Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of Shipping four legged friends

Cost of Shipping four legged friends

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

bri.thomson will become famous soon enough
Default Cost of Shipping four legged friends

Hoping all people out there who have taken their dogs out with them can give me an approximate price of what it cost to ship them out?

Also experiences gained and what "Shipper" can anyone recommend.

A big PLEASE for some pointers.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Shipping four legged friends

jets4pets was by far the cheapest for me shipping my 2 spinger spaniels...

Had a quotes for just over £2500 (for both dogs, from edinburgh to melbourne) which includes the flight, UK airport handling charges,Fuel & War Risk surcharges, vet sealing fees at Heathrow, the import permits, application for the export permits, the animal reception centre at Heathrow, and the airline approved containers.

I'm responsible for blood tests etc at this end which is fine because my vet is a government vet, and also for quarantine fees which have to be paid in australia anyway

was told by a friend who shipped her dogs to canada to be wary of companies who bill you to keep your dogs in their kennels for a couple of days before flying out.... there's no need for them to do this apparantly!

f
x
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hi YoSemite
Thanks for this info.
I will have to try the one you have mentioned.
I was quoted £1800 each for my Labrador and my small Springer and that was me dropping them off at Heathrow.

I already have their main Rabies test done and they have passed that one, so onto the next one we will go!

The vet sealing prior to departure was going to be more on top.

I will have to give jets4pets a shout and see what they can do for me.
What time of year are your quotes to come across with your dogs?
This was for an April-May departure 2006.

Time to do some serious shopping around for a competitive price.

Originally Posted by YoSemite

Had a quotes for just over £2500 (for both dogs, from edinburgh to melbourne) which includes the flight, UK airport handling charges,Fuel & War Risk surcharges, vet sealing fees at Heathrow, the import permits, application for the export permits, the animal reception centre at Heathrow, and the airline approved containers.

I'm responsible for blood tests etc at this end which is fine because my vet is a government vet, and also for quarantine fees which have to be paid in australia anyway

was told by a friend who shipped her dogs to canada to be wary of companies who bill you to keep your dogs in their kennels for a couple of days before flying out.... there's no need for them to do this apparantly!

f
x

Last edited by bri.thomson; Dec 2nd 2005 at 8:14 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:17 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bri.thomson
Hoping all people out there who have taken their dogs out with them can give me an approximate price of what it cost to ship them out?

Look here www.airpets.co.uk and we used them and frankly they were amazing and made a difficult process very easy indeed. I can only recommend them.

As to the cost of shipping a 4 legged friend - that would be an arm and a leg

Once you factor in quarantine costs, vaccinations and really start of the process to the end you are talking about £3k-£3.5k for a large dog.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:34 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoSemite

f
x
Do you happen to have a contact number or web address for them. We're in Dundee and have been recommended to use Pet Travel Services in Dunfermline. Had an initial quote from Airpets who quote £1770 + £450 (Edinburgh to Heathrow).

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Centurion
Yes I guess you are right about the cost if you take it from the start, the applications, blood tests etc......

I just think its the airlines having a laugh at us!
We get a seat, some food and some fluid and it costs +/- £600 - £800. My poor pals get stuck in a box in the boot and to add insult to (wallet)Injury, they then charge me three times more for them.

It can't be right can it?

Originally Posted by Centurion
Look here www.airpets.co.uk and we used them and frankly they were amazing and made a difficult process very easy indeed. I can only recommend them.

