Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Could I afford to live in Oz??????

Could I afford to live in Oz??????

Old Jan 6th 2006, 6:19 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of
Default Could I afford to live in Oz??????

Two previous posts have got me re-thinking my future……

“A disturbing realisation……………”
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346218

and

“Were being ripped off here!”
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346215

I’ve been informed via these posts that I will struggle on the expected salary of $40,000 working as a nurse in Melbourne.

I never for one minute thought that I would move to Oz and suddenly be able to live like a Queen, but for peace of mind, I would just like to know that at least I will be able to put food on the table for me an my daughter, be able to afford rental of a small apartment/house, drive a medium sized car and go out for a drink once in a while.
I can’t afford to buy a house in England anyway and haven’t had a holiday for years and years. I also don’t plan on staying on 40K for very long and will work extra hours if I need to. I'm just worried about the idea of giving everything up here only to struggle even more out there.

Id just like to know what other people think of the salary?

Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:02 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could I afford to live in Oz??????

Originally Posted by Dianej
Two previous posts have got me re-thinking my future……

“A disturbing realisation……………”
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346218

and

“Were being ripped off here!”
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346215

I’ve been informed via these posts that I will struggle on the expected salary of $40,000 working as a nurse in Melbourne.

I never for one minute thought that I would move to Oz and suddenly be able to live like a Queen, but for peace of mind, I would just like to know that at least I will be able to put food on the table for me an my daughter, be able to afford rental of a small apartment/house, drive a medium sized car and go out for a drink once in a while.
I can’t afford to buy a house in England anyway and haven’t had a holiday for years and years. I also don’t plan on staying on 40K for very long and will work extra hours if I need to. I'm just worried about the idea of giving everything up here only to struggle even more out there.

Id just like to know what other people think of the salary?

Not too sure but would be interested in hearing commments.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
Not too sure but would be interested in hearing commments.

Cheers

Ginny
I'm looking at it this way, may as well be poor there than here.

Seriously, It depends on your personal expenditure. If you could live on it here then you'll be ok there. You will always find a way.

Don't forget that all people are different too, for instance you can buy a tin of heinz beans here that cost about 80p or you can buy asda brand for 17p. some people won't buy the 17p ones as they'll only eat heinz. So their shopping bill will be way more than mine cos I'll eat anything.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

HI, how long have you been qualified. I'm a nurse with only 2 years experience and hope to go to perth. The salary there at my stage is 42,030 plus enhancements, which as I'm sure you know can bump up your wages quite a bit. This was as off May 2004 so it's probably a little higher now. I read a thread on here a while ago from a nurse who only worked three nights a week and managed to rent a house and start to build a new house while her hubbie was looking for a job so it must be possible to manage on nurse wages ok. I hope so anyway otherwise we'll all be coming home :scared:
Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:16 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
HI, how long have you been qualified. I'm a nurse with only 2 years experience and hope to go to perth. The salary there at my stage is 42,030 plus enhancements, which as I'm sure you know can bump up your wages quite a bit. This was as off May 2004 so it's probably a little higher now. I read a thread on here a while ago from a nurse who only worked three nights a week and managed to rent a house and start to build a new house while her hubbie was looking for a job so it must be possible to manage on nurse wages ok. I hope so anyway otherwise we'll all be coming home :scared:
Hi, I dont qualify till March, planning on coming over Feb 2007. All the negative things Ive read seem to be about costs in Melbourne, but cost of livings supposed to be cheaper in Perth. Perth was my original choice and the wages are higher there...............might switch yet, except Im no good with heat!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:17 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Originally Posted by WendyC
I'm looking at it this way, may as well be poor there than here.

Seriously, It depends on your personal expenditure. If you could live on it here then you'll be ok there. You will always find a way.

