Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:36 am
  #16  
BE Enthusiast
 
Les Avalook's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Wivenhoe
Posts: 595
Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Originally Posted by nbn8 View Post
Just a quick question what would the commute be like time wise from Robina to Daisy Hill, Brisbane area? Ive looked at distance in Km but not sure of traffic etc for a 9am start - would it be a nightmare or possible? Thanks
Add to what others have said in the next 3 years there looks like no improvement while this work is carried out.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/N...-Motorway.aspx

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/pr...ctober2009.pdf

Les Avalook is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:44 am
  #17  
Mostly Harmless
 
DeadVim's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Semi-rural wonderworld, Brisbane
Posts: 15,013
DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Originally Posted by Les Avalook View Post
Add to what others have said in the next 3 years there looks like no improvement while this work is carried out.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/N...-Motorway.aspx

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/pr...ctober2009.pdf

Ta, I was wondering what was planned at Loganlea Road but never been arsed to check out the plans ... all sounds very nice ... now, when are they going to sort out the crippling peak hour delays during the lane merges from the CBD to Daisy Hill AND educate the f'wits that driving 10cm from the car in front will produce accidents even worse delays?
DeadVim is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:08 am
  #18  
Decreased member
 
Carbery's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Pere Lachaise Cemetary, plot 666
Posts: 1,381
Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Its all great to widen the highways but all that happens is the bottleneck of 4 lanes to two moves a few k down the road.
The main problem with the run from GC to Brissie is that there is no alternative route.
Carbery is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:11 am
  #19  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Gold Coast, Qld
Posts: 334
Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all
Default Re: Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Nic, back when we first arrived i spent nearly everyday up and down the motorway from Mudgeeraba coming off just before Springwood/Slacks Creek for 2 weeks and i have to say, it was torture and really quite depressing, only really in the fact that it just seems to go on forever!! If its for a job for either of you then i would only advise it if the wage is worth it. But what is torture to one, is run-of-the-mill to another so i would give it a go yourself and see how it feels.. Hugs Sunbound xxxx
Sunbound is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:17 am
  #20  
And YOU'RE paying for it!
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: kipper tie?
Posts: 2,328
lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
educate the f'wits that driving 10cm from the car in front will produce accidents even worse delays?
MTFU
Drink a cup of gravel
Carpy Dime
**** off, we're full
Justify your existence
Unit

etc
lapin_windstar is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:10 pm
  #21  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 22
bybyQLD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Originally Posted by nbn8 View Post
Just a quick question what would the commute be like time wise from Robina to Daisy Hill, Brisbane area? Ive looked at distance in Km but not sure of traffic etc for a 9am start - would it be a nightmare or possible? Thanks
Hi, i'v just moved from gold coast( the most perfect place in the world) I commuted to Brisbane every day. I had a 7.00am start, that mad eit very easy. The big problem for you is the trip home, at 4.30 pm the highway is pretty bad.
Did I mention gold coast is great!
bybyQLD is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:46 am
  #22  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 59
GoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really nice
Default Re: Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Originally Posted by bybyQLD View Post
Hi, i'v just moved from gold coast( the most perfect place in the world) I commuted to Brisbane every day. I had a 7.00am start, that mad eit very easy. The big problem for you is the trip home, at 4.30 pm the highway is pretty bad.
Did I mention gold coast is great!
I train it, Varsity Lakes to Roma street, wound up with a 2 hour commute each way, wasn't expecting to be in Brisbane 5 days a week, so it just makes a very long day. Will be moving closer to Brissie next year (when the house is built). Train seems to take ages from Loganlea to Roma...
GoldCoastOrBust is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:17 am
  #23  
BE Enthusiast
 
Les Avalook's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Wivenhoe
Posts: 595
Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Originally Posted by GoldCoastOrBust View Post
I train it, Varsity Lakes to Roma street, wound up with a 2 hour commute each way, wasn't expecting to be in Brisbane 5 days a week, so it just makes a very long day. Will be moving closer to Brissie next year (when the house is built). Train seems to take ages from Loganlea to Roma...
You do get the sense you could push the train quicker.

