Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

cost of a prescription drugs ?

cost of a prescription drugs ?

Old Jun 5th 2005, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of
Default cost of a prescription drugs ?

i was just wondering what the cost of a prescription drugs in Melbourne are is it a set fee or will it depend on the drug you need.do you register with a doctor, and what costs are involved
(zoton)

Last edited by robert cowan; Jun 5th 2005 at 9:44 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 9:38 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of a prescription drugs ?

Drugs that are on the PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, most common drugs are) cost a maximum of around $23 or $4.60 if you are a low income earner or have a concession card.

Can't help with the doctors in Melb, it sounds like its quite different down there to up here.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Drugs that are on the PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, most common drugs are) cost a maximum of around $23 or $4.60 if you are a low income earner or have a concession card.

Can't help with the doctors in Melb, it sounds like its quite different down there to up here.
Hi MrsD,

You mentioned that the 'maximum' cost is likely to be around $23, I just wondered what the 'average' sort of price was. I know thats hard to narrow down because its entirely dependant on the drugs, but lets say for example an antibiotic, pescription painkiller, or something relatively common.... Just curious.......

Netta
Old Jun 5th 2005, 11:58 pm
ABCDiamond

There is also a safety net threshold on Pharmaceutical benefits.

Information from: http://www1.health.gov.au/pbs/contents/explain5.htm

There are two safety net thresholds - one for general patients and the other for concessional patients.

The general patient safety net threshold is currently $874.90. (2005 rates). When patients and/or their families reach this amount, they can apply for a Safety Net Concession Card and pay only $4.60 per prescription for the rest of the calendar year.

The concessional safety net threshold is $239.20 (this also applies to gold, white and orange card-holders under the RPBS). Once patients and/or their families reach this amount, they can apply for a Safety Net Entitlement Card and receive items free of charge for the rest of the calendar year.

Last two prescriptions we got were $10.05 and $23.70

These links will give an idea of prices you can pay: http://www.pharmacydirect.com.au
or
http://www.discountdrugstores.com.au/A-D.htm

I just checked one item on there, and they charge $13.50 for something that our local chemist charges $19.55. There was a TV program recently on chemists and how they charge so much for things !!

Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:00 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
Hi MrsD,

You mentioned that the 'maximum' cost is likely to be around $23, I just wondered what the 'average' sort of price was. I know thats hard to narrow down because its entirely dependant on the drugs, but lets say for example an antibiotic, pescription painkiller, or something relatively common.... Just curious.......

Netta
Hi Netta,

Sorry!! the maximum amount now is $28.60, it went up a little while back from the $23 . You are right, it varies greatly with the drugs. I can only go on the ones I've had recently (that I can remember or check on) or our regular drugs (being a household of sickies ). Here are some we've had -

$8 for some antibiotics for one of the boys
$13 & $18 for Thyroxin (2 different dosages)
$28 for a PPI
$9 for a prescription NSAID
$15 for a prescription painkiller (Mersyndol Forte)
$23 for dexamphetamine (when it was $23 max, so I guess it would be $28 now?)

ABC is absolutely correct about the price of drugs differing in different pharmacies as well, if anyone wants cheap drugs (sounds dodgy, doesnt it? LOL), try this place, based here in Brisbane, you can order online or go into one of their 2 stores, they are excellent!

www.epharmacy.com.au
Old Jun 6th 2005, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

thank you all for the info
Old Jun 6th 2005, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Netta,

Sorry!! the maximum amount now is $28.60, it went up a little while back from the $23 . You are right, it varies greatly with the drugs. I can only go on the ones I've had recently (that I can remember or check on) or our regular drugs (being a household of sickies ). Here are some we've had -

$8 for some antibiotics for one of the boys
$13 & $18 for Thyroxin (2 different dosages)
$28 for a PPI
$9 for a prescription NSAID
$15 for a prescription painkiller (Mersyndol Forte)
$23 for dexamphetamine (when it was $23 max, so I guess it would be $28 now?)

ABC is absolutely correct about the price of drugs differing in different pharmacies as well, if anyone wants cheap drugs (sounds dodgy, doesnt it? LOL), try this place, based here in Brisbane, you can order online or go into one of their 2 stores, they are excellent!

www.epharmacy.com.au
Hi MrsD,
Thanks for the info and the website. Looks like a lot of prescribed drugs are a lot cheaper in Oz. Its not that we're a couple of hypochondriacs, it just that I have this god awful sinus problem, which rears its ugly head now and again, and it costs me a fortune in the UK for prescription charges. Looks like I'll be saving money in Oz. My consultant rather ironically recommended we move somewhere where the airs a lot cleaner. I'm not sure Brisbane will cure me, but its got to be a lot better than Essex or London. I'll just keep breathing those bayside breezes at the weekend........can't wait!

