Reload this Page >

Cost of living - VIC

Cost of living - VIC

Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Kimbodia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living - VIC

Hi All

My husband and I have been giving thought to a big move down under, we are looking at Victoria based on his work background, Mechanical Design Engineer and a state sponsorship. We have an 18 month old daughter and hope to have another child in the next year or so.

We live a comfortable and happy life in the UK, own (mortgaged) a lovely roomy home and generally enjoy life but love the idea of an adventure and a crack at a different lifestyle, we don't want to grow old having never tried something different. We'd love to try living somewhere with a better climate that the UK (I know Victoria isn't Queensland weather but its still warmer than the UK and may be the only state available to us for now). We currently live off my husbands sole wage whilst I take a career break to be a mum, I plan to be off work for the next 4 years or so.

We are looking for help/advice on the cost of living, we've read very mixed reports about Australia, some saying its a great place to be, others saying its painfully expensive compared to the UK and not to go! Can anyone give their thoughts on this? We're not looking to be rich, but don't want to move to the other side of the world to struggle with everyday life.