Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of nannies/maids

Cost of nannies/maids

Old Aug 19th 2005, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

alexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond repute
Question Cost of nannies/maids

We wanted to bring our maid (whose as much part of the family) with us but there is no provision on 457 application for domestic staff and her visa would be denied- and I can't adopt a thirtyfive year old!!!.

Since we have two babies, and my wife has never lived without servants, I am worried how she will cope. She says she is up to the challenge of being a proper stay at home mum taking care of children and home, but I have only seen my dear wife cook three times in four years, and have never seen her clean the house.

I have faith that my wife will be fine eventually, but to make her transition easier, I wanted to know whether it is possible to get live-in nannies/aupairs/maids in Oz or at least a cleaner to come in once a week.
If so how much does it cost?

Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2005, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cost of nannies/maids

Originally Posted by alexleeson
We wanted to bring our maid (whose as much part of the family) with us but there is no provision on 457 application for domestic staff and her visa would be denied- and I can't adopt a thirtyfive year old!!!.

Since we have two babies, and my wife has never lived without servants, I am worried how she will cope. She says she is up to the challenge of being a proper stay at home mum taking care of children and home, but I have only seen my dear wife cook three times in four years, and have never seen her clean the house.

I have faith that my wife will be fine eventually, but to make her transition easier, I wanted to know whether it is possible to get live-in nannies/aupairs/maids in Oz or at least a cleaner to come in once a week.

Thanks
Yes of course you can. Don't believe all those stories about it being a classless, egalitarian society down here. There are many agencies to whom you can apply after your arrival, and plenty of UK girls on work visas registered with them if you feel more comfortable with that, being a smoother transition for the kiddywinks. Cleaners aplenty too, mostly Asian and do a jolly fine job. Dial-out home-deliver gourmet meal services, automatic ducted vacuum cleaning systems, we have it all. Can't advise you on costs, sorry, I'm a DIY kind of person. Don't want strangers tramping through my house, shuffling things around in my kitchen, being unkind to my cats etc
Old Aug 19th 2005, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Thanks
Hello
Sorry the short answer is there is no scheme to bring bring in a domestic, but here is the link, so it can be done (at least I think this is relevant)
http://www.immi.gov.au/jakarta/dom_work/4.0.htm

Live in nanny help is not as common in Australia as it is in the UK, that said it is available. I would google it there must be agencies, this is the one I found
http://www.tinieschildcare.com.au/index.html

Cleaners, if this is all you want very common, not expensive and readily available, tonnes in the yellow pages in just about every area.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

alexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both of you... you have relieved some worries!

I now just have to work out how much it would cost and whether we can really afford it.

If anyone out there can help with an idea of cost that would be great.

Cheers..
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:03 am
BLC

Thanks
Plenty in Sydney - Dial an Angel comes to mind, I think they are around the country too.

I note in one of your threads that you are looking at earning $90k pa supporting you, your wife, soon to be three little ones and domestic help as well as buy a home.

In Sydney, a little different to Melbourne maybe for cost of living we had a combined income of $90k and luckily we had simple tastes, it is not as cheap as it seems. Not sure of anyone can shed a little light on this for you.

I think your wife will have to find a love of being a Domestic Goddess

Wish you well in your search.

B

Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:05 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Funny that, 'cos I asked Dave to make me a cup of tea this morning and he said 'what did your last servant die of?' - which is obviously not the case, as he is very much alive and kicking and I'm definately taking him to Oz!

Nicky
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:06 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

i would imagine if you search the online aussie yellow pages for agencies and such they will send you info......a friend who went over several years ago used an agency that supplied au pairs...but they were mainly uk or us girls on whv's who proved very unreliable.
where are you heading? if its brisbane, there is a nanny who was available for part time work on the brisbane expats site...if thats where you are heading, let me know and i will send you the link.
good luck!
Sue
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:08 am
BLC

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
mainly uk or us girls on whv's who proved very unreliable.
Sue
This is very true unfortunately, to them it is more free bed and board and more often than not they have little experience with children, I would not consider them.

B

Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

I see your problem, all the Ozzie nannies are in England making £££!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BLC

I note in one of your threads that you are looking at earning $90k pa supporting you, your wife, soon to be three little ones and domestic help as well as buy a home.

In Sydney, a little different to Melbourne maybe for cost of living we had a combined income of $90k and luckily we had simple tastes, it is not as cheap as it seems. Not sure of anyone can shed a little light on this for you.

