Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It could be even worse

It could be even worse

Old Sep 9th 2003, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It could be even worse

I am feeling a new spirit of positive feeling about Oz now. I have just had a butcher's at the forums with people talking about Canada and the USA. I would have to say that Oz doesn't seem too bad when I compare it to the descriptions of "the americas". No-one seems to have jobs there, the yanks and "canucks" (they seem to call them) seem to be as knowledgeable about the world outisde of George Bush's imaginings as an unborn baby and the weather sounds like it would play havoc with my creaking joints.

Oz - things could be even worse.

Best thing about the Canadian/US posts is that there seem to be so many people keen to go back to the UK knowing that they left a better place behind and with a new appreciation of it. Something that is ahead of many here, I think.

Wilf
UK - best in the world.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: It could be even worse

Originally posted by Wilf
I am feeling a new spirit of positive feeling about Oz now. I have just had a butcher's at the forums with people talking about Canada and the USA. I would have to say that Oz doesn't seem too bad when I compare it to the descriptions of "the americas". No-one seems to have jobs there, the yanks and "canucks" (they seem to call them) seem to be as knowledgeable about the world outisde of George Bush's imaginings as an unborn baby and the weather sounds like it would play havoc with my creaking joints.

Oz - things could be even worse.

Best thing about the Canadian/US posts is that there seem to be so many people keen to go back to the UK knowing that they left a better place behind and with a new appreciation of it. Something that is ahead of many here, I think.

Wilf
UK - best in the world.
Just goes to show once you hit the new land the big issue "Reality" hits no matter whether you dreamed of crisp whlte mountains or white sandy beaches. Living it is very different to reading Holiday brochures in the old armchair and telling everyone of the dream life. Fact is day to day crap is what our lives are based on wherever we live, work, bills, food, car, mortages, hassles, niggles and blah.

Only place those issues dont exist is in our heads while in the dream new life phase, once off the plane you cant stick your head in the sand (or snow).
Old Sep 9th 2003, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by dotty
Just goes to show once you hit the new land the big issue "Reality" hits no matter whether you dreamed of crisp whlte mountains or white sandy beaches. Living it is very different to reading Holiday brochures in the old armchair and telling everyone of the dream life. Fact is day to day crap is what our lives are based on wherever we live, work, bills, food, car, mortages, hassles, niggles and blah.

Only place those issues dont exist is in our heads while in the dream new life phase, once off the plane you cant stick your head in the sand (or snow).
Old Sep 9th 2003, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Mucked up my last post - sorry. It all disappeared. Bloody Babbage differential engines.

I was going to say that what you say is very true, dotty. I was surprised to hear that Canada seemed so ignorant of the outside world - I thought they had a bit more going for them than the yanks. It seems like a bit of a busted flush - the ones who like it seem to be those who have been there since the 60s/early 70s and the latest (last few years) bunch seem to be suffering some very hard times (especially unemployment ) - perhaps you have seen (I think you said you had).

I think all people should go for 2 years (wherever they are going) and plan to go back after that. Less ruin that way. It is good that most people can put a positive face on being unemployed or unhappy in their new land, but at the end of the day, many do not expect to have to go back (or choose to) and too many bridges get burnt. I also think that, like some have said recently, if you plan to make it 2 years rather than "permanent" from the outset, the emigration can be enjoyed more if all does not go according to plan.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Just been on the Canada forum, there are a few who've moved backwards and forwards a fewl times between Canada and UK. How stressful!

We've got friends who moved to Vancouver, Canada only to move back to England after just 8 weeks, then 3 months later moved back to Canada, they are still there 1 year later and are reasonably settled. It was an expensive exercise.

Our shippers said that people tend to come back more readily from Canada than they do from Australia because it's closer. The removal companies must be doing well.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Kath
Just been on the Canada forum, there are a few who've moved backwards and forwards a fewl times between Canada and UK. How stressful!

We've got friends who moved to Vancouver, Canada only to move back to England after just 8 weeks, then 3 months later moved back to Canada, they are still there 1 year later and are reasonably settled. It was an expensive exercise.

Our shippers said that people tend to come back more readily from Canada than they do from Australia because it's closer. The removal companies must be doing well.

Canadas economy has been pretty bad last few years, lots of government cost cutting. Made a lot of people fairly bitter. Having lived in OZ and Canada I would prefer Canada tho, closer to the rest of the world, calmer people, Great summers and real winters, and cheap house prices compared to OZ.

Its hard to compare at the moment with OZ booming and Canada not but if on a level pegging then I would choose Canada every time. Still I am not one of the Sunseekers of this world, OZ cured me of that quick smart. Very proud nation too, but not in the unworldly way I find OZ.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Canadas economy has been pretty bad last few years, lots of government cost cutting. Made a lot of people fairly bitter. Having lived in OZ and Canada I would prefer Canada tho, closer to the rest of the world, calmer people, Great summers and real winters, and cheap house prices compared to OZ.

Its hard to compare at the moment with OZ booming and Canada not but if on a level pegging then I would choose Canada every time. Still I am not one of the Sunseekers of this world, OZ cured me of that quick smart. Very proud nation too, but not in the unworldly way I find OZ.
Our friends had trouble finding work. He is well qualified, skilled trade, but had to re-take exams to Canadian standards, which to him appeared lower standards. I've also read other posts which confirm Canadians just do not seem to recognise overseas qualifications.

Agree, Canada is not so remote but I can't help thinking they must have alot of American influence (sharing a border) and after living 1 year in the USA it was enough for me.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:39 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I couldn't possibly live in USA (except maybe Boston or bits of California). The whole country epitomises the saying that money can't buy you happiness - nor can it buy you much in the way of brain exercise. Funny how he melting pot that produced such great outcomes in terms of people's vitality and enterprise now produces mush.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I couldn't possibly live in USA (except maybe Boston or bits of California). The whole country epitomises the saying that money can't buy you happiness - nor can it buy you much in the way of brain exercise. Funny how he melting pot that produced such great outcomes in terms of people's vitality and enterprise now produces mush.
I didn't really feel comfortable living in a country where "excess" is the norm. I worked in Philadelphia as a Nanny for a wealthy middle class family, they had everything money could buy but they were not happy - later got divorced.

I lived in a neighbourhood where you could drive through everywhere, drive through takeaways, convenience stores, dry cleaners, banks, pharmacy, no-one walked anywhere. People also ate too much or too little, regularly saw their therapist and couldn't seem to make a decision without consulting one!

The good old US of A.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by pleasancefamily

Me neither, for much the same reasons. They seem even more propagandised than the rest of the world and I would not like to live in a fundamentalist religious regime where dissent is so much supressed and truth is what you are told it is. It is a sad place that has lost its way and bears out Henry David Thoreau's comment "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."

As you imply, Don, there have been some very inspirational products (people and ideas) but what now that inspires?
Old Sep 9th 2003, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Me neither, for much the same reasons. They seem even more propagandised than the rest of the world and I would not like to live in a fundamentalist religious regime where dissent is so much supressed and truth is what you are told it is. It is a sad place that has lost its way and bears out Henry David Thoreau's comment "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."

As you imply, Don, there have been some very inspirational products (people and ideas) but what now that inspires?
Only bit of USA I could hack would be those lovely green bits North of New York. Big fab house in the Country and New York two hours away I'd be in heaven.

Canadas pretty different to the USA, they have a heart attack if you call them american. Of course the Yanky influence is there, but its here too, most aussie kids would kill to be yanks.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Only bit of USA I could hack would be those lovely green bits North of New York. Big fab house in the Country and New York two hours away I'd be in heaven.
Is that what they mean by "The Hamptons" dotty?

I always thought it was funny with there being Hamptons around London too - Hampton, Hampton Wick. They took the name from there or it is based on the history of placenames? Hampton means farm or something does it not?

Anyway, is the green you are talking of "The Hamptons" dotty or that is somewhere else?
Old Sep 9th 2003, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Canadas pretty different to the USA, they have a heart attack if you call them american. Of course the Yanky influence is there, but its here too, most aussie kids would kill to be yanks.
There aren't many places in the world that haven't been touched by the American influence. I do think New England part of the US is the best, great climate, proper seasons, probably very expensive!
Old Sep 9th 2003, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

I always thought it was funny with there being Hamptons around London too - Hampton, Hampton Wick. They took the name from there or it is based on the history of placenames? Hampton means farm or something does it not?

Anyway, is the green you are talking of "The Hamptons" dotty or that is somewhere else?
Not exactly sure where The Hamptons are, I think it's an expensive getaway for New Yorkers??! Can someone confirm.

New England region is north of New York, incorporating Connecticut, Vermont, Maine, Massachuesetts (spelling?!).
Old Sep 9th 2003, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

Sorry Dotty - butted in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.