Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Could Mum come too?

Wikiposts

Could Mum come too?

Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:10 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could Mum come too?

Originally Posted by Flossybean
Hi Steandleigh,

Another quick point to add to the original post, If we were to apply for a parent contributory visa for my mum after being PR for 2 yrs as is the requirement, is there any way that mum would be able to come over sooner and work as a midwife, would she be able to get say temporary employer sponsorship or would her age (52) make that difficult, she would be too young to get a retirement visa yet

Thanks everyone for all your help in this I'm feeling much more positive about all this now

Flossybean
Flossybean

Your mother would probably get a temporary employer sponsored visa very easily. If she is registered in the state you want to live then she should have no problem finding a sponsor as a nurse.
She may need to leave the country for a short while to have her PR visa granted when you have applied for it but a temp. visa will be no problem. She will have to accept the conditions of a Temp. visa in the meantime.
If you can not find the relevant information then a talk with an agent may help.

Good luck

G
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Hi Flossybean,

thanks for that. Will certainly be looking into it soon and certainly with more ferver when we have citizenship.

Is the assurers bond refundable after a certain length of time, just like the bond some skilled Inds have to put up for the extra points?

Good luck to you and yours. x
Hi Leigh
We seem like old timers now don't we
You only have to have PR for two years and be able to provide tax records to be an assurer (and sponsor).
The bond is repayable after 10 years provided there have been no 'recoverable' benefit claims against it. If there are then you would also be liable (as assurer) for any additional charges beyond the initial bond.
Medicare is a right and not recoverable.Work rights are also part of the visa.
This is as I understand it.
Hope this helps

Best wishes

G
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Hi Leigh
We seem like old timers now don't we
You only have to have PR for two years and be able to provide tax records to be an assurer (and sponsor).
The bond is repayable after 10 years provided there have been no 'recoverable' benefit claims against it. If there are then you would also be liable (as assurer) for any additional charges beyond the initial bond.
Medicare is a right and not recoverable.Work rights are also part of the visa.
This is as I understand it.
Hope this helps

Best wishes

G
Hi Cahal!

Yep, I know what you mean about the old timers!

I am aware that we only have to have PR for 2 yrs, but our intention is to have citizenship as soon as we can.

Thanks for the rest of the info, appreciate it.

Best wishes,

p.s, are you any closer to making a decision?

The tooeys old isn't too bad y'know!
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:43 am
Bitter and twisted

Hi Cahal!

p.s, are you any closer to making a decision?

The tooeys old isn't too bad y'know!
Leigh

Why do you always ask me that when I've just got back from the pub

Getting there I think

I've forgotten when you are going. You are sorted aren't you?

Best wishes

G
Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Leigh

Why do you always ask me that when I've just got back from the pub

Getting there I think

I've forgotten when you are going. You are sorted aren't you?

Best wishes

G
Hi cahal,

yes, we are sorted. we go in 3 wks, have a months hotel at The Lakes spa and Resort ( Ooh, get her!!! - very nice, but we feel we deserve a treat before we settle back to reality - we stopped there last year and the kids know it, so a little famililarity won't go amiss ).

House sold ages ago ( well, feels like it - 13 wks really, been at m-i-l's since, bless her ), money exchanged, shippers been, everything tied up, just waiting to go.

Just the skip / car to sell, hanging on to it 'til we go tho' and thats us.

Ready to make the move and settle in now, feels like its been a lifetime, even tho' it hasn't.

How 'bout you guys?

Best wishes, x
Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:39 pm
Bitter and twisted

Hi cahal,

yes, we are sorted. we go in 3 wks, have a months hotel at The Lakes spa and Resort ( Ooh, get her!!! - very nice, but we feel we deserve a treat before we settle back to reality - we stopped there last year and the kids know it, so a little famililarity won't go amiss ).

House sold ages ago ( well, feels like it - 13 wks really, been at m-i-l's since, bless her ), money exchanged, shippers been, everything tied up, just waiting to go.

Just the skip / car to sell, hanging on to it 'til we go tho' and thats us.

Ready to make the move and settle in now, feels like its been a lifetime, even tho' it hasn't.

How 'bout you guys?

Best wishes, x
Have a great time

Looks like Central NSW for us but have a lot of stuff to clear up here first so not sure when.
Hopefully not too long but house to sell :scared: etc.

Best wishes

Cahal
Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Have a great time

Looks like Central NSW for us but have a lot of stuff to clear up here first so not sure when.
Hopefully not too long but house to sell :scared: etc.

Best wishes

Cahal

good for you both,

hope everything is as you wish it to be. x
Old Aug 10th 2004, 8:21 pm

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It sounds like you've not looked into the Contributory Parent visa option, which is a *permanent* visa for parents. It has only been in existence since 1 July 2003.

I'd go back to the DIMIA site and take a look - there are rules to be observed, but it's the most accessible way to get PR and citizenship for parents.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy

We have yet to apply, however the migration company who we have been in touch with has looked into the contributory parent visa for us. We have been told that due to step family circumstances this wouldnt be an option for us. My step father has 3 children and 2 grandchildren. Does this sound right to you

Donna
Old Aug 11th 2004, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Location: Last of the Summer Wine country...Soon to be Melbourne
Flossybean is an unknown quantity at this point

Flossybean

Your mother would probably get a temporary employer sponsored visa very easily. If she is registered in the state you want to live then she should have no problem finding a sponsor as a nurse.
She may need to leave the country for a short while to have her PR visa granted when you have applied for it but a temp. visa will be no problem. She will have to accept the conditions of a Temp. visa in the meantime.
If you can not find the relevant information then a talk with an agent may help.

Good luck

G
Grayling,

Really appreciate all your advice about this visa , found one of your earlier posts RE: Parent Contributory visa which has answered a lot of my nagging doubts!

At least now I can let my Mum know that she has options to join us rather than that we are saying bye forever.

You are a star Thank you!

Flossybean
Old Aug 11th 2004, 11:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DIMO8
Hi Jeremy

We have yet to apply, however the migration company who we have been in touch with has looked into the contributory parent visa for us. We have been told that due to step family circumstances this wouldnt be an option for us. My step father has 3 children and 2 grandchildren. Does this sound right to you

Donna
Grandchildren are not relevant for the purposes of balance of family.

The law concerning stepchildren as they relate to balance of family test can be murky, but in general the children of the applicant's spouse *are* counted.

And with 3 children counted, you need at least 2 in Australia as citizens, PRs, eligible NZ citizens, before the balance of family is met.

Jeremy