cost of shipping furniture

Wikiposts

cost of shipping furniture

Old Sep 3rd 2003, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Dee_e56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cost of shipping furniture

Hi

Can anyone give me an idea of the cost of shipping furnitue from an average 3 bedroom sized house house from UK to NZ
How long does it normally take for the furniture to arrive in NZ.

any info will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Dee
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

zander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: cost of shipping furniture

Originally posted by Dee_e56
Hi

Can anyone give me an idea of the cost of shipping furnitue from an average 3 bedroom sized house house from UK to NZ

Thanks
Dee
I got guesstimates from a couple of removal firms based on a 3 bed house . They came in at around £2500 but it depends what you're taking.
I was told they charge by the amount of space taken up rather than weight, so if you take large items of furniture these can be filled with other goods to save space. Shipping time about 6-9 weeks depending on shipping schedules.

One company was John Mason I think, can't remember the other.

Hope this helps some.

Alex
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Default thanks

Thanks Alex

Thats a great help. I've heard some horror prices, thats sounds a little more like the truth.

Dee
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 11:49 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default Re: thanks

Thanks Alex

Thats a great help. I've heard some horror prices, thats sounds a little more like the truth.

Dee

Lots more info on lots of companies if you do a search on this site.

Many horror stories also re Avalon and John Mason so read the lot:lecture: :lecture:
Old Sep 4th 2003, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

S/pick is an unknown quantity at this point

We've just returned from holiday and opened our quotes for a 4 bedroom house which contains over 1500 records,300 cd's, guitars, surfboard loads of towns and furniture and was quite shocked at the difference.

Britannia £3600 + 2.7% insurance
PSS £2615 + 2.5% insurance

Both companies were from the croydon branches, the man from Britannia was'nt very helpful with my question, but the man from PSS was very good and professional. By the way these quotes were for a full 880c feet container. They also provided a second quote for stuff I was'nt sure about taking and that was half a container at £2200.

Samantha
Old Sep 4th 2003, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: cost of shipping furniture

Hi

Thanks
Dee

Bloody hell, don't let Mr Mover see this post, Dee. He'll have you down in his order book before you know what has hit you. Whatever you do, don't even say what town you live in or he'll be bumping his van up on the curb outside your place by nine tomorrow morning.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Talking

lol, unless mr mover wants to come to Switzerland I think im safe for now. Thanks for that information Samantha I think half would be enough I have reduced alot of my house items over the last few years with moving from place to place, just keeping the good and sentimental items now. I uesd to keep all sorts of rubbish but thankfully I have got out of that habbit now.
Do either of your recomendations have a web site I can look on.

thanks again
Dee
Old Sep 4th 2003, 1:48 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

lol, unless mr mover wants to come to Switzerland I think im safe for now. Thanks for that information Samantha I think half would be enough I have reduced alot of my house items over the last few years with moving from place to place, just keeping the good and sentimental items now. I uesd to keep all sorts of rubbish but thankfully I have got out of that habbit now.
Do either of your recomendations have a web site I can look on.

thanks again
Dee

I would think £2500-3000 is in the right ball park. We used Avalon, but also thought PSS did a good quote. Pickfords as always were the most expensive.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice

Originally posted by southerner
I would think £2500-3000 is in the right ball park. We used Avalon, but also thought PSS did a good quote. Pickfords as always were the most expensive.
Hi we are off to Perth soon ,we are using Pickfords its costing us £3000 for a 20'container the first quote was higher you just have to let them know you have had lower quotes and they will normally match it, good luck to everyone going to Australia
sue&bob
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:10 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by S/pick
We've just returned from holiday and opened our quotes for a 4 bedroom house which contains over 1500 records,300 cd's, guitars, surfboard loads of towns and furniture and was quite shocked at the difference.

Britannia £3600 + 2.7% insurance
PSS £2615 + 2.5% insurance

Both companies were from the croydon branches, the man from Britannia was'nt very helpful with my question, but the man from PSS was very good and professional. By the way these quotes were for a full 880c feet container. They also provided a second quote for stuff I was'nt sure about taking and that was half a container at £2200.

Samantha
Samantha just a thought read your quotes closely. we are going with PSS as like you we were taken by the professionalism BUT a dedicated one person container is 1050 cu ft a 20 ft container and we were quoted just under £3,000 door to door with 2.5% insurance. perhaps you are not getting a dedicated container - which is OK if that is what you want but it usually takes a lot longer on the trip as they have to wait for the balance and deliver to two places???

I may be wrong but every quote I had (8 of them) advised that a dedicated 20 ft container took 1000 to 1050 cuft capacity. PSS also advised we could pay £100 less and go via the Panama Canal and talke longer if we wanted to.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

S/pick is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had a look at the paperwork.
20' Reefer load door to door £2654 + 2.5% insurance (8 to 10 weeks)
608 cubic feet door to door £2194 + 2.5% insurance (5 to 7 weeks)
2 weeks FREE storage in UK
Storage in NZ $37 per week
All to Auckland, but an extra £60 to Tauranga