Oh and thanks ABCDiamond for your comments as well.

Netta
Old Jun 6th 2005, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Have just looked on the website and it costs $48.55 for a 4 week supply of just one of my sons regular medications :scared: . and $28.60 for another.

Think I'm going to have to get another job

Tracey
Old Jun 6th 2005, 11:58 pm
Rocket Scientist

Robert - I just saw that you take Zoton, I used to take that too (changed to Nexium now), it used to cost me the max $28.

Netta - I guess it depends on what sets it off. If its smog then yes, coming here may improve it. Hopefully its not pollens & dust, cos that may make it worse .

Tracey - what medication is he on? As the first one is obviously not on the PBS list, maybe there is something else that he could swap to that is on the PBS?
Old Jun 7th 2005, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Robert - I just saw that you take Zoton, I used to take that too (changed to Nexium now), it used to cost me the max $28.

Netta - I guess it depends on what sets it off. If its smog then yes, coming here may improve it. Hopefully its not pollens & dust, cos that may make it worse .

Tracey - what medication is he on? As the first one is obviously not on the PBS list, maybe there is something else that he could swap to that is on the PBS?
Hi,
it's montelukast, a tablet he takes for his asthma. I don't know if there is any alternative because it is a relatively new drug.
Couldn't risk not giving him it as it has dramatically improved his condition. Will have to see if I can find out at work today.

Tracey.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 5:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Hi,
it's montelukast, a tablet he takes for his asthma. I don't know if there is any alternative because it is a relatively new drug.
Couldn't risk not giving him it as it has dramatically improved his condition. Will have to see if I can find out at work today.

Tracey.
From 1 February 2003 Montelukast was added to the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) for first line, long-term preventive monotherapy for children with frequent episodic asthma and mild persistent asthma.

I assumed that would mean it would be priced at $28.60 ? Have you asked the Doctor or Chemist about the pricing ?

Old Jun 7th 2005, 7:09 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
From 1 February 2003 Montelukast was added to the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) for first line, long-term preventive monotherapy for children with frequent episodic asthma and mild persistent asthma.

I assumed that would mean it would be priced at $28.60 ? Have you asked the Doctor or Chemist about the pricing ?
Tracey is in the UK ABC .
Old Jun 7th 2005, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

As Mrs. D. said, I am still in the UK but heading out soon. $28.60 seems much more reasonable. Thanks for the info

Tracey
Old Jun 7th 2005, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

could you tell me which website to look on for nexium as the price of nexium on http://www.pharmacydirect.com.au costs more than zoton. also could you tell me how much it costs each time you visit the doctor for a prescription or can you ring up for a repeat like in the uk. could you give a breakdown of general medical costs or does your insurance (if you have one cover this) we hardly ever visit the doc in the uk, there is just me with my hiatus hernia that needs the zoton. just wondering whether to take out insurance or just pay when we need to. also any info on dentists would be much appreciated
thanks
marie
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:46 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by robert cowan
could you tell me which website to look on for nexium as the price of nexium on http://www.pharmacydirect.com.au costs more than zoton. also could you tell me how much it costs each time you visit the doctor for a prescription or can you ring up for a repeat like in the uk. could you give a breakdown of general medical costs or does your insurance (if you have one cover this) we hardly ever visit the doc in the uk, there is just me with my hiatus hernia that needs the zoton. just wondering whether to take out insurance or just pay when we need to. also any info on dentists would be much appreciated
thanks
marie
Doctors (GP's) costs can vary depending on if you have a local one that Bulk Bills. I've been fortunate and have almost always used ones that do Bulk Bill. I paid about $10 when I first moved to QLD, before I found one that didn't charge.
"Bulk Billing" is where the Doctor gets paid by Medicare direct, and doesn't charge any higher than 85% of the stipulated Medicare rate .

Dentists are a different matter.

Nexium 20mg Tablets 30 Sigma $28.60
Nexium 40mg Tablets 30 Sigma $28.60
Nexium HP7 Pack Sigma $28.60

Zoton 15mg Capsules 30 Wyeth Australia $28.60
Zoton 30mg Capsules 30 Wyeth Australia $28.60

both from http://www.epharmacy.com.au

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.