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuddyo
If one of the neighbours had complained to council about the number of cats and/or the conditions in which they may be being kept, then I suspect the council would have the right to investigate under the cruelty to animals act. It would depend upon if and what allegations were made I guess. Hard to say without knowing the facts.
They are house cats only.-not allowed out. Apparently Council were doing general blitz around town.Apparently if you can keep up to 6 cats depending on the size of the block. By my rough calculations, the number of cats were legal.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 9:09 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

They are house cats only.-not allowed out. Apparently Council were doing general blitz around town.Apparently if you can keep up to 6 cats depending on the size of the block. By my rough calculations, the number of cats were legal.
Surely the council would know how many cats your friend had by checking the licensing register?
Old Oct 25th 2015, 12:44 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Surely the council would know how many cats your friend had by checking the licensing register?
They may be living out of wedlock.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 2:01 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
They may be living out of wedlock.
Skanky cats!
Old Oct 25th 2015, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about council workers, but meter readers definitely can by state government legislation. So I would assume there will be a law for certain council workers to do the same. Electric meters used to be read by council employees.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Not sure about council workers, but meter readers definitely can by state government legislation. So I would assume there will be a law for certain council workers to do the same. Electric meters used to be read by council employees.
Not unless the gate is secured with a locking device, then meter-readers take an average reading. Her other concern was that she was told by neighbours that they were apparently going from window to window peering into the house.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Not unless the gate is secured with a locking device, then meter-readers take an average reading. Her other concern was that she was told by neighbours that they were apparently going from window to window peering into the house.
Are they sure it wasn't the RSPCA - they can enter any property if there are reports of animal neglect or cruelty. Maybe they were looking inside to see if there were any distressed animals.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Its against the law from a meter reading point of view at least, to have no access to your meter. They only act on it as a last resort. When I used to do the job (16 years from 1980 to 1996) I had heaps of private household keys, where we at the Gas and Fuel requested difficult to get to meters after say 6 carded readings. It's more used in a refused entry type situation.

It was covered under the gas act down here in Melbourne.

I would climb over gates in certain circumstances, especially if I hadn't been in somewhere for a year or more. I definitely used to go in with dogs if I felt like taking one on, as that added interest to a boring day. I did all of Broadmeadows on a regular basis for 16 years and had to go inside most of the wash houses around there. Got a lot of personal satisfaction out of going in with supposed savage dogs. Wimps most of them, in 90 pct of cases. Little/small dogs are far far more difficult to get to back down, I promise you.

Basically what I'm saying if the gate was locked we could still go in, by law. One thing I forgot to add..... If I did climb over, I would be making a lot of noise and calling out numerous times all the way "Gas and Fuellllll" very very loudly. That was to alert the owner or more specifically, let me know if there were new dogs around. It also alerted the neighbours I was in the street to unlock their gates.

Was the council worker calling out ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 26th 2015 at 2:54 am.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 11:05 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Puss, puss, puss.
Here kitty, kitty.