Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of owning a car in Sydney

Cost of owning a car in Sydney

Old Jan 19th 2009, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Cost of owning a car in Sydney

I'm sure it has been discussed before somewhere but I'm being a bit lazy here (perhaps a little spoiled as well). I'll appreciate if you anyone can throw some light on the cost of maintaining a car in Sydney. What are the cost components (registration, insurance, duties, taxes etc.) and what do they depend on? Old car vs. new car? Compulsory vs. optional insurance cover? How are things like registration, insurance etc. done? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cost of owning a car in Sydney

Originally Posted by caliburn
I'm sure it has been discussed before somewhere but I'm being a bit lazy here (perhaps a little spoiled as well). I'll appreciate if you anyone can throw some light on the cost of maintaining a car in Sydney. What are the cost components (registration, insurance, duties, taxes etc.) and what do they depend on? Old car vs. new car? Compulsory vs. optional insurance cover? How are things like registration, insurance etc. done? Thanks in advance.
I could answer.....but I'm feeling a bit lazy too
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:58 pm
ABCDiamond

Stamp duty
NSW - July 2008 :
Stamp duty is $3 for each $100 (or part $100) of the sale price or market value of the car (whichever is greater) up to $45,000, then $5 for each $100 (or part $100) on the amount above $45,000.

Annual Roadworthy Certification (MOT)
NSW - Light vehicles, unless exempt, require an annual inspection. Normally called a Pink Slip

Vehicle Registration costs
All vehicles need to be registered annually, in the same way as British vehicles have to pay for Road Fund Licence. Here it is called registration or REGO,
The costs vary between the States, and the vehicle engines sizes
Current prices can be found at:
NSW New South Wales Motor Vehicle Registration fees

Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Stamp duty
NSW - July 2008 :
Stamp duty is $3 for each $100 (or part $100) of the sale price or market value of the car (whichever is greater) up to $45,000, then $5 for each $100 (or part $100) on the amount above $45,000.

Annual Roadworthy Certification (MOT)
NSW - Light vehicles, unless exempt, require an annual inspection. Normally called a Pink Slip

Vehicle Registration costs
All vehicles need to be registered annually, in the same way as British vehicles have to pay for Road Fund Licence. Here it is called registration or REGO,
The costs vary between the States, and the vehicle engines sizes
Current prices can be found at:
NSW New South Wales Motor Vehicle Registration fees
Thanks a lot ABCDiamond. Does MOT cost anything? Also, what kind of insurance is mandatory and what is not?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MartinH
I could answer.....but I'm feeling a bit lazy too
Ha..hhe..ha... I don't blame ya... mate