As to the cost of shipping a 4 legged friend - that would be an arm and a leg

Once you factor in quarantine costs, vaccinations and really start of the process to the end you are talking about £3k-£3.5k for a large dog.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Stich

The No for jet4pets is 0113 239 7287

You are getting quoted same prices as me

What type of Dog are you taking over with you?
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:51 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Stich

The No for jet4pets is 0113 239 7287

You are getting quoted same prices as me

What type of Dog are you taking over with you?
Stitch is an abadoned bit of this and that dog. His mother was terrier and the dad must have been collie cross lab. He's short haired and the size of a collie. The price quoted didn't include all the bloods etc but we knew that. Will try jet4pets. Is it true that they can get their boosters without the Lepto. Ours is due his yearly boosters but there's a chance we could be away within the 6 months.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Best to speak to someone official about this one The only thing I know is that they require a blood test for it 30 days prior to export? They have to have a negative result. It is not recommended to vaccinate within 6 months of export because a high antibody count means they cannot be imported
Check with a vet ?
Maybe after you get the blood test 30 days prior to travel you can then get him vaccinated? But I don't know!!
I am just now down in Spain and trying to get this done with the language barrier is absolutely fantastic.
Originally Posted by Stitch
Stitch is an abadoned bit of this and that dog. His mother was terrier and the dad must have been collie cross lab. He's short haired and the size of a collie. The price quoted didn't include all the bloods etc but we knew that. Will try jet4pets. Is it true that they can get their boosters without the Lepto. Ours is due his yearly boosters but there's a chance we could be away within the 6 months.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 9:10 pm
Madwoman

katyjoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya

We shipped over 1 dalmatian and two cats and it cost just below £3000. We used Golden Arrow Shippers and they were fantasic!!!!

Don't forget to allow for the quarantine costs when you get them out of quarantine, it cost just over $1700 for all my babies. We shipped them to Melbourne and the Spotswood quarantine centre is excellent. They survived and are loving Australia.

Just a note, you get to keep their shipping containers so when you pick them up make sure you have room for them in the car. We still use the cats containers to transport them to and from vets and when moving so they have come in really useful! We got rid of Jasper's as his was very big, (struggled to fit that one into a 4wd).

The good thing about golden arrow were the containers they built for them, they had water bowls attatched on the inside and nozzle for putting water in on the outside. My dog did lose condition and weight, i think it was the stress of being seperated from us but he is now in the best condition and weight ever. The cats have settled and become even more freindly.

I would definetly do it, don't leave them behind, as long as you budget and plan they will thankyou for it once they are here!

We had a very good expereince with Golden Arrow and shipping our pets. I would highly recommend them. Before we shipped them i read this site and did some research and it would appear that they were the most used when i was shipping my babies in Nov 04 and come highly recommended by most!

Good luck with it all.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

KatyJoy
If I cannot afford to take the 4 legged kids of the family, then all the 2 legged versions stay at home too!!
Its that simple, we are all in it together, but I think for the price they should be getting a business class seat and I could wonder up to the front of the plane and help them with their alcholic beverages

Originally Posted by katyjoy
Hiya

We shipped over 1 dalmatian and two cats and it cost just below £3000. We used Golden Arrow Shippers and they were fantasic!!!!

Don't forget to allow for the quarantine costs when you get them out of quarantine, it cost just over $1700 for all my babies. We shipped them to Melbourne and the Spotswood quarantine centre is excellent. They survived and are loving Australia.

Just a note, you get to keep their shipping containers so when you pick them up make sure you have room for them in the car. We still use the cats containers to transport them to and from vets and when moving so they have come in really useful! We got rid of Jasper's as his was very big, (struggled to fit that one into a 4wd).

The good thing about golden arrow were the containers they built for them, they had water bowls attatched on the inside and nozzle for putting water in on the outside. My dog did lose condition and weight, i think it was the stress of being seperated from us but he is now in the best condition and weight ever. The cats have settled and become even more freindly.

I would definetly do it, don't leave them behind, as long as you budget and plan they will thankyou for it once they are here!

We had a very good expereince with Golden Arrow and shipping our pets. I would highly recommend them. Before we shipped them i read this site and did some research and it would appear that they were the most used when i was shipping my babies in Nov 04 and come highly recommended by most!

