Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of private schooling in Melbourne

Cost of private schooling in Melbourne

Old Jun 21st 2008, 11:09 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Cost of private schooling in Melbourne

I realise this is a 'how long is a piece of string' type question but I'm trying to get a feel for how much it would cost to put my kids through private education in Melbourne.

Currently, they are 1 1/2 & 2 1/5 and we're about 3-12 months away from arriving.

We're looking at the Mordialloc area of town (give or take).

Can anyone give any advice or indication of the sorts of costs we'll be looking at?

- CDM
Old Jun 21st 2008, 1:06 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of private schooling in Melbourne

Originally Posted by CDM
I realise this is a 'how long is a piece of string' type question but I'm trying to get a feel for how much it would cost to put my kids through private education in Melbourne.

Currently, they are 1 1/2 & 2 1/5 and we're about 3-12 months away from arriving.

Can anyone give any advice or indication of the sorts of costs we'll be looking at?

- CDM
General info:
ELC starts at 3 ends at 4
They have a year between called Prep
Then 12 years

Rate depends on school and level of activities they (your kids) get involved.

We pay about $2K per month per child
Most schools will charge an intro fee ($1400 in our case)

Remember the other fees:
  • Uniforms/School bags
  • School trips
  • Endless fundraising dinners (average $140 per head) or requests for donations

You don't need an expensive 4wd, but no chip on shoulders allowed.

Finally: warning not all schools are worth the money. We are happy with ours but have heard horror stories from parents coming from other so called elite schools.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 8:28 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cost of private schooling in Melbourne

Originally Posted by CDM

- CDM
We live in Mordialloc.

I reckon the nearest private schools are Mentone Girls Grammar School http://www.mentonegirls.vic.edu.au/home or St Bede's http://www.stbedes.melb.catholic.edu.au/

The fees for all completely private schools in Melbourne seem to be about $8000 per year in the early stages to just under $20,000 per year for teenagers.

HTH

Buzzy
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:43 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Bayside and Mordialloc have excellent state schools due to the competition from the private schools. In fact at our kids school there is normally is a huge exodus from the state system at year 5. Not so this year, many parents have opted for state secondary over private as they are so well respected.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Bayside and Mordialloc have excellent state schools due to the competition from the private schools. In fact at our kids school there is normally is a huge exodus from the state system at year 5. Not so this year, many parents have opted for state secondary over private as they are so well respected.

Also, with the huge rises in cost of living many can no longer afford it, thats the case round here, some of the privates that had big wait lists are now advertsing for students.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

If you all do some research you will find you can get your kids a very good education at state schools there are some that offer a mix bag of curriculum that suits your children. some people say state schools are crap some are some are very good, you must look at the Yr12 results for private against state this is the true reflection the results may just surprise you all.

Remember its what is best for your children NOT You, ask the schools what subjects they may provide & if its the best option for the children then its a family decision meaning involve the kids after all they will be attending the school.????
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

Your kids can either go to a public school, catholic school or private school.

Public schools are low cost/free education. Of course you have to pay for uniforms and other type fees but it is minimal.

Catholic schools are generally more expensive than public but not as expensive as private schools. For example, my kids go to a Catholic primary school (Bayside area) and we pay about $1000 per year for both of them.

Private schools range from about $5000 per year to about $20,000 per year. depending on the age of the child and the school. The costs increase as they get to the senior level. The more elite the school the more it costs.

In the mordialloc area there is a boys Catholic school - St. Bede's which starts at year 7. It costs about $3000 per year.

There is also Mentone Grammar (co-ed) and Mentone Girls Grammar. Look at their websites for more info re. fees.

There is also St. Leonards (independent school) which has a campus in Carrum as well as a campus in Brighton.

Try this website for more info:

http://www.australianschoolsdirectory.com.au/

Generally speaking most parents send their kids to either public schools or catholic schools for primary level then maybe private for secondary.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

melbournegirl;

well said i could not have put it better myself, at the end of the day when the kids do there VCE state, catholic, private the results speak for them self, i know private schools doctor the books for exam results to make them look good however the Yr12 VCE exams are the same for all then you can think whats the best all exam results are printed in the newspapers unless a child request not to have theres printed. But if you look well ahead to view all exam results it will give you a better feel for the future.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:48 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
melbournegirl;
i know private schools doctor the books for exam results to make them look good
Hope you can substantiate this claim, especially since you have made it in a public forum.

If they "doctor the results" then what is the point in reading the newspapers?

The point the OP should be aware of is watch out for schools that either filter out students to ensure top results or schools that actively snap up high achievers in the later years and claim all the hard work of other schools - this happens in either public or private. Now how do you find this out? well you get off your rse and visit the schools in your area and use a gut feel for the school.

It does not matter whether it is public or private in terms of getting a good education in Victoria.

It does matter that you choose a school within your means and that you feel comfortable with - the biggest and most important factor being your relationship with the teachers. My view is its a team relationship and if you don't work together your child suffers.

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Yr12 VCE exams are the same for all.
Not particulary a useful comment. Not all students will complete VCE and it does not have any bearing on the rest of school life which is far more important in the development of the child.

As usual you make assumptions based on one variable in the education of youth and make even wider misguided assumptions on intentions of parents with basically more options in life.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

My son attends Catholic School and it is $3500 per year plus books, uniform etc, it is a great school, the children are well educated, and most importantly they love it
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Geelong Gent;

you have made some very valid comments, as you say its a two way thing student & teachers. lots of parents want there kids to live there dream & thats a shame its not fair on the kids.