Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living - to Willywh3r3

Cost of Living - to Willywh3r3

Old May 2nd 2003, 11:41 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

This was an older post from last Aug 2002 and I agree it is very well written and researched but I have one word of caution - the person posting was on combined 87K a year with one person working part time......it is not my experience here in Sydney that that is a normal salary for most of us. I am in IT and very well paid because I am in Sydney. My relative salary in Perth would be about 70K plus benefits. My husband here in Sydney earns less than 30K without commission which does not add masses.

Do not shout me down in flames I am only saying this cause it was one of the biggest shocks I had when coming over here trying to manage on our money. I am looking fondly at a possible six month contract in the UK to bolster our earnings!

I know I am in Sydney and trying to live in the close suburbs, and we will have a massive mortgage so that scews our costs. Our current rental is 2500 per month. My Aunt and Uncle have lived in Perth for over 30 years and he works out of Indonesia on the mining to make good money.

Please inform me if I am wrong about average salaries in Perth....cause I may ask for a pay rise

Cheers Sandra
Old May 3rd 2003, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

mikeburt is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the emphasis was that they don't have a mortgage which makes all this possible.Your monthly rent is twice their monthly outgoings accepting for food-so the moral of this one has to be to move out of Sydney,buy a house and save yourself $30,000 a year on something you don't even own!
Old Sep 18th 2003, 3:37 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a great post. It's over a year old, but still very informative. Just thought that maybe some other peeps would like to see it (plus I'm bored at work!)

V