Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

could we survive on 60,000 dollars a year

could we survive on 60,000 dollars a year

Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:16 pm
visa granted 6th August

stevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to all
Default Re: could we survive on 60,000 dollars a year

well i for one am glad that people are now saying that a family of 4 can manage ok on $60k i will be making $65k when we first arrive but my oh will be working after about 6 month once we are all settled schools rental etc.

steve
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:03 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Originally Posted by stevelaird
well i for one am glad that people are now saying that a family of 4 can manage ok on $60k i will be making $65k when we first arrive but my oh will be working after about 6 month once we are all settled schools rental etc.

steve
Bottom line is it depends why you;re moving (for lifestyle?) and how much mortgage or rent you'll be paying (i.e. how any capital you may have can help...) I'm moving from a £65k job to $66k job... (going back to the shop floor) but i'mhoping the bit of capital i'm taking will help, along with the fact that i wont be trying to spend £6k a year on holidays in Oz....

If you're going for better standard of living (finance then ????), if lifestyle then maybe ????.

Just my opinion. But - you have to be brave. I want something better so I'm prepared to take the cut and deal with it.....
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:04 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sniffydog
Bottom line is it depends why you;re moving (for lifestyle?) and how much mortgage or rent you'll be paying (i.e. how any capital you may have can help...) I'm moving from a £65k job to $66k job... (going back to the shop floor) but i'mhoping the bit of capital i'm taking will help, along with the fact that i wont be trying to spend £6k a year on holidays in Oz....

If you're going for better standard of living (finance then ????), if lifestyle then maybe ????.

Just my opinion. But - you have to be brave. I want something better so I'm prepared to take the cut and deal with it.....
P.S. sure i had four stars under my name ... how does that work?!!!
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stevelaird

steve
Might make you even more gladderer to hear that a family of seven can manage on <60k and no state assistance.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

FreezerGeezer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gobbledegeek
Might make you even more gladderer to hear that a family of seven can manage on <60k and no state assistance.
I do think a lot of it is down to what's oon offer, entertainment wise.

in Oz, we've really noticed the amount of outdoor activities for children especially - lots of sports clubs, lots of activities - and on the gold coast PT includes learning to surf! None of these cost much as far as I understand it (we don't have children yet so no direct experience.)
Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

flower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by diddy
Yes. you could.
? Not sure what the above meant. Please explain
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:55 pm
lisa

lisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nice

hi everyone, glad to here there are some people out there who can manage, still a lot to think about, got people from oh work emailing me now with the interest rate hike in oz, is there a voodoo doll out there with my name on:curse:the bottom lip is having a wobble again
Old Dec 21st 2008, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

survive on 60,000? are you the queen?
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:48 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisabarber
hi we are a family of five, with only me working, would we be niave to come to oz ( perth or brisbane ) with some equity,( approx 90,000 squid,) with only me working(nurse)Give it to me , the good the bad, and hopefully not ugly
FWIW I might as well give you my take on it.

I personally feel it will be tough. I don't know your circumstances such as will you need 2 cars e.t.c I think it is easy to work out in real terms as i often asked myself the same question before arriving.

If you earn $1200 dollars per week I presume you will take home around $1000 per week (I am self employed so only estimating). Generally in Perth rent is $400 per week and food is on average $250 - $300 although as discussed it can be cheaper.
Straight away that leaves $300 dollars per week for clothes, birthdays, social events,utility bills, the car repair bill, school fees, insurances the list goes on.If you have finance that is also an additonal monthly outgoing.

I am not trying to paint a grim picture and a lot of expats manage because they pay for a car outright and some bills outright that is why they survive on $1200 per week, like us they also trickle feed some expenses through their savings.

IMO very tough you need to earn more like $75000 per year.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 12:07 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
FWIW I might as well give you my take on it.

I personally feel it will be tough. I don't know your circumstances such as will you need 2 cars e.t.c I think it is easy to work out in real terms as i often asked myself the same question before arriving.

If you earn $1200 dollars per week I presume you will take home around $1000 per week (I am self employed so only estimating). Generally in Perth rent is $400 per week and food is on average $250 - $300 although as discussed it can be cheaper.
Straight away that leaves $300 dollars per week for clothes, birthdays, social events,utility bills, the car repair bill, school fees, insurances the list goes on.If you have finance that is also an additonal monthly outgoing.

I am not trying to paint a grim picture and a lot of expats manage because they pay for a car outright and some bills outright that is why they survive on $1200 per week, like us they also trickle feed some expenses through their savings.

IMO very tough you need to earn more like $75000 per year.
Well we don't earn much more than $60000 (if that) and manage OK (family of four)
Old Dec 21st 2008, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

loll is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to cairns, I'm a single parent with 2 children aged 12 and 11 going out on a 457 visa. I'll be earning about 48000, do you think I'll manage on that? We are hoping to live near where I'll be working so won't need a car straight away. Will have to manage coz we are def going
Old Dec 21st 2008, 9:21 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by loll
I'm going to cairns, I'm a single parent with 2 children aged 12 and 11 going out on a 457 visa. I'll be earning about 48000, do you think I'll manage on that? We are hoping to live near where I'll be working so won't need a car straight away. Will have to manage coz we are def going
If your a nurse at the base hospital then set up salary packaging as soon as you get there and start paying rent ( I was slow to get it up and running but definately better off!!) push them for PR sponsorship ASAP, at the base hospital they say you do 3 month probabtion but because the nominations take so long they often start the ball rolling as soon as the nurses arrive.
Ask about LAFHA.
Remember to claim the 2 weeks accommodation and relocation costs..every little bit helps.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 9:35 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

it looks like you've got all the appropriate figures - maybe stick them in a budget planner? http://www.understandingmoney.gov.au...Tools/Planner/ may be helpful.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
Well we don't earn much more than $60000 (if that) and manage OK (family of four)
Hi there.

Yes you can manage and I think when people ask the question on salaries it all depends on an individuals situation, how many cars, how much equity they are coming with e.t.c it really is very individual.

I know someone here who works 3 days a week and lives fine on much less than $60000 because he bought outright a few years ago so no good comparing peoples money needs. I personally find it a sruggle on $60000 but my need may be different
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Well we have managed on 55k for the last 4 years and only managed to drag 40k UK over with us.
Bought the 2nd hand car outright as soon as we got here (still going strong), paid 12 months rental up front to secure a property....splashed out on a new motorbike and put the rest down as the deposit on the house after 12 months.
Yes it has been a struggle but we coped, with only 1 month where for the week before payday, we were really broke - as in not a cent to our name !
The wife has been working as a "casual" ( the only way Aus retail seems to know how to operate) and finally obtained full time employment this year and me getting bumped up to 64K this week has eased the burden considerably...........The only advice I can give is to "cut your coat according to your cloth"

Last edited by Rossi; Dec 22nd 2008 at 10:59 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.