Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

costs involved in move to aus

costs involved in move to aus

Old Sep 15th 2014, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Sas1985kia is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation costs involved in move to aus

Myself and my husband are looking to move to aus (prob victoria/new south wales coastline) but am wondering if anyone can help advise of what the costs involved are.
We are happy to wait a couple of years to save. It will be the two of us and our two children (currently 1 and 3).
I am a degree qualified neontatal nurse (with 5 years experience) and currently work as a band 6 in the uk.
My husband is a postman.
We need to know how much we are looking at for visas, flights, housing etc
Thank you
Old Sep 15th 2014, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

foggy balla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: costs involved in move to aus

I had applied, unsuccessfully, for WA police earlier in the year. Myself and the wife had costed as best we could for the move in the event I may have been successful. Similar position to yourselves in that we have two youngsters. For visas, flights, medicals and shipping container for contents of a four bedroom house we reckoned in or around £10/12000. When we took into account funds for setting ourselves upon arrival, (car, first few months rental, groceries, utilities etc) we were aiming for somewhere in the region of a further £10/15000 for that. All in, purely for ourselves our own magic number was £25000 to get there, and be set for the initial few months.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

oh my goodness thats alot of money, wasnt expecting it to be that much
Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

foggy balla is an unknown quantity at this point

Visas for ourselves and kids around £4500. Flights £3000. Shipping container £4-6000. And then several hundred pounds to cover medicals etc. And then costs to cover initial set up upon arrival as mentioned. All estimated obviously, and some people will/can do it less or more expensively. This was our estimates only, but from researching it I thought it fairly realistic.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:47 am
Just Joined

We intend to go there initially for 2-3 years as we have never been and dont feel able to commit to 'forever' so dont think we will ship all of our stuff over will prob initially rent out our house over here and put our stuff into storage.
?whether to go for a temporary (less costly) sponsorship visa obv only if I can get sponsored.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 3:06 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: costs involved in move to aus

Originally Posted by Sas1985kia
We intend to go there initially for 2-3 years as we have never been and dont feel able to commit to 'forever' so dont think we will ship all of our stuff over will prob initially rent out our house over here and put our stuff into storage.
?whether to go for a temporary (less costly) sponsorship visa obv only if I can get sponsored.
You may find that it is more expensive to replace all your possessions here than ship them. Rental houses here come completely unfurnished (not even a fridge) so you have to provide all that yourselves.

Neonatal nurses should not have a worry with employment, I have a friend who works in neonatal and she has no problems with getting enough shifts.

BB
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:16 am
Just Joined

Aw thats something to think about, i just had in my head that we would get a furnished place, is that not an option anywhere is aus?
Its good to hear that work shuldnt be a worry! x
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Some furnished places exist but more commonly they're units (apartments) and the furnishing itself can be of variable quality.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 7:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

oh my goodness thats alot of money, wasnt expecting it to be that much
Fees and charges for visas for visa charges Used to be per family but now it is per person.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Myself and my husband are looking to move to aus (prob victoria/new south wales coastline) but am wondering if anyone can help advise of what the costs involved are.
We are happy to wait a couple of years to save. It will be the two of us and our two children (currently 1 and 3).
I am a degree qualified neontatal nurse (with 5 years experience) and currently work as a band 6 in the uk.
My husband is a postman.
We need to know how much we are looking at for visas, flights, housing etc
Thank you
We spent about £3k on the visa process but it is more expensive not and you can quite easily double that now, if not more. Moving our container and two cats was about GBP8k. Our flights about £3-4k in business class. So that is say £15k.

Once we got here the immediate expenses were temporary accommodation for five weeks and a deposit on a long term rental. There is then just a lot of bits and pieces that you need to spend money on; driving licence, road tax, insurance, temporary crockery, bedding, towels etc whilst waiting for the container. Obviously a car to buy as well, that needs road tax and insuring etc.

I reckon we spend about £30k on our move overall. We both had jobs to go to so did not use any money for general living expenses out of that.

What do you mean by Victoria / NSW coast by the way? That is a pretty huge area.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Sep 16th 2014 at 9:07 am. Reason: £
Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:03 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: costs involved in move to aus

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
We spent about GBP3k on the visa process but it is more expensive not and you can quite easily double that now, if not more. Moving our container and two cats was about GBP8k. Our flights about GBP3-4k in business class. So that is say GBP15k.
Hi BermudaShorts you can get a "£" sign on an Australian keyboard by holding down the "ALT" key and typing "156". This may not work if you are on a mobile device....

HTH

BB
Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi BermudaShorts you can get a "£" sign on an Australian keyboard by holding down the "ALT" key and typing "156". This may not work if you are on a mobile device....

HTH

BB
Let's give it a go.....

£

it worked!

Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:27 am
Just Joined

I am looking at Geeelong but am not set on a definite area, we are literally only at the stage of thinking about it ATM but I am starting the think it may not be achievable at with the expenses outlined :-(
Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking at Geeelong but am not set on a definite area, we are literally only at the stage of thinking about it ATM but I am starting the think it may not be achievable at with the expenses outlined :-(
Moving countries isn't cheap unfortunately! Lots of these costs won't apply to you, but this thread is from the Canada forum and may give you an overview of some of the expenses involved in any move abroad - http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...canada-735341/

HTH, good luck.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:27 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add that childcare is ridiculously expensive, upto $100 a day minus what benefits you may get back from government...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.