British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Cost of a return flight to London from Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cost-return-flight-london-brisbane-941166/)

Brisbannite Oct 18th 2021 8:04 am

Cost of a return flight to London from Brisbane

I checked the cost of a Qantas return flight to London in Jan 2022. For the dates that I entered the
  • outbound flight was $1,047
  • inbound flight was $1,466
Not too bad, quite reasonable all things considered

As I normally ly business class I checked those seats too
  • outbound flight started at $4795
  • inbound flight started at $7,555
That's about twice what I used to pay. Supply and demand has no doubt increased the prices but I'm happy to wait and spend that sum of money on my property until some semblance of normal has returned to ticket prices.

rammygirl Oct 18th 2021 10:25 pm

Re: Cost of a return flight to London from Brisbane

Yes I was looking yesterday at flights Adelaide to Manchester. My lifelong mates from UK have organised a reunion for our 60th year next May. They have paid my share of the accommodation (there are 10 of us) prices didn’t seem too bad considering. Need to do more planning though as just going for a long weekend with mates isn’t sensible! Hubbie will come and we Will probably stay for 6 weeks or so and maybe hop to Europe too. Lots of catching up to do with friends and family……… At least we have been offered a lot of free accommodation, in UK Spain and even on a narrow boat!

themerlin Oct 19th 2021 5:26 am

I just found a flight from Brisbane to London for over AUD 1K, 15 hours layover in HK both directions but still cheap.

Brisbannite Oct 25th 2021 7:20 am

That's very good, layovers are ok if they're that long - gives you a chance to stretch your legs and get some shut eye.

abner Oct 31st 2021 9:56 am

Originally Posted by themerlin (Post 13063136)
I just found a flight from Brisbane to London for over AUD 1K, 15 hours layover in HK both directions but still cheap.

I wouldn't go near HK for a layover, or any other Chinese city. Way too much (i.e. non-zero) random political risk, from a country that clearly has it in for Oz at the moment, and has recent form in exercising "hostage diplomacy".

Great airport, pity about the government.

themerlin Oct 31st 2021 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by abner (Post 13067132)
I wouldn't go near HK for a layover

I think the safest option with l the COVID risk is the direct flight to London.
But then again 17 hours in economy on a Qantas 787 might be worse then a Chinese prison :)

Pollyana Nov 1st 2021 5:41 am

Originally Posted by themerlin (Post 13067303)
I think the safest option with l the COVID risk is the direct flight to London.
But then again 17 hours in economy on a Qantas 787 might be worse then a Chinese prison :)

Its the sheer pleasure of being in the air again that I am looking forward to. I'll take the 17 hours, just get me off the ground.

OzSheila Nov 1st 2021 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 13067331)
Its the sheer pleasure of being in the air again that I am looking forward to. I'll take the 17 hours, just get me off the ground.

Just booked flights to Sydney for Christmas with SIA. I am already imaging myself in tears upon boarding 😂

£2K return so not cheap but having been locked out of the country of your birth for the past 18 months we’ve just had to accept it. One thing was for sure there was no way I was giving Qantas any money given their pathetic inaction during the crisis.

BEVS Nov 1st 2021 6:32 am

I know that all your family are far away so I honestly truly hope you get to make that flight as soon as is possible . I also hope you & yours will find a way for you to stay. Our one planet has become an unpredictable place now so we all need to have our feet firmly where we want them to be.

Beoz Nov 1st 2021 11:21 am

Hopefully those ridiculous targets Qld are touting for international travel don't keep you waiting too long. I am sure they will change those targets as they are unattainable.

Pollyana Nov 1st 2021 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 13067383)
Hopefully those ridiculous targets Qld are touting for international travel don't keep you waiting too long. I am sure they will change those targets as they are unattainable.

I'm aiming for May. Long way off but its a light at the end of the tunnel now. I don't trust Qld to be sorted much before then and can't afford quarantine in either time or money.

There is however a tremendous feeling of relief today that I now know if I HAVE to travel, then I can.

Beoz Nov 1st 2021 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 13067415)
I'm aiming for May. Long way off but its a light at the end of the tunnel now. I don't trust Qld to be sorted much before then and can't afford quarantine in either time or money.

There is however a tremendous feeling of relief today that I now know if I HAVE to travel, then I can.

Indeed. There is now a light. Even though we are free to travel abroad from Sydney there are still a number of road blocks in the way, like COVID testing, but at least exemptions and hotel quarantine are off the table should an emergency dash be needed.

themerlin Nov 2nd 2021 1:29 am

I might be tempted if Emirates fire up the A380s on the Brisbane leg (I'm sure there will be lots of demand), but I hate the newer smaller aircraft.