British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Cost of Tank Water ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cost-tank-water-304807/)

jwinch May 23rd 2005 10:39 pm

Cost of Tank Water ?

Can anyone on tankwater let me know how much it costs to have water delivered when your tanks run out?

Thanks

hevs May 23rd 2005 11:25 pm

Re: Cost of Tank Water ?

For a tanker load its $75, her in s/e Melbourne. That fills 2 very empty medium tanks (i think 20,000 liters) and the rest tops up the pool (very important if you have one otherwise the pump burns out :o :rolleyes: )

MrsDagboy May 24th 2005 2:38 am

We got a load of water for our new pool a couple of months back, from memory it cost $160 for the load :scared: :eek: . But that single load more than half filled our pool which is 75,000 litres, so it must have been about 40,000 litres?

Not cheap!

ABCDiamond May 24th 2005 2:56 am

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
We got a load of water for our new pool a couple of months back, from memory it cost $160 for the load :scared: :eek: . But that single load more than half filled our pool which is 75,000 litres, so it must have been about 40,000 litres?

Not cheap!

Compared to local Tap Water at $49 for 98,000 litres !

jwinch May 24th 2005 3:01 am

Thanks everyone

Just got in from work, whilst there i phoned a couple of companies $110 for 10,000 ltrs was quoted by all :scared:

The kids have offered to stop washing to save water !

Megalania May 24th 2005 5:02 am

Originally Posted by jwinch
Thanks everyone

Just got in from work, whilst there i phoned a couple of companies $110 for 10,000 ltrs was quoted by all :scared:

The kids have offered to stop washing to save water !

First you bathe in it, then you boil it up and wash with it, then you use it to water the fruit trees.

hevs May 24th 2005 6:08 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Compared to local Tap Water at $49 for 98,000 litres !

Its a bit of a difference. However as we only need a couple of loads a year it works out much cheaper than being on mains:)

jad n rich May 24th 2005 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Megalania
First you bathe in it, then you boil it up and wash with it, then you use it to water the fruit trees.

And after 6 months of that you sell up and move back to a house with a water supply :D

Flushing the loo only if you HAD to was the worst bit :eek: :D

Badge May 24th 2005 7:02 am

Originally Posted by hevs
Its a bit of a difference. However as we only need a couple of loads a year it works out much cheaper than being on mains:)

I was wondering about this - the cost of water.

Hevs is it cheaper for you because you don't have to pay standing charges?

I filled up a 35,000l pool and it cost me nothing like the prices other people mention, I'll have to dig out the paper.

You have to flush your toilet once in a while on septics.

Badge

PS The chief of staff plugged the washing machine exhaust in to our garden hose and watered the plants yesterday. I was impressed with all the jiggery-pokery. :D

hevs May 24th 2005 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Badge

Hevs is it cheaper for you because you don't have to pay standing charges?

Its cheaper cos i don't pay for water. (unless delivered) I pay $12 per quarter for drainage.

You have to flush your toilet once in a while on septics.
What do you mean:confused: We flush after every use, just like normal, we have those half flush toilets....

hevs May 24th 2005 8:09 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich
And after 6 months of that you sell up and move back to a house with a water supply :D

Flushing the loo only if you HAD to was the worst bit

Bullmud :rolleyes: :p :D :D

cresta57 May 24th 2005 8:28 am

We paid $150 for 18,000 litres late last year. Prices vary season to season it should be cheaper at the moment as there's been 6 weeks of rain here in SE QLD. If your tanks are dry already after the recent rain it's going to cost you a fortune this winter :eek:

lesleys May 24th 2005 9:12 am

It's $90-$105 per load where we are. It was only $80 last year.

Lesley

jwinch May 24th 2005 10:18 am

Originally Posted by cresta57
We paid $150 for 18,000 litres late last year. Prices vary season to season it should be cheaper at the moment as there's been 6 weeks of rain here in SE QLD. If your tanks are dry already after the recent rain it's going to cost you a fortune this winter :eek:

We are still only in the process of having them put in at the moment - We have got to provide a temporary supply for the builders

cresta57 May 24th 2005 11:30 am

Originally Posted by jwinch
We are still only in the process of having them put in at the moment - We have got to provide a temporary supply for the builders

Strange set up :( all the builders we work for provide the temporary water for their subbies. Don't let the builder put water in and bill you for it, some have an agreement with the rural firies who come along and fill your tank with nice water pumped from a local stream or dam. :eek:
We moved into our house last May and it didn't rain at all until the end of September we bought water about 4 or 5 times the last being just before the heavy rain as Murphies Law dictates
Are you having plastic, concrete or zinc alume?