Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of
Default Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Just a quick question what would the commute be like time wise from Robina to Daisy Hill, Brisbane area? Ive looked at distance in Km but not sure of traffic etc for a 9am start - would it be a nightmare or possible? Thanks
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Don_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really nice
Default Re: Could I commute? GC to Brisbane

Originally Posted by nbn8
Just a quick question what would the commute be like time wise from Robina to Daisy Hill, Brisbane area? Ive looked at distance in Km but not sure of traffic etc for a 9am start - would it be a nightmare or possible? Thanks
You probably could becuase Daisy hill is south of Brisbane, the daily snarl ups tend to happen closer you get to the riverside expressway. I have never managed to get from the CDB to Gold Coast in an hour.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:56 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

After sitting in a traffic jam (not moving for 20 mins) this afternoon around Daisy Hill I would find that commute every day unbearable. Have you looked at the train? If you are leaving at 9:00am you would hit very heavy traffic going up as well - why not try one morning as a dummy run.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:00 am
ABCDiamond

My TomTom states the following travel times:

08:00 am Leave tomorrow from Robina
60.2 km - 40 min.
08:40 am Arrive tomorrow at Daisy Hill (Brisbane)

I have found the Tom Tom estimated times to be surprising accurate, so far, but don't have personal experience of that route at those times.

It is a good motorway almost all the way, so although 40 minutes seems low, it could actually be feasible.

Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:01 am
Just Joined

carolcaroline is an unknown quantity at this point

When I first arrived here I commuted from mermaid beach to Brisbane every day! It was awful!!! I had to start work at 7 15am so I thought i would miss rush hour traffic, I didnt reckon with the early starts most Aussies do! I always hit the traffic jams just before Springwood and then crawled the rest of the way to Brissie! I left home at 5 15 am and was still late on occasions! Then going back it started at about 3 30pm and continued till 7 30 pm! Dont do it!!!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by carolcaroline
When I first arrived here I commuted from mermaid beach to Brisbane every day! It was awful!!! I had to start work at 7 15am so I thought i would miss rush hour traffic, I didnt reckon with the early starts most Aussies do! I always hit the traffic jams just before Springwood and then crawled the rest of the way to Brissie! I left home at 5 15 am and was still late on occasions! Then going back it started at about 3 30pm and continued till 7 30 pm! Dont do it!!!
With Springwood being after Daisy Hill, they 'may' not hit really bad traffic then ?

Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:18 am
Just Joined

carolcaroline is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah possibly not! But really the backlog can go on for ever! I still have nightmares of the six months I commuted and would never wish it anyone! But each to his own, and it might work for them xx
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Thanks very much
Old Sep 10th 2010, 4:01 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I think after a week I would want to kill myself doing that trip. There, my scientific and calculated take on the route.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 4:12 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I think after a week I would want to kill myself doing that trip. There, my scientific and calculated take on the route.
I will concur with that ... I have done 20 minutes (from the sticks) to Daisy Hill then to Brisbane for the past 5 years and it ain't pretty ... and getting less so. In fact, my last day is next Friday and then I'll be looking elsewhere to work.

Yes, the freeway looks great on paper from Robina to Daisy Hill but every time I've done that stretch (mostly weekends) I've been moderately surprised to still be alive at journey's end.

40 minutes at 9am? Maybe, if like everyone else you do 130kmh when you can ... just remember to add a "Unit" sticker to the 'ute and you'll fit right in.

If I HAD to work near Daisy Hill then I'd look out towards the outskirts of Beenleigh to live ... nice and semi-rural and affordable (due to the bad reputation which can be safely ignored if you pick the right spot).
Old Sep 10th 2010, 5:29 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
just remember to add a "Unit" sticker to the 'ute and you'll fit right in.
Unit?
Old Sep 10th 2010, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Unit?
Do you live in qld?

To the op...I did this run then off at springwood and 20km west (oxley) for 18 months!! Average times between 55-70mins vfrom varsity not ideal but robina to daisy hill would be 40-45mins 90% of the time possibly even less if you do the unit thing!!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 6:24 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Unit?
Or "Justify Your Existence" ... I am educated, 39, and do not possess a mullet so I am unfamiliar with the cultural significance.

I do know that the addition of said stickers will add at least 20kmh to the standard cruising speed and they are best viewed from afar.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 6:29 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammyg
Do you live in qld?

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Or "Justify Your Existence"

Old Sep 10th 2010, 6:33 am
Mostly Harmless

Exactly ... but not as ThrowABrickThroughTheWindScreenAndHopeToWipeThemOu tWorthy as those vehicles sporting the "My Family" stickers ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.