Brisbane seems to spend all of it's new money on the buses and roads and the train is still running in the 1960s.
Les Avalook is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:27 pm
  #24  
Forum Regular
 
Don_Angel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 70
Don_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really nice
Default Re: Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Originally Posted by Les Avalook View Post
You do get the sense you could push the train quicker.

Brisbane seems to spend all of it's new money on the buses and roads and the train is still running in the 1960s.
They are starting to pump money into rail now but they were slow of the mark. We went to the glass house mountains today and there is a brand spanking new station there that nobody uses and busy stations like Toombul are an absolute disgrace. The new trains are very nice but just not frequent enough.

On the same subject, I read in local newspaper that the new busses are costing Bribane city council $500,000 each, that is double the cost of a London double decker so it looks like even BCC are getting ripped off.
Don_Angel is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 12:04 am
  #25  
ABCDiamond
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Originally Posted by Don_Angel View Post
They are starting to pump money into rail now but they were slow of the mark. We went to the glass house mountains today and there is a brand spanking new station there that nobody uses and busy stations like Toombul are an absolute disgrace. The new trains are very nice but just not frequent enough.

On the same subject, I read in local newspaper that the new busses are costing Bribane city council $500,000 each, that is double the cost of a London double decker so it looks like even BCC are getting ripped off.
The new British buses are also a tad more expensive, although they hope to get the price down with quantity, to only A$510,000.
Once the buses are rolling it is expected that the cost will be reduced to about £300,000 apiece.
The buses replace the much-hated bendy buses which cost about £250,000 each. (A$425,000+)
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010...for-london.php
 
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 1:47 am
  #26  
Forum Regular
 
Don_Angel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 70
Don_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really nice
Default Re: Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond View Post
The new British buses are also a tad more expensive, although they hope to get the price down with quantity, to only A$510,000.
Ah that is the Borismaster, I didn't mean that one because I don't think that will ever happen to be honest. Wasting money like that will not go down too well in the current economic climate. Your link reports that the regular UK double deckers are £190,000 each ($313,000) The $500,000 Aus ones were standard Volvo diesel single deckers assembled by Volgen at Toowong, Brisbane. Nearly $200,000 more for a much smaller bus.
Don_Angel is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 5:52 am
  #27  
BE Forum Addict
 
Jan4kids's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Hertfordshire - Adelaide - now Gold Coast.
Posts: 1,156
Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
Exactly ... but not as ThrowABrickThroughTheWindScreenAndHopeToWipeThemOu tWorthy as those vehicles sporting the "My Family" stickers ...
I've just given in and bought a set of those 'My Family' Stickers....but at least I haven't got any Frangipanis......just need to clean the car sufficiently so they will stick lol!
Jan4kids is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 6:08 am
  #28  
Mostly Harmless
 
DeadVim's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Semi-rural wonderworld, Brisbane
Posts: 15,013
DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Originally Posted by Jan4kids View Post
I've just given in and bought a set of those 'My Family' Stickers....but at least I haven't got any Frangipanis......just need to clean the car sufficiently so they will stick lol!
No problem with ours, we managed to spill a can of fizzy yesterday and have done so again today ... that's what happens when you leave Dad in charge, a major drinking problem
DeadVim is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 6:32 am
  #29  
BE Enthusiast
 
sa2uk2oz's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 337
sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of
Default Re: Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Hi
I am a rep and do the commute about 3 days a week into Brisbane from Robina. Most days i leave Robina around 8am and reach the Daisy Hill Off ramp by about 8.50am. Today was super quick, left Robina at 7.55am and was at south bank by 8.45am. (could be because its school holidays)
sa2uk2oz is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 6:48 am
  #30  
Mostly Harmless
 
DeadVim's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Semi-rural wonderworld, Brisbane
Posts: 15,013
DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Originally Posted by sa2uk2oz View Post
Hi
I am a rep and do the commute about 3 days a week into Brisbane from Robina. Most days i leave Robina around 8am and reach the Daisy Hill Off ramp by about 8.50am. Today was super quick, left Robina at 7.55am and was at south bank by 8.45am. (could be because its school holidays)
Yup, school holidays make a huge difference, take all those Prados and Landcruisers off the roads and it means more space for people who don't need a tank.
DeadVim is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.