Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

costing the price of setting up a home in OZ

costing the price of setting up a home in OZ

Old Apr 19th 2003, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Lynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really nice
Default costing the price of setting up a home in OZ

hi all,

Does anyone know a good site that could give us a list of prices of household item's ie-Beds, sofa's etc etc..

We are not planning to take anything with us but our personal stuff.

Anyone have any view's on this. It's my husband idea not to take anything, but i'm not to sure!

Thanks x
Old Apr 19th 2003, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Welcome to the indecisive club! We have had this going over in our minds for months. Still can't decide what to do for the best.

Posted a thread, '' lump it or dump it'' about a week ago if you can find it. Loads of helpful people - thanks all - replied but still unsure what to do.

Sorry I have been of no help to you. Let us know what you do decide.

Pott.
Old Apr 19th 2003, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

MaggieLou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: costing the price of setting up a home in OZ

Hi, well I am for dumping everything but kids toys, beds and personal bits, coz feel sure my stuff will not "match" our new house or style in Oz. And most things are about 10 years old now - so time for a change.
Maggie Lou
Old Apr 20th 2003, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

liz and mark is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
we are leaving everything but cd's records, photos, few personal bits and a few of the kids bits. We know we are going to brisbane and staying with a friend of hubbys but thats about it at the moment. So we will just start again, gives me agood excuse to go shopping, not that i need one.

Liz and Mark
Old Apr 20th 2003, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

we have crammed the cases full of personal items, cds etc. we plan to start from scratch. if it means going round the second hands shops so be it. we will make do until we are settled properly. it takes time for goods to be shipped over anyway, so we would have to purchase certain things to begin with.
Old Apr 20th 2003, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Hi, we've done the move and been here for a year now. We got rid of mostly everything, but to be honest its taken me about a year to 'restock'!! Its amazing the things you miss, but thank god for Kmart, they have everything to do with household stuff in there and quite reasonable as well. The furniture here is lovely too, none of that MFI crap, its all made for you and solid wood, the only trouble is you have to wait a bloody long time for it, but its worth it as they stain it any colour you want so its pretty easy to get it all matching.

If we had to do it all again I think I would have brought a lot more with me, maybe things like kitchen utensils I miss, but there is nothing you can't get here really, just missed the familiarity of it all, if you know what i mean. Still after a year now things are looking more cosy now we have bought some furniture and its now feeling like ours and is no longer just our new stuff.

Mandy
Old Apr 20th 2003, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There

I agree with Maggie lou.
Here in the uk we seem to make our homes cosy and perhaps a bit too cluttered because of the amount of time we seem to spend indoors. where as my brother who lives in Perth and all his in laws and friends seem to have less furniture, with just one of the rooms done up cosy and special. They spend more time out doors or in the sun room chilling etc. As the house styles can differ greatly then perhaps different types of furntiure would suit better than our uk stuff.
Im bringing beds (2) all children things (toys etc)
linen and towels, electrical gadgets, personal affects and all hubby,s tools, lawnmowers etc. No wardrobes or fridges etc.

Cheers Booboo
Old Apr 20th 2003, 5:07 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Cool garden tools etc,

If you are bringing ,garden tools, lawn mowers bikes etc into the country, make sure they are totally clean ,i have seen people get very upset when they get hit with a bill from AQUIS [quarantine] for additional cleaning,,........MM
Old Apr 20th 2003, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Lynn W
hi all,

Does anyone know a good site that could give us a list of prices of household item's ie-Beds, sofa's etc etc..

Anyone have any view's on this. It's my husband idea not to take anything, but i'm not to sure!

Thanks x
Hi Lynn

Here's Pott's thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=146566

Regards

Terry
Old Apr 20th 2003, 5:47 pm

kevwalt is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we will be taking most of our stuff, not because its expensive or anything like that but I'm sure I've read quite a bit on this forum from people who really regret not taking their stuff with them.

Also if you are only taking a small amount of stuff, will you not have to arrange shipping anyway. So I feel that we might as well take most of it with us.

Just a thought.

Kate
Old Apr 20th 2003, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

springflower will become famous soon enough

hi all,

Thanks x
Hi
Heres a site I found for WA for household stuff.

www.pamsfurniture.com.au

Jan
Old Apr 20th 2003, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,

Thanks x
Try this old familiar one

www.ikea.com.au
Old Apr 20th 2003, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

This Link has lots of links for imigrants to Aus. Near the bottom is a list of shops to compare prices.

You can normally guess a Aus web site address it's normally www.shopname.com.au so Coles is www.coles.com.au

Mike.