$900 to $1000
0%
$1000 and above
27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Cost of Short Term Accomodation

Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:59 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Question Cost of Short Term Accomodation

Seems to be very topical with the recent exchange rate fluctuations and differences in UK to Oz property markets ie one in boom the other in bust.

Perhaps for the extremes of below $400 and above $1000 people could add why the difference? ie "tent site" or "company paid so stayed in hotel". Maybe even tips on what they could pass on to people about too arrive?

Key things I think people should budget for 4 to 6 weeks if looking in the more popular long term rental markets. We have had some friends crashing with us (lounge floor) because they did not budget properly and ran out of time ie 2 weeks looking equates too 2 full days as not every day of the week places were open for inspection.

Please no advertising its just for information purposes to people who need it. And I need my lounge back:-)

Last edited by Geelong Gent; Oct 18th 2009 at 9:04 am. Reason: Worked out how too create a poll :-)
Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:16 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Short Term Accomodation

Wonder if any families are posting because I can't see anything on the web below $800 within 40km of Melbourne. That is for 2 adults and 4 kids.

Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly can't remember. Can't have been too bad because I wouldn't have paid it. Does that help?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

We paid $1500 per week for 6 weeks (end Nov throug to early Jan).

Fully furnished 3 bedroom townhouse in Williamstown.

Was a great starting place.

At the time we got $2.50 to pound, so equivalent of 600 pound per week felt ok.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

2 weeks, serviced apartment with parking in Brisbane - $100/night This was at the start of last month.

We paid a lower than advertised rate through wotif.com, and also were upgraded from a 1-bed apartment to a 2-bed "heritage" townhouse which was lovely.

If anyone needs a recommendation for a truly lovely place in Brisbane that has a bit of character and is good value, let me know and I'll pass on the details.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

Hi Cookiestar,
How are things? Hope you have settled and loving the aussie lifestyle ie wine and more wine!
That is a good price for a two bedroomed apartment, always ideal to have a look around and go on recommendations from other people.
We charge $85 per night, in line with some hotel rooms, like everywhere there is good and bad best of luck with your search
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:00 am
Has left the building

Someone is now offering 50% discount for bookings 9 months in advance. Check with Kate at moving to melbourne
Old Oct 26th 2009, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

We came to Cairns in low season & were lucky to find a holiday let half price for 6 weeks. It was advertised in the local paper.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 9:56 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

We paid $700 p.w. 2 years ago in Kallista in the Dandenong ranges. We couldnt find anything cheaper at the time.

Things have changed a lot in the last 2 years, and there is more availability and it is all a bit more affordable, but its still expensive when you consider that 3-4 weeks is about the minimum you need to rent before finding more permanent rental accomodation.

Also a factor that a lot of new migrants forget, is that its a great idea moving in Nov/Dec/Jan when the weather is crap in the UK, but its peak season here, and prices are at their highest.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:01 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ValeSpark

At the time we got $2.50 to pound, so equivalent of 600 pound per week felt ok.
Thats another thing to think about as well at the moment. At todays exchange rate, that would have been 850 pounds per week. A difference of 1500 pounds over the 6 week period
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

We paid $1500 per week when we came over and that was 5 years ago
We find that most people want a rental around $500 per week, unfortunately there are not many of them at all especially when it is for a family and they want to be in Melbourne CBD. We have a range of property owners on the site and their prices range from a 1 bed in Monbulk from $380 per week (excellent value and not many out there in this price range) up to a 3 bed in Mt Martha for $500 per night. I think anything over $1000 is quite expensive but then we do have to remember that it is holiday accommodation and most people (Aussies) usually only book for a couple of nights, so $500 for a two night stay on the beach front isn't bad at all but for 4 weeks ouch
People also have to remember that even the camp sites are going to cost more than $500 most are around $150pn + in peak season.
I get a lot of people email me with their budget for rental accommodation and from the hunting around I do I would say the average price is around $120 per night. The CBD probably around $150per night. This is Melbourne prices, I would love to find out if it is cheaper in other states
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew

Also a factor that a lot of new migrants forget, is that its a great idea moving in Nov/Dec/Jan when the weather is crap in the UK, but its peak season here, and prices are at their highest.

Unless you are moving to FNQ!
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:19 am
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
[/COLOR]

Unless you are moving to FNQ!
Thats true, but I deal with a number flower growers up there, and they are always telling me about the wonderful spiders, snakes & crocs they regularly come across in their daily routine

I think i'll stick to Philip Island or Swan Hill thanks
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by furkew
Thats true, but I deal with a number flower growers up there, and they are always telling me about the wonderful spiders, snakes & crocs they regularly come across in their daily routine

I think i'll stick to Philip Island or Swan Hill thanks
A colleague was telling me this morning, that as she drove to work, she caught sight of something in the corner of her eye & looked round to see a huge wolf spider on the window beside her. Thankfully it was on the outside but she nearly crashed the car anyway! See what you are missing?
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:54 am
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
A colleague was telling me this morning, that as she drove to work, she caught sight of something in the corner of her eye & looked round to see a huge wolf spider on the window beside her. Thankfully it was on the outside but she nearly crashed the car anyway! See what you are missing?
Not the ideal way to start your day when you are on your way to work, and not quite awake probably.

My son came back today from playing at a friends this afternoon with wonderful stories of how there was a red belly http://www.australianfauna.com/redbelliedblacksnake.php in the growing tunnels this arvo. (it got dissected with a spade I believe)

Dont you just love Australia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.