I think your wife will have to find a love of being a Domestic Goddess

Wish you well in your search.

B
My wife actually has this ideal image of being an old fashioned housewife - but I just know she will be shocked with the reality of it, especially looking after our newest addition. She just hasn't experienced it.

We do live very simple lives - i.e., we are not into materialistic consumerism.. and I am thinking the only luxury would be some help for my wife in cleaning/laundry - so all she has to worry about is cooking and looking after the kids..

As for the 90k - it will be with nice allowances so it will be about 6k net a month - which I know is very comfortable. Buying a home will be after a year... when we decide to go for PR or not....
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BLC
This is very true unfortunately, to them it is more free bed and board and more often than not they have little experience with children, I would not consider them.

B
Surely it depends on the agency? If it is a bona fide nanny agency they will ensure all their girls have the proper qualifications and references. I wasn't suggesting an ad in the paper or someone general like Worldwide Workers.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:56 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Thanks
I'm amazed, given your circumstances, that you are sorting this out yourself cos it's a bit trivial for a supposedly wealthy person me finx...but then maybe not for a troll

Failing this, and you are genuine then why ask such a bloody stoopid question in the first place?

To afford this lifestyle means you are obviously, supposedly intelligent and therefore you'd know nannies, au pairs and maids exist in Australia as it's not a third world country. Which now leads me to believe you are obviously not a well informed or well travelled troll either

Maybe you need to ask if there are any bridges in Aus

Old Aug 19th 2005, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Made a cock up of my last reply - 2 kids begging me for a bed time story and a husband hanging around my neck, wanting some attention. All this after I've been at work all day, come home, cleaned the house, made a scrummy home cooked meal for us all and planned the weeks shopping and meals list, done a load of laundry and a basket of ironing. That's without adding in the factor of me studying full time as of next January for a 4 year degree course.

Anyway, seems to me, you need to tell your wife to get her finger out, not least for the fact that the $$$ you will be spending on 'help' could go towards your's or your childrens futures.

My gran had 10 children (crap husband who sodded off) and she worked too. Every kid was spotlessly clean (she'd have it no other way), the house was like a new pin, even though they didn't have a pot to piss in and she never once moaned or complained. Even if she had the $$$, she'd have never considered any help. Your kids, your house, your respect and responsibility.

Rather than shell out on 'help', I suggest you invest in a few decent cook books and a good set of kitchen utensils, pots and pans, get your 'dear wife' a self-help book on self respect and tell her to count herself lucky. FORGET the rest.

If she balks at that - tell her you're going to trade her in for a cheaper, less high maintenance model.

In all seriousness though, if you are moving half way around the world and have the gumption to do so, looking after three kids and a house all day should be a breeze...God knows, if that's all I had to do, I'd be laughing out loud heartily....

(Mind you, I laugh out loud heartily anyway - the more the day holds for me, the more the challenge. )
Old Aug 19th 2005, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
I'm amazed, given your circumstances, that you are sorting this out yourself cos it's a bit trivial for a supposedly wealthy person me finx...but then maybe not for a troll

Failing this, and you are genuine then why ask such a bloody stoopid question in the first place?

To afford this lifestyle means you are obviously, supposedly intelligent and therefore you'd know nannies, au pairs and maids exist in Australia as it's not a third world country. Which now leads me to believe you are obviously not a well informed or well travelled troll either

Maybe you need to ask if there are any bridges in Aus
FYI - maids and nannies are actually less usual in first world countries compared to third world countries (where i am seconded right now), because of the costs of labor. So I assume you are the one that is not well travelled....

Also I don't think caring for my wife's transition in Oz is at all trivial...

I was just getting info, more on the cost of it rather than existence. I didn't know if there are agencies like in UK. I was hoping someone has experience to share.

Now unless you have something helpful to share on this matter, I suggest you don't say anything at all..
Old Aug 19th 2005, 9:37 am
ABCDiamond

I was just getting info, more on the cost of it rather than existence. I didn't know if there are agencies like in UK. I was hoping someone has experience to share.
We have friends from Malaysia, who have had to go without their Maids, due to the costs in this country, and she manages, although..... Let's just say she "manages".

If they were the same cost as in the Asian countries, I am sure we would have a couple of them too. But Australian minimum wage rules make it out of the question.

Good luck with the transition ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.