Don't forget that all people are different too, for instance you can buy a tin of heinz beans here that cost about 80p or you can buy asda brand for 17p. some people won't buy the 17p ones as they'll only eat heinz. So their shopping bill will be way more than mine cos I'll eat anything.
I agree and WELL DONE on your Visa!!! When are you going?
Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree and WELL DONE on your Visa!!! When are you going?
Hopefully march/april, we need to sell house. Getting it valued next week. we've had a bit of interest already but not going to count our chickens.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Hi, I dont qualify till March, planning on coming over Feb 2007. All the negative things Ive read seem to be about costs in Melbourne, but cost of livings supposed to be cheaper in Perth. Perth was my original choice and the wages are higher there...............might switch yet, except Im no good with heat!
Is Melbourne much cooler? I dont know much about the climate is the rest of Aus as I'm so obsessed with going to WA I've never bothered finding out about anywhere else!!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:54 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
Is Melbourne much cooler? I dont know much about the climate is the rest of Aus as I'm so obsessed with going to WA I've never bothered finding out about anywhere else!!
Melbourne's more temperate climate ( sort of French/Italian type weather) Perth is supposedly red hot 40 degrees stuff in summer and all year round sun most of time (Guess its like Tenerife type weather). I once lived in Florida for 18 months and hated the heat - even my ankles were sweating!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Melbourne's more temperate climate ( sort of French/Italian type weather) Perth is supposedly red hot 40 degrees stuff in summer and all year round sun most of time (Guess its like Tenerife type weather). I once lived in Florida for 18 months and hated the heat - even my ankles were sweating!
Thats why we picked Perth for the heat. We lived in Cyprus for a few years and just loved the heat. Funny how we all differ
Old Jan 7th 2006, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be fooled. I've been bloody freezing since I arrived in July (apart from the last month!)

No seriously - we were quite cold until early December. December has been OK - but still cool.
Yesterday hit a fraction under 38 but at the beach felt like an English 28 - the breeze is strong and cool.

melbourne hit 42 last week.

Check out this site for good climate data: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/index.shtml
Old Jan 7th 2006, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Don't be fooled. I've been bloody freezing since I arrived in July (apart from the last month!)

No seriously - we were quite cold until early December. December has been OK - but still cool.
Yesterday hit a fraction under 38 but at the beach felt like an English 28 - the breeze is strong and cool.

melbourne hit 42 last week.

Check out this site for good climate data: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/index.shtml
All places inthe south get comparitively cold. I quite like winter in Australia. Perth has had a shocker spring by all accounts.

My advice to a nurse is that many places are expensive as you make them, if you got by in the UK, you may get by in Melbourne; after all you have the experience - its the people who are well off in the UK who get the biggest shock leaving their comfort zones. You may feel the lifestyle makes up for having less or no disposable income. Medical bills may be an issue, and groceries are more expensive that's all I can think of. Many other thngs are cheaper or the same, what is more expensive is luxuries. I'd rather be poor here than poor in the UK.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future

I hope you can manage on that wage because I’m also moving to Oz (Melbourne) as a single parent with a similar wage (teaching)
Old Jan 7th 2006, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bubblegum_babe
I hope you can manage on that wage because I’m also moving to Oz (Melbourne) as a single parent with a similar wage (teaching)
If you are on PR on that salary you and with children, as has been mentioned elsewhere, you will almost certainly be entitled to rent assistance from the day you arrive.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Samantha 27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ossigeno
If you are on PR on that salary you and with children, as has been mentioned elsewhere, you will almost certainly be entitled to rent assistance from the day you arrive.
I moved to Sydney from the UK just over a year ago and there are so many variables. I took a large pay cut but because I am only here for 2 years I have Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA) a tax free amount for housing and food from my employer which makes a huge difference. Saying that I am here with my other half and he is not working and we have had more disposable income - may have something to do with leaving debt in the UK!

I think Sydney is probably more expensive than Melbourne but my shopping bill is very similar to the UK and my rent more expensive. Eating out is cheaper so it really depends on your life style etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.