Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Could you save a life?

Could you save a life?

Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:03 pm
sula

Default Could you save a life?

I ask this question as a week ago my brother had a cardiac arrest in his local pub. If it wasn't for the brave and prompt resusitation that he was given by two people in the pub he wouldn't be alive today!

They kept him going for twenty mins until the ambulance arrived. The paramedics finally got a heart beat after using a defibrilator! Without the twenty minutes of CPR he would not have survived!

These people who saved his life had been trained in CPR but had never used it before! I am so thankful to them!

It has made me so aware of the need for all of us to have first aid training and regularly update our CPR skills.

One thing that I noticed when living in Oz is that first aid certificates are a prerequisite for many jobs, much more than in the UK.

I'm certainly going to be updating my first aid skills in the near future!

My brother is making a fantastic recovery and can't wait to thank his life savers in person!

Sula

Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:21 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could you save a life?

Originally Posted by sula
I ask this question as a week ago my brother had a cardiac arrest in his local pub. If it wasn't for the brave and prompt resusitation that he was given by two people in the pub he wouldn't be alive today!

They kept him going for twenty mins until the ambulance arrived. The paramedics finally got a heart beat after using a defibrilator! Without the twenty minutes of CPR he would not have survived!

These people who saved his life had been trained in CPR but had never used it before! I am so thankful to them!

It has made me so aware of the need for all of us to have first aid training and regularly update our CPR skills.

One thing that I noticed when living in Oz is that first aid certificates are a prerequisite for many jobs, much more than in the UK.

I'm certainly going to be updating my first aid skills in the near future!

My brother is making a fantastic recovery and can't wait to thank his life savers in person!

Sula
Hope your brother is ok now, funnily enough I did a week long first aid course through my work a couple of weeks ago. Spent the week practising on my family (bandaging, slings etc)I was so nervous though when it came to the exam at the end of the course that the only way I could remember the procedures on the ressussy annie was to sing it out loud as I did it!! Much to the amusement of the assessor and trainers. Seriously though I was lucky to be given the chance to do it through work and I felt it was an important skill to have because you just never know.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 11:31 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could you save a life?

Yes, I could save a life, have done 3 First Aid courses over the years, really should go & update again, since they only last a certain amount of time. But you do tend to remember most of it luckily. I have had to do resuss once, sadly the person died later.

Hope your brother recovers fully & remembers to go & do his own First Aid course in case hes the one on the other side of the fence .