British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Costs of pets!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/costs-pets-927564/)

Thereandback Aug 29th 2019 5:08 pm

Costs of pets!!!!

Just had a quote for bringing the dogs and nearly had a heart attack. Do they have to go through a registered pet transport company?

verystormy Aug 30th 2019 4:35 am

Re: Costs of pets!!!!

You do not "have to". But it would be foolish not to.

Thereandback Aug 30th 2019 5:44 am

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12729278)
You do not "have to". But it would be foolish not to.

Can you expand on why you think this please? I shipped a dog Melbourne to UK independently and had no troubles however I know the Aus gov is much stricter. What I am being quoted will prevent me from being able to move back for another few years.

verystormy Sep 1st 2019 5:52 am

First I would say have a shop around to get more quotes

The reason I said, was it is very very easy for something to go amiss. For example, we did it the other way, Oz to UK. Hours before his flight, the airline suddenly announced a ban on all animal flights. If we were doing this on our own, it would have been devastating. But, we used Dogtainers who were able to use their connections and get him on a different flight.

Then, when we went to the ARC at Heathrow to collect him, there was a family in front of us waiting who were very upset as their cat was being refused entry due to a very minor mistake on the paperwork - the vets signature was very slightly out of the box where it was needed. They had done it themselves and didn't know that was a big no no.

Thereandback Sep 1st 2019 9:49 am

Thanks for the advice. I will get other quotes and see if they can share a create.

TessD Oct 31st 2019 3:44 am

Hi, we used Petair UK to bring our 3 dogs and 2 cats over. It was expensive but 6 years ago they had to do 30 days quarantine, now it's only 10. It wasn't the flight that was expensive, it was the quarantine and pre export blood work that bumped up the cost, around $25k from memory. We are just about to go back the other way with the same number of animals and only a fraction of the cost as UK only require rabies shot and wormer, phew! Good luck!

Thereandback Nov 8th 2019 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by TessD (Post 12756820)
Hi, we used Petair UK to bring our 3 dogs and 2 cats over. It was expensive but 6 years ago they had to do 30 days quarantine, now it's only 10. It wasn't the flight that was expensive, it was the quarantine and pre export blood work that bumped up the cost, around $25k from memory. We are just about to go back the other way with the same number of animals and only a fraction of the cost as UK only require rabies shot and wormer, phew! Good luck!

Many thanks. I will contact them for quotes. Can I be nosey and ask why you are returning? Only because I'm a bumerang and frightened of making a costly mistake.

TessD Nov 9th 2019 7:53 am

Returning home as I miss it and friends and family too much. Wouldn't say I'm homesick though and absolutely love living here. We have a fabulous life but you can't be in two places at once and UK wins for us. We won't be coming back unless it's for a holiday, too expensive this trans global moving thing lol. All the best!