Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

cost of shipping a 20ft container from uk???

cost of shipping a 20ft container from uk???

Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

jollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura about
Default cost of shipping a 20ft container from uk???

Hi, hubby and i are still in talking stages and trying to price a move, however i feel like i am banging my head against a brick wall trying to get a rough idea of the price to ship a 20ft container from u.k to Perth!! I can appreciate that they need to know the weight and even if my furniture were alredy packed i still would not have the means to weigh my bed or sofa!! Anyones personel experiences that they would like to share would be appreciated.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: cost of shipping a 20ft container from uk???

Originally Posted by jollyswagman
Hi, hubby and i are still in talking stages and trying to price a move, however i feel like i am banging my head against a brick wall trying to get a rough idea of the price to ship a 20ft container from u.k to Perth!! I can appreciate that they need to know the weight and even if my furniture were alredy packed i still would not have the means to weigh my bed or sofa!! Anyones personel experiences that they would like to share would be appreciated.
There is loads on here on this subject if you do a search but from what I can gather the price varies from approx £3500 to £5000. Things like if you pack yourself, which company you use and how much insurance you want can affect the price. I dont think it's priced on weight so much as cubic square foot of space. Sorry I'm not much help but it's a general idea.
Tracie
Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

surfsup is an unknown quantity at this point

Not one of our shipper quotes have asked for weights!!! very strange. Pickfords and GB Liners have quoted us just over £3500 door to door and these seem to be cheapest. This is for sydeny nsw though but bound to be similar.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

to get an idea a seach would be an idea - as previous stated.

but we are paying £3500 for a 20 ft container from here to Perth, then there's insurance on top which will probably add another £500
Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

sg1964 has a spectacular aura aboutsg1964 has a spectacular aura aboutsg1964 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by surfsup
Not one of our shipper quotes have asked for weights!!! very strange. Pickfords and GB Liners have quoted us just over £3500 door to door and these seem to be cheapest. This is for sydeny nsw though but bound to be similar.
am in logistics/shipping, and weight is not an issue unless you were trying to load about 25 tonne of personal effects into a 20ft container....

sg1964
Old Aug 15th 2006, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

You need to haggle with them after initial price, they always bring it down.
We had 3 shippers round and first price for shipping a 40ft containner from scotland to melbourne was £7600, now we have agreed £5960 with another company, which is a big diff. And that is for sole use containner. If you do a groupage, you;ll get a cheaper quote again.

sj
Old Aug 15th 2006, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Auzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really nice

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne
You need to haggle with them after initial price, they always bring it down.
We had 3 shippers round and first price for shipping a 40ft containner from scotland to melbourne was £7600, now we have agreed £5960 with another company, which is a big diff. And that is for sole use containner. If you do a groupage, you;ll get a cheaper quote again.

sj

That expensive............ my friends have agreed on the sole use of a 20ft container from Dundee to Melbourne (all packed by the company) ........... sorry I've just looked at your thread again and you have a 40 ft container.

Out of interest, what company are you using and where in Scotland are you??
Old Aug 15th 2006, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sg1964
am in logistics/shipping, and weight is not an issue unless you were trying to load about 25 tonne of personal effects into a 20ft container....

sg1964
thanks for reply, i have done a few google searches and i have been much better informed on here! Great site!!
Old Aug 15th 2006, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Auzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really nice

Originally Posted by Auzziebound
That expensive............ my friends have agreed on the sole use of a 20ft container from Dundee to Melbourne (all packed by the company) ........... sorry I've just looked at your thread again and you have a 40 ft container.

Also you must have heaps of stuff if you need a 40ft container........ are you taken you house with you???LOL
Old Aug 16th 2006, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Auzziebound

we're using doree bonner, we r in north lanarkshire, they are based in clydebank. We are using about 1900 cubic sq ft, so about 3/4 fill a 40ft containner. We are taking everything, we only moved into this house 2.5 yrs ago so mostly all new things, and have put deposit down for 2 new suites as thought more expensive in aus, plus there's our 2 kids and all the stuff that goes along with them, and I am a hoarder, well have been getting rid of old things of recent but i just keep thinking of the lady who done the car boot sale, got rid of everything then bought new in aus and paid 3x as much.

sarah-jayne
Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:55 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

£3590 from Hants to Brisbane with Reeves Brittania... and weight is irrelevant (if only that were true for us needing to go on a diet )
Old Sep 8th 2006, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Location: North East - planning to move to Southern Queensland
BillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud of

we're using doree bonner, we r in north lanarkshire, they are based in clydebank. We are using about 1900 cubic sq ft, so about 3/4 fill a 40ft containner. We are taking everything, we only moved into this house 2.5 yrs ago so mostly all new things, and have put deposit down for 2 new suites as thought more expensive in aus, plus there's our 2 kids and all the stuff that goes along with them, and I am a hoarder, well have been getting rid of old things of recent but i just keep thinking of the lady who done the car boot sale, got rid of everything then bought new in aus and paid 3x as much.

sarah-jayne
Can I ask for advice on haggling on price? We think we'll go with Doree Bonner and hadn't thought about asking them to lower the price they quoted. Any tips?
Old Sep 8th 2006, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Blueracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: cost of shipping a 20ft container from uk???

Originally Posted by BillandAbby
Can I ask for advice on haggling on price? We think we'll go with Doree Bonner and hadn't thought about asking them to lower the price they quoted. Any tips?
Hi We had three quotes for a typical 3 bed house move from Southampton to Perth based on a 20ft full load. Our quotes ranged from £3000 - £4000. I haggled and eventually agreed £2900.00 plus a two month storage FOC in the UK. Insurance was 3% of total value of goods (20k = £600.00).

If you do not have your visa yet its worth getting storage this side for a couple of months, as you don't want your worldly goods on a slow boat to Perth if you gedt the dredded thumbs down!!

BR
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:58 pm
ddm
Forum Regular

ddm is an unknown quantity at this point

sarah-jayne
"plus there's our 2 kids and all the stuff that goes along with them" -- sending the kids by container what an excellent idea