Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Could this be my first Huntsman?

Wikiposts

Could this be my first Huntsman?

Old Jun 13th 2005, 2:05 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could this be my first Huntsman?

Sorry for scaring the shit out of some of you with that pic!!:scared:

If it makes anyone feel better, I've been in Oz over 2 years now, & I've only ever seen one baby Huntsman, & that was out in the middle of nowhere.
I've never actually seen one inside a house.

Another strange thing is that even though the Funnelweb is Australia's deadliest spider, it's harmless to cats & dogs!!
For some reason its venom is particularly lethal to primates, (ie, us), and nobody knows why!
In evolutionary terms, Australia has no native primates so there is no reason why Funnelweb venom is so dangerous to humans!
Old Jun 13th 2005, 2:07 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
I saw my first redback tonight - then I saw my first squashed redback - fortunately I was not at home.

I've been told that the huntsman keeps the redbacks away which is why I just catch them and put them outside. I don't know if this is true or not, but as someone who used to hate spiders in the UK, I've got used to them very quickly. They are really easy to catch, with a glass and postcard, unlike the Wolf spider which has obviously got better eyesight and can easily outmanoeuvre a slow moving glass.

Regards
Alistair
Is there any point in putting them outside? Are they like Uk house spiders which just come straight back in again?

Must admit, I am NOT a spider fan BUT I've been pretty good lately - got a massive house spider living in our patio doors and I've gone quite close to it.

It's the snakes that worry me... :scared:
Old Jun 13th 2005, 2:40 am
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Is there any point in putting them outside? Are they like Uk house spiders which just come straight back in again?

Must admit, I am NOT a spider fan BUT I've been pretty good lately - got a massive house spider living in our patio doors and I've gone quite close to it.

It's the snakes that worry me... :scared:

OMG don't start them all off on snakes :scared:
Old Jun 13th 2005, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Rumble Tumble
OMG don't start them all off on snakes :scared:
Oh yes, sorry.....
Old Jun 13th 2005, 2:43 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any point in putting them outside?
Have you every arm-wrestled a fully grown huntsman because he doesn't want to leave :scared: ....case closed

Seriously though, normally if we have a large-ish spider I tend to have to kill it or suck it up the hoover, I can't bear the thought of putting it outside because it could crawl back in again!!! But, a huntsman is a different matter. Because of their size, and because you can't squish them, my game plan is to get someone else to collect it, then catapult it as far away from our house as possible. That, or chuck it in nextdoors garden

D D
Old Jun 13th 2005, 2:47 am

I used to kill spiders but I just dont have the heart any more (must be going soft in my old age!) although sometimes the cat eats them - wish she wouldnt leave the legs lying around though!

Bit like all the body-less mouse heads staring up at me from the lawn!!
Old Jun 13th 2005, 2:51 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to kill spiders but I just dont have the heart any more (must be going soft in my old age!) although sometimes the cat eats them - wish she wouldnt leave the legs lying around though!

I love spiders.

In fact, I insist that my first house in Aus has a population of spiders to keep the roaches down. I'll sue the landlord if it doesn't!
Old Jun 13th 2005, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I love spiders.

In fact, I insist that my first house in Aus has a population of spiders to keep the roaches down. I'll sue the landlord if it doesn't!
I thought spiders were meant to be lucky, and that you get bad luck if you kill one?

Or is that just what the Spider Preservation Society would like us to believe?
Old Jun 13th 2005, 2:57 am
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

I used to have a cat who left the internal organs on the door mat from the mice it had eaten!! ...aparently it's supposed to be some sort of present???? :scared: ...maybe the cat thought he'd leave the best bit for me???
Old Jun 13th 2005, 2:59 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought spiders were meant to be lucky, and that you get bad luck if you kill one?

Or is that just what the Spider Preservation Society would like us to believe?
I think Fraser uses this excuse to avoid anyone squashing him!
Old Jun 13th 2005, 3:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by GrantP
I used to have a cat who left the internal organs on the door mat from the mice it had eaten!! ...aparently it's supposed to be some sort of present???? :scared: ...maybe the cat thought he'd leave the best bit for me???
Mmmm.....internal mouse organs.....
Old Jun 13th 2005, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by GrantP

Our youngest cat is selfish, she just eats them and leaves the heads lying round the garden....

Holly used to bring me them as pressies, unfortunately normally alive. Scariest one was the live mink! :scared:
Old Jun 13th 2005, 3:01 am

I think Fraser uses this excuse to avoid anyone squashing him!

I think you're right!!!!!

Tell you what, at the meet you hold him down and I'll squash him under my nearly 13 stone of weight!! LOL!
Old Jun 13th 2005, 3:02 am
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

Our youngest cat is selfish, she just eats them and leaves the heads lying round the garden....

Holly used to bring me them as pressies, unfortunately normally alive. Scariest one was the live mink! :scared:
A live mink???? .....holy crap!!
Old Jun 13th 2005, 3:03 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

I love spiders.

You're a sick, sick man Tony!!

D D

BTW if we're heading for the same area, wanna be my neighbour??? You can be my huntsmanator (like Arnie....but without the missile-guided bazooka please)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.