Good luck with it all.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Polyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stitch

Cheers

Ginny
No problem. Lepto is the trad diluent in the booster, but the other bit can be made up with Water For Injection/Saline - but remind your vet (....twice), we can be forgetful
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

lock collector is a jewel in the roughlock collector is a jewel in the roughlock collector is a jewel in the roughlock collector is a jewel in the rough

We have what must be the worlds most expensive dog, added to which while highly decorative she's daft and quite useless (but we love her)

We used airpets who were very helpful, the problem we had was that our stupid mutt (dalmation) kept giving false positives on the blood tests, and the results have an expiry date so you need negatives on all of them within a certain timeframe, so as we got her through one lot, another which she had previously passed would expire, it got to the point that I was having blood samples motorcycle couriered to the government testing lab ......

Anyway we finally got there and had all clear on all tests when she got her tail shut in a door and nearly chopped off :scared: we had our vet patch her up and she was sent three days later, just within the timeframe.

As to cost, it was about GBP 1600 for the flight, the quarantine etc and the internal flight in Aus cost about US$1000 or so and the UK vet bills and blood tests etc set up back nearly GBP 900 at the end of the day ....

Paul
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i'm a bit peeved at the cost but like you bri... it's all or nothing!

i told my dad abou taking the dogs and he just didn't understand why i was willing to spend all that money on a couple of dogs.... and this man has had dogs all his life! heartless begger hehehehe

I've had quotes from:

ParAir
Jets4Pets
Pet exports
Golden Arrow
Animal Airlines
James Cargo

and another couple i can't remember. there was 1 that came in cheaper than J4P but they sounded a bit dodgy and wanted me to do all the paperwork (which kinda defeats the purpose of paying someone to do it don't you think!). all quotes were for flying out around the 10th January - Edinburgh to Melbourne

they guy who's dealing with my quote is bryan email: bryan.love @jets4pets.com and i'll let you all know how i get on with them.

ginny: re your dogs boosters.... i was in a similar position back in may when i took my dogs for their boosters back in may... lepto is quite high in my area so vet contacted DEFRA who confirmed that we'd be better off getting it done since plan was to ship in january. because it was on the 6month border they went for the "get it done" vote.... had it been earlier they would have told us not to do it. i would defo speak to your vet about this one.

i did consider trying to pass my dogs off as seeing eye dogs or hearing dogs etc..... that way they could travel up top with me.... but my dogs, being typical spaniels, are total nutters so that would never work. worth a try if you've got a retriever or labrador tho eh!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

f
x
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 12:40 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

I just collected my dog poppy from quarantine in Sydney yesterday and they have done a great job of looking after her - shes thinner but her coats in excellent condition - she was basically just fussy over her food there and also the stress of being seperated plus heat makes her lose her appetite - but she wolfed her dinner down last night so it won't be long b4 she puts some weight on again. It cost $760 for her 30 days in quarantine which you pay when you collect them. We drove down to Sydney from Brisbane instead of putting poppy through another plane journey - the drive was very long and tiring but at least poppy was back with us and not getting stressed being put on a plane - the girl in quarantine witheld her meal in the am so she was not carsick.

We used pet travel services in Dunfermline and they were excellent!
To the poster who said to beware of companies who recommend boarding before the flights i'd say that this is an excellent way for your dog to get used to their crate and also its better that they are given their frontline and drontal on different days before flying. The cost of 4 nights boarding was included in our quote - it also meant poppy was not getting stressed at the sight of us packing up to leave. Pet travel services were excellent in that ALL the paperwork was taken care of and they also answered all my silly neurotic questions!
Our bill was 1775 pounds for her paperwork, boarding and flights etc. On top of that we had the vet fees for the blood tests etc (dosen't have to be a government vet - we used our local vet no problems). Blood tests plus frontline cost 80 pound at usual local vet. I then paid the standard quarantine release fee yesterday of approx $760 (off the top of my head).

All in all they were excellent and poppy got here with no hitches safely - she is loving exploring her new home!

Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.