Reload this Page >

Could I survive on $2000

Could I survive on $2000

Old Dec 14th 2005, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

jonathanb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Could I survive on $2000

Hi

I have been offered a job around Brisbane for which I would get aound $5000 per month after tax. Out of that I would have to send $3000 to the ex wife and kids here in SA leaving me with $2000 to live on. Could I manage on that or would I starve?

Thanks
Jonathan
Old Dec 14th 2005, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Could I survive on $2000

Originally Posted by jonathanb
Hi

I have been offered a job around Brisbane for which I would get aound $5000 per month after tax. Out of that I would have to send $3000 to the ex wife and kids here in SA leaving me with $2000 to live on. Could I manage on that or would I starve?

Thanks
Jonathan
you'd starve, or at least have to live in a real dive. It is possible to live here reasonably cheaply but rent would take up the best part of half of your money you had left over and then you've got to look at transport to work etc.

Sorry, and it's probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but whilst Australia is cheaper to live in than the UK, it's not THAT much cheaper
Old Dec 14th 2005, 1:08 pm
Banned

menace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud of

Hi

Thanks
Jonathan
You would be eating cold baked beans by candlelight I am afraid.

Why not get some money from the ex ball and chain, why does she need $3000 per month when you only earn $5000pm? Seems a little unbalanced to moi!

Enjoy your baked beans.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the fast replies. Unfortunately the ex ball and chain does not work and never has. I dont want my kids to have to move or live any worse off than they are now which means giving them $3000 which is the equivelant of what I currently earn. I am also not prepared to heat up baked beans on a candle so I suppose I should look at some other options.

I did really want to move though mainly so I could help my kids move over when they finish school

Thanks
Old Dec 14th 2005, 3:12 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Could I survive on $2000

Would Jonathanb be able to survive on that if he had no rent or mortgage to pay?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 14th 2005, 3:20 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Could I survive on $2000

Hi

Thanks
Jonathan
Living on $2000 per month? For one person?

You'd be fine!
Old Dec 14th 2005, 5:24 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the fast replies. Unfortunately the ex ball and chain does not work and never has. I dont want my kids to have to move or live any worse off than they are now which means giving them $3000 which is the equivelant of what I currently earn. I am also not prepared to heat up baked beans on a candle so I suppose I should look at some other options.

I did really want to move though mainly so I could help my kids move over when they finish school

Thanks
Whilst I understand you needing to support your kids,

supporting the ex wife is bollocks.

just my 2 cents.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Whilst I understand you needing to support your kids,

supporting the ex wife is bollocks.

just my 2 cents.

Take your kids with you and tell her to get off her a*** and get a job.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It would be possible infact. We need AUS2500 for a family of 3 to exist and that is fueling 2 cars etc. That 1 car we spend on might be your entertainment budget for the month. You'd be OK, but you would be living like a grad just out of Uni. If you want to live abit you'd be certainly in baked bean territory. If you don't have expensive tastes - then you'd be OK.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Would Jonathanb be able to survive on that if he had no rent or mortgage to pay?

Cheers

Buzzy
In a word, yes.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 10:34 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you'd be able to scrape through, but I really don't get why you'd send so much home. Plus, does SA mean South Africa and isn't $3k quite alot out there?

If it means South Australia, can't she just get Govt pensions and a job?

Get off the guilt trip mate and make her do something about it.

Paul.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 10:34 pm
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Thanks
Jonathan
If my friend can survive in gross salary of 3000 pm happily then you could.. but hes not married yet...
- Bart
PS: Guys all you mention such a wonderful salary but still beg can you survive.. whats the motto:
- being poor even after getting good salary( anything above 50,k is woth to surive ok)
- come here to make just money and spend it on worthless things... of to be a very civil person.
Good luck
Old Dec 15th 2005, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by diddy
Yes you'd be able to scrape through, but I really don't get why you'd send so much home. Plus, does SA mean South Africa and isn't $3k quite alot out there?

If it means South Australia, can't she just get Govt pensions and a job?

Get off the guilt trip mate and make her do something about it.

Paul.
Hi Paul

Yes it is South Africa and is ZAR15000. It is a lot but I dont want my kids to have to downgrade their lifestyle or even move into a smaller house. I would rather scrape by for the next eight years until the youngest has left home then it is all for me.

Cheers
Old Dec 15th 2005, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the answers everyone. OK so it seems that I will be able to just survive which is fine for me until the youngest kid has left home. Now I must just get there.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 5:37 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the answers everyone. OK so it seems that I will be able to just survive which is fine for me until the youngest kid has left home. Now I must just get there.

Yeah you can survive, but what about seeing the kids again, flying aint cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.