Costs

Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Angelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really nice
Default Costs

Hello everyone,

We are in the process of migrating to Australia from the UK and are in the process of comparing Prices to the UK, I was hoping to start a thread on peoples experiences from the cost of foods to electrical goods, its just to help us to decide on if its worth paying to ship our stuff over or buying new in Australia.

Thank you

Angelica x
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:07 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costs

Originally Posted by Angelica666
Hello everyone,

We are in the process of migrating to Australia from the UK and are in the process of comparing Prices to the UK, I was hoping to start a thread on peoples experiences from the cost of foods to electrical goods, its just to help us to decide on if its worth paying to ship our stuff over or buying new in Australia.

Thank you

Angelica x
Your not allowed to ship your food into Australia, and weekly shopping would be horrendously expensive !

Search the forums, with the phrase, COST OF LIVING

Welcome BTW
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

charmed will become famous soon enoughcharmed will become famous soon enough

We didnt bring anything with us and we got a 4 bed house furnished for 15,000 dollers. Hubby did buy a 50 inch telly and i got a big american fridge. We got all our stuff brand new and really good quality things, This also inculdes outdoor furniture like big barbie and 9 peice dinning set. The furniture is much better and nicer than what we had in the uk and all the bedroom suites are lovely.

Good luck and hope this helps
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:21 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking for information on the Cost of Living too, to help us make our "move or stay" decision - I've found it quite sketchy and of course grocery shopping costs vary incredibly based on a lot of factors.

I've searched this and other forums and come up with these rough figures for a childless couple relocating to Sydney (i.e., big city premiums). I'm not sure if they're reasonable or total tosh. All WEEKLY (which is why some are odd numbers as I've changed them from monthly) and in AUD

Rent e.g., 3 bed townhouse in city = 600 (based on a friend's place)
Council Rates = 23
Water = 23
Building Insurance = 12
Contents Insurance = 9
Electricity = 23
Gas = 10
Phone & Broadband = 30
Satellite TV = 23
Mobiles = 25
Groceries = 200
Health Insurance = 60
Cost of running a 1.6L car (incl finance) = 150 (comes from the RAC site and includes all running expenses)
Gym - Membership only = 50
Gym - Personal Training ???

I know I have some double counting, e.g., if we rent, rates will be included, but if we buy we will need to take those into account.

I know I am missing a few things, like if we only have one car there will be travel expenses for the other, but I have no clue on these. Also girly essentials like haircuts (I've accepted I may have to give up the massages and facials ).

All in I estimated we would have basic expenses of at least 1300 a week, 5600 a month. I can't compare this to the UK as I haven't lived there for nearly 6 years. Hopefully somebody else can comment.

As to shipping - I noticed another thread about this yesterday. With the benefit of hindsight from our move from the UK to Singapore, I would say:

If you are getting your shipping paid for, take everything you think might be handy! Even if you want to gradually replace it, you won't get much for it second-hand and it will make the initial months easier both in terms of hassle and money. Although we would have had our shipping paid, we came here with suitcases as we didn't know if we'd be renting furnished, plus my husband was on 3 months' probation. We ended up hating using rented furniture and had to buy EVERYTHING. Even getting help with relocation and doing it as gradually as possible, we had a few tough months.

If you are funding your own move - think about the cost of replacing v cost of shipping, e.g., that cheap Ikea bed you have in the spare room. BUT do bring things you are emotionally attached to, that help make a house a home. Cards made for me by my nieces ten years ago are in their 4th home and will go wherever I go.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelica666
Hello everyone,

Thank you

Angelica x
We didn't bring anything over with us, mainly due to the fact we still had our house in the UK and my husband was staying there (short term, long story). We enjoyed furnishing our house in Australia and as anywhere there is a huge range in prices and quality. Furniture from the UK does not always suit the style of house here, for example most houses seem to have built in wardrobes, our rental also had a dishwasher.

Some examples of prices

Our first small tv - $199, our new plasma $2000
Our first washer - $499 (rubbish) so our new one $1399 (brill)
Lounge suites range from $800 up to megabucks
Beds - from $400 up to $3000 ish or more
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Ship everything and if you dont want it donate it to charity shops here, sell it here or throw it in the bin here.

We have used everything. TV`s work fine.

Phones are the only things that didnt work for some reason.

Saved a fortune shipping it all. Furniture seems cheaper here but nothing like your own stuff around you.

Mick
Old Dec 30th 2007, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

fific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to all

agree completely we shipped half of our stuff and have spent the first four months shopping for new things - am so sick of shopping and saying - where are our place mats, frying pans, cushions, spare bedding ......the list goes on - in hindsight would have brought the lot except for kids beds which were on their last legs and saved myself the grief of car boot sales which left me feeling slightly done over.

Hard to judge real cost of living as we are still using Uk money as well as our earnings - finding it odd being paid fortnightly as that means one of us gets paid each week - sounds good but hard to work out how much youve spent that month and have left.

I am in the transition phase of not converting any more but still not sure how to work out what's expensive - $99 for a desk sounds cheap, $35 for a cushion feels really expensive - I talk to ozzies and they say no thats the right price.....

Fific

Originally Posted by mand8002
We didn't bring anything over with us, mainly due to the fact we still had our house in the UK and my husband was staying there (short term, long story). We enjoyed furnishing our house in Australia and as anywhere there is a huge range in prices and quality. Furniture from the UK does not always suit the style of house here, for example most houses seem to have built in wardrobes, our rental also had a dishwasher.

Some examples of prices

Our first small tv - $199, our new plasma $2000
Our first washer - $499 (rubbish) so our new one $1399 (brill)
Lounge suites range from $800 up to megabucks
Beds - from $400 up to $3000 ish or more
Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:03 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
Ship everything and if you dont want it donate it to charity shops here, sell it here or throw it in the bin here.

We have used everything. TV`s work fine.

Phones are the only things that didnt work for some reason.

Saved a fortune shipping it all. Furniture seems cheaper here but nothing like your own stuff around you.

Mick
Hi Hants family...fellow Basingstoke tribe here, well Hook actually!! We are moving out to Sydney end of March and will be doing exactly as you suggested, plus my company is paying for it anyway!! Be living on blow up beds in rental until all the stuff arrives but it will save us a small fortune in initial costs.
The only thing I won't be taking is the washing machine, I suspect it won't last the transit to well!! So we will sell it here on ebay and buy a new one when we get out there!