Reload this Page >

Could Mum come too?

Could Mum come too?

Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Location: Last of the Summer Wine country...Soon to be Melbourne
Flossybean is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Could Mum come too?

Hello to all you wise people out there, I wonder if anyone can help with my (latest) dilemma.

Some background first...

We are in the process of applying for a 457 (employer sponsored visa). My husband has been offered an inter-company transfer to Melbourne and the company need him there pretty quickly. We have been assured that we will also be sponsored for PR by the company. Follwing advice on the forum we are trying to get this written into his contract before he signs it at the end of this month, to be sure they don't backtrack on this agreement.Things are moving pretty quickly, we are at the stage of getting medicals on Friday.

The main problem however,as I'm sure it is with a lot of people is leaving my Mum behind.

I'm really close to my Mum, she only lives 10 minutes away and we see her regularly, especially since she got divorced from my dad 8 yrs ago, she lives on her own.

I'm her only daughter, although I do have a Brother (28) he is not married or attached to anyone at the moment and is busy living the single life, so I feel quite responsible for her.

I also have a six year old son who is her only grandchild, she adores him and he adores her too!

Mum is 52, too young for retirement yet, and is just about to refresh to go back to work as a Midwife something she gave up years ago, this would put her on the skills in demand list but I don't know if this would help, or if her age would go against her.

I would really like for my Mum to come over too, and would like to know what (if any) her options are.

I would really appreciate any advice as I am getting really stressed about leaving her, and knowing if it is really feasible for her to come or not could make the difference as to whether we make the leap too

Thanks in advance for any help
Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:26 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Could Mum come too?

Hi Fossybean,

We have the same dilema, my mother-in-law also lives alone and is a very close part of our family. I have be told by an agent that she has two options either to retire out there, in order to do so she must have assets of £367,000
or the other option is for us to go first and become residents, so we can sponser her. Maybe you should seek the advice of a few different agents!

Sorry I could'nt be more positive!

Good Luck!
Carruss
Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carruss
or the other option is for us to go first and become residents, so we can sponser her. Maybe you should seek the advice of a few different agents!

Sorry I could'nt be more positive!

Good Luck!
Carruss
I think you must be a citizen to sponsor a relative for permanent migration...(could be wrong but pretty sure you need more than PR to sponsor)..in which case you'd need to get your citizenship to sponsor your mum. I'm sure JAJ can clarify this...or ask on the Immigration forum.

good luck
HP
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
I think you must be a citizen to sponsor a relative for permanent migration...(could be wrong but pretty sure you need more than PR to sponsor)..in which case you'd need to get your citizenship to sponsor your mum. I'm sure JAJ can clarify this...or ask on the Immigration forum.

good luck
HP
Hi HP,

Thanks for the advice, have posted on the immigration site now too

Flossybean
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:37 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw

good luck
HP
Hi
You do not need to be a citizen to sponsor but you generally need to be PR for two years.

The most realistic way for your mother would be a contributory parent visa. She is too old for other migration except under very exceptional circumstances.
She may get a temporary sponsored visa as a nurse.

To get a parent visa she would need to pass the 'Balance of Family' test and health requirements plus pay the Contributions and have an assurer for 10 years.

Good luck

G
Old Aug 10th 2004, 6:44 pm

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossybean
Hello to all you wise people out there, I wonder if anyone can help with my (latest) dilemma.

Some background first...

We are in the process of applying for a 457 (employer sponsored visa). My husband has been offered an inter-company transfer to Melbourne and the company need him there pretty quickly. We have been assured that we will also be sponsored for PR by the company. Follwing advice on the forum we are trying to get this written into his contract before he signs it at the end of this month, to be sure they don't backtrack on this agreement.Things are moving pretty quickly, we are at the stage of getting medicals on Friday.

The main problem however,as I'm sure it is with a lot of people is leaving my Mum behind.

I'm really close to my Mum, she only lives 10 minutes away and we see her regularly, especially since she got divorced from my dad 8 yrs ago, she lives on her own.

I'm her only daughter, although I do have a Brother (28) he is not married or attached to anyone at the moment and is busy living the single life, so I feel quite responsible for her.

I also have a six year old son who is her only grandchild, she adores him and he adores her too!

Mum is 52, too young for retirement yet, and is just about to refresh to go back to work as a Midwife something she gave up years ago, this would put her on the skills in demand list but I don't know if this would help, or if her age would go against her.

I would really like for my Mum to come over too, and would like to know what (if any) her options are.

I would really appreciate any advice as I am getting really stressed about leaving her, and knowing if it is really feasible for her to come or not could make the difference as to whether we make the leap too

Thanks in advance for any help
Hi
We too have looked into getting parents over. we were told that there were two types of visa for them a retirement in which they need a substantial ammount of money too or a temporary, which would allow them 6 months in this country and 6 months in Australia. The second will be our option and mum seems pleased with that. From the sale of our house we will give he some money for flights to ensure she will come every year. Maybe you could do that too.
Good luck and best wishes
Donna and Trev
Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you've not looked into the Contributory Parent visa option, which is a *permanent* visa for parents. It has only been in existence since 1 July 2003.

I'd go back to the DIMIA site and take a look - there are rules to be observed, but it's the most accessible way to get PR and citizenship for parents.

Jeremy

Originally Posted by DIMO8
Hi
We too have looked into getting parents over. we were told that there were two types of visa for them a retirement in which they need a substantial ammount of money too or a temporary, which would allow them 6 months in this country and 6 months in Australia. The second will be our option and mum seems pleased with that. From the sale of our house we will give he some money for flights to ensure she will come every year. Maybe you could do that too.
Good luck and best wishes
Donna and Trev
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Something we have been thinking about too. My m-i-l would pas the balance of family test as she only has ste ( no other children and no husband ), how long do these type of visas take to be granted, i'm sure i read on here that it can be years as the waiting list is so long.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Contributory Parent visas are quick (about 6-9 months normally) provided you pay the high charges.

Regular parent visas will take many years.

Jeremy

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Something we have been thinking about too. My m-i-l would pas the balance of family test as she only has ste ( no other children and no husband ), how long do these type of visas take to be granted, i'm sure i read on here that it can be years as the waiting list is so long.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Contributory Parent visas are quick (about 6-9 months normally) provided you pay the high charges.

Regular parent visas will take many years.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

thanks for the reply.

What are the 'high charges' you talk of?

Regards,
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Steandleigh,

Have looked into this a bit more since I made the original post and have looked at the Contributory parent visa this is different to the Parent visa which you are right takes forever to get.

With the contributory parent visa although you have to pay higher visa fees, and provide an assurance bond, I have read that it can take as little as 6 months to get. Try typing in Parent contributory visa on the immigration site there are some really useful threads, esp from Grayling who has actually got one of these visas.

Another quick point to add to the original post, If we were to apply for a parent contributory visa for my mum after being PR for 2 yrs as is the requirement, is there any way that mum would be able to come over sooner and work as a midwife, would she be able to get say temporary employer sponsorship or would her age (52) make that difficult, she would be too young to get a retirement visa yet

Thanks everyone for all your help in this I'm feeling much more positive about all this now

Flossybean
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Flossybean,

thanks for that. Will certainly be looking into it soon and certainly with more ferver when we have citizenship.

Is the assurers bond refundable after a certain length of time, just like the bond some skilled Inds have to put up for the extra points?

Good luck to you and yours. x
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Flossybean,

thanks for that. Will certainly be looking into it soon and certainly with more ferver when we have citizenship.

Is the assurers bond refundable after a certain length of time, just like the bond some skilled Inds have to put up for the extra points?

Hi Folks,

I'm not an expert on this yet, but my understanding is that the visa fee is 1795 dollars (non refundable) followed by a second additional non refundable charge of 25000 dollars per applicant this goes towards their welfare charges there is also a returnable bond of assurance held for 10 yrs of 10,000 dollars for first applicant and 4,000 for their spouse.

Please don't quote me on the exact figures you would need to get them for sure from the DIMIA website

Hope this Helps,

Best wishes to you and yours,

Flossybean
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Flossybean,

P.s you don't need to be citizens just PR status for 2 yrs to pursue this
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Flossybean
Hi Folks,

I'm not an expert on this yet, but my understanding is that the visa fee is 1795 dollars (non refundable) followed by a second additional non refundable charge of 25000 dollars per applicant this goes towards their welfare charges there is also a returnable bond of assurance held for 10 yrs of 10,000 dollars for first applicant and 4,000 for their spouse.

Please don't quote me on the exact figures you would need to get them for sure from the DIMIA website

Hope this Helps,

Best wishes to you and yours,

Flossybean
Thanks Flossybean,

will have a look on the DIMIA site for the up-to-date info. - I don't doubt that in 2 yrs time the fees will have risen too!

Best